Can't wrap my head around PopUpandMenuBackground.pcx and popupborders.pcx files

CorvusFortis

Prince
Long story short, in-game result is a mess with visible borders between texture slices. I'll attach screenshots and files themselves.

1690385740750.png

Any ideas how to fix it?

Attachments

• PopUpandMenuBackground.pcx
    297.1 KB · Views: 9
  • popupborders.pcx
    39.7 KB · Views: 12
My solution was to avoid the problem by just having the background be noise, with a border at the outer edges. Inelegant but simple.

lol "Did you take your medication?" That ruler is going to find his neck in a guillotine if he ain't careful.

Attachments

• PopUpandMenuBackground.pcx
    67.2 KB · Views: 9
  • popupborders.pcx
    17.1 KB · Views: 9
CorvusFortis... The Main problem is the popupborders.pcx has the transparent colors in the wrong palette slots... they go at the end.

The PopUpand MenuBackground.pcx is OK with leaving the Transparent slots as Black because there is no pure Black in the image. That said it is a good idea to place the same transparent colors as is used in the original file.

Generally, it is best to use a texture image for the popupborders.pcx that will not matter how the tiles are placed together in the game.

If the images you are using are what you want, these files should correct your problem.

Attachments

• Files.zip
    186.2 KB · Views: 12
My solution was to avoid the problem by just having the background be noise, with a border at the outer edges. Inelegant but simple.

Hmm, well, it definitely works, but looks completely incompatible with the rest of the interface. My inner perfectionist would kill me any moment now.

CorvusFortis... The Main problem is the popupborders.pcx has the transparent colors in the wrong palette slots... they go at the end.

Thank you, didn't pay attention. In fact, I don't know why game renders image at all. It should be broken.

But can somebody, please, explain to me, why these files are so complicated and how do they interact with each other? All other interface files are pretty much straightforward compared to these ones.

The Files seem complicated because the files are used in so many areas and combinations, it was simpler to program and use just the two files.

You see how if you have an image on the popupborders.pcx that has differences in the pattern you will see the areas where the small tiles join as seen on the top area of your posted Domestic Advisor Popup ... this is the reason to keep each of those small tiles with "noise" as Anthony Boscia posted or in other words a pattern that will seamlessly go together no matter how those small tiles ate placed together in game.

If you want to see how the files work, make some extra "dummy Files" and color them so they stand out. Look through the game and note the pop ups, etc... You will see how the game uses them in various places.

It is like Electricity... you do not have to really understand it to use it. Just flip on the switch :lol:

Top Bottom