Capturing Enemy Settlers

Hoplite191

Chieftain
I was just playing a game and was at war with Rome when I killed his spearman and captured his settler only to be told that the settler was in fact a worker from France. How does this work?

Would this be a glitch or is there some reason?

Yes but How does Rome turn out to get France's worker that shows up as a settler to me?

I was just playing a game and was at war with Rome when I killed his spearman and captured his settler only to be told that the settler was in fact a worker from France. How does this work?

Would this be a glitch or is there some reason?

You have a good point there, I have never come across this before. It would seem that the AI can capture a settler and it remains a settler until we capture it, then it turns into a worker!!

Barbs capture settlers all the time, they don't turn into workers when I liberate them. I get the option of giving back the settler.

Barbs capture settlers all the time, they don't turn into workers when I liberate them. I get the option of giving back the settler.

I got the option to give back the settler but when I pressed the button the settler turned into a worker. Another thing that is interesting is that I liberated a French Settler from an adjacent encampment the following turn to be given the option again. However when I returned it this time it didn't turn into a worker.

Very Odd.

I got the option to give back the settler but when I pressed the button the settler turned into a worker. Another thing that is interesting is that I liberated a French Settler from an adjacent encampment the following turn to be given the option again. However when I returned it this time it didn't turn into a worker.

Very Odd.

It turns into a worker only if you keep it, otherwise stays settler.

You have a good point there, I have never come across this before. It would seem that the AI can capture a settler and it remains a settler until we capture it, then it turns into a worker!!

This could be the simplest explanation and the correct one. It would make sense for the AI to be able to capture a settler and keep it a settler. Thus when I captured it and gave it back to the French the game would have read it as me having clear possession of the unit turning it into a worker with the "return the unit" option returning the former settler as a worker after my possession of the unit.

No disrespect intended but the BARBARIAN capture of settlers and the consequences are common knowledge to even the most novice of players, and we are all aware that they turn into workers once we capture them.

The OP's point is a reference to AI civ capturing another AI civ settler and the said settler remaining as a settler whilst in the new AI civ's hands.

If this is not a glitch but just a normal game mechanic, then this would go some way to explaining why we often have run away civ's at the higher difficulty levels!

Seems if you capture a settler that wasn't originally yours, (and don't return it if asked) it turns into a worker. Any other settler capture makes it remain a settler. Another "My Rules Are Not Your Rules" moment to add to the pile.

Top Bottom