Caveman 2 Cosmos (ideas/discussions thread)

Q?

why aren't the "dogs", i set them to attack anything near city, they detect exiles and stuff, BUT dont attack?? i thought that was the main purpose of dogs??
When you automate anythng to do anything you're basically telling it to do what the AI would do with it, with certain objective parameters. It's possible the dogs aren't getting great odds or the AI just doesn't see the value in that attack as you do - perhaps because they'd use a different unit to attack with in that case. Generally, dogs are for spotting foes good at camouflage and mopping up battles, not starting them, but that does depend a bit on some option settings in use. In Uncut and non-SM games, they are strong enough usually to be a valid attacker so why they aren't choosing to attack would be a subject for deep study and analysis on a unit in a specific situation to walk through how the AI has processed the decision. It's all very mathematical and based on a lot of factors. Remember, a while back, Koshling added a 'what's the reward?' element to whether the AI would attack, as well as a 'will I likely be killed afterward, even if I win?' consideration, whereas standard Vanilla usually only asked, 'can I win this battle?' consideration, along with possibly, "if I can't win, will the rest of the units with me be able to follow up and win after this battle is lost?" segment to the equation.

When you automate anythng to do anything you're basically telling it to do what the AI would do with it, with certain objective parameters. It's possible the dogs aren't getting great odds or the AI just doesn't see the value in that attack as you do - perhaps because they'd use a different unit to attack with in that case. Generally, dogs are for spotting foes good at camouflage and mopping up battles, not starting them, but that does depend a bit on some option settings in use. In Uncut and non-SM games, they are strong enough usually to be a valid attacker so why they aren't choosing to attack would be a subject for deep study and analysis on a unit in a specific situation to walk through how the AI has processed the decision. It's all very mathematical and based on a lot of factors. Remember, a while back, Koshling added a 'what's the reward?' element to whether the AI would attack, as well as a 'will I likely be killed afterward, even if I win?' consideration, whereas standard Vanilla usually only asked, 'can I win this battle?' consideration, along with possibly, "if I can't win, will the rest of the units with me be able to follow up and win after this battle is lost?" segment to the equation.
He probably activated or left active "stay by hand" status - you can lose track on it when micromanaging a lot.

He probably activated or left active "stay by hand" status - you can lose track on it when micromanaging a lot.
Possibly - it's not usually something that dogs end up selecting - certainly not by default. There ARE some failures to attack in the AI where it seems they should sometimes.

Been listening to these. I don't play with music or sound on at all so I'm completely ambivalent about music selections in the mod itself, but these ARE pretty cool to hear in general. I dig it. Of course, there are lyrics, so that's usually out for the mod.

Good to hear that you like them, if you want I also know this one (who was an critical medieval music, who criticising...the medieval order (yes that existed))

But, badly, even as good as they are, I don't know an version of them who could be only instrumental.

Goody huts no longer give Medieval and later era techs.

Those techs are too complex for indigenous tribes.
I have to admit that it was hilarious when a couple families of islanders isolated during millennia are able to grant you the knowledge needed to build antimatter rockets.

I have to admit that it was hilarious when a couple families of islanders isolated during millennia are able to grant you the knowledge needed to build antimatter rockets.
Well most advanced techs, that they could grant were in Atomic era, when I cleaned them.

@Thunderbrd after I set event chance for all eras to 100 game got much more eventful in Prehistoric era.
I'm testing that on Prehistoric/Duel/Noble, so AI won't slow game by much.
I could increase it to 25 or 50 so game could break monotony :p

Events don't show every turn, just every couple turns - I guess there is event cooldown.

Code:
        <DefineName>FIRST_EVENT_DELAY_TURNS</DefineName>
        <iDefineIntVal>20</iDefineIntVal>
- No events in first 20 turns (not sure if scaled for game speed).

Last edited:
@Thunderbrd after I set event chance for all eras to 100 game got much more eventful in Prehistoric era.
Is that really a good thing? I think we'd turned it down because it can too easily mean we get constant volcanoes going off and too common repeats of events given that there is such a limited number of applicable events that can happen.

I don't usually get to experience them anyhow because when you play MP as I do when I play with my wife, you MUST turn events off because our event programmers apparently don't know how to make events not cause OOS errors - and not being a py programmer, I don't either so I really don't know how to fix those. All I know is it causes OOS errors nearly every other turn or so. For this reason, I'm kind of apathetic towards events in general.

I do kind of enjoy not having to worry about buildings burning down though. Keep in mind that the scaling of the chances on that is supposed to be connected to the flammability fixed property level in the city.

Is that really a good thing? I think we'd turned it down because it can too easily mean we get constant volcanoes going off and too common repeats of events given that there is such a limited number of applicable events that can happen.

I don't usually get to experience them anyhow because when you play MP as I do when I play with my wife, you MUST turn events off because our event programmers apparently don't know how to make events not cause OOS errors - and not being a py programmer, I don't either so I really don't know how to fix those. All I know is it causes OOS errors nearly every other turn or so. For this reason, I'm kind of apathetic towards events in general.

I do kind of enjoy not having to worry about buildings burning down though. Keep in mind that the scaling of the chances on that is supposed to be connected to the flammability fixed property level in the city.
I think problem with most common events is that they have bit high weight.
Joseph set them to 10 and later to 7 for earlier eras after StrategyOnly set them to 30 - 50.
I set them to 10 in all eras.

I think event soft cooldown could be added.
That is weight of eventtrigger, that was activated would be divided by 5 for 10 turns for example.
It could be cumulative, if event triggered 5 turns after it got last triggered, then its weight would be divided by 25 for 15 turns.
If event trigger weight would be already 1 when it happened, then soft cap would turn it off by setting it to 0.

And yeah volcanoes and buildings burning down were annoying, but I liked those rarer events.

There are 417 events (unique EVENTTRIGGER entries), and 341 with positive weight.
Some events may have too low weight or have too restricting requirements.

Last edited:
I think problem with most common events is that they have bit high weight.
Joseph set them to 10 and later to 7 for earlier eras after StrategyOnly set them to 30 - 50.
I set them to 10 in all eras.

I think event soft cooldown could be added.
That is weight of eventtrigger, that was activated would be divided by 5 for 10 turns for example.
It could be cumulative, if event triggered 5 turns after it got last triggered, then its weight would be divided by 25 for 15 turns.
If event trigger weight would be already 1 when it happened, then soft cap would turn it off by setting it to 0.

And yeah volcanoes and buildings burning down were annoying, but I liked those rarer events.

There are 417 events (unique EVENTTRIGGER entries), and 341 with positive weight.
Some events may have too low weight or have too restricting requirements.
I reduced them from constant player gripes over them. And from own experience of getting the same one over and over. If you make events Too common then players will turn them off. They become an annoyance not something to "liven the play up".

Also another reason was the Now super elongated GSs. There is only so many times in the 1st 1000 turns that you will tolerate the same repetitive distructive Event to happen in your game before you get fed up with All Events.

I reduced them from constant player gripes over them. And from own experience of getting the same one over and over. If you make events Too common then players will turn them off. They become an annoyance not something to "liven the play up".

Also another reason was the Now super elongated GSs. There is only so many times in the 1st 1000 turns that you will tolerate the same repetitive distructive Event to happen in your game before you get fed up with All Events.
I guess cooldown should be added to events so they wouldn't show up for a while after being triggered last time.

Volcanoes are annoying. I had one suddenly pop up in my empire where none had been before, I get this. I mean, look at Surtsey. But what got frustrating was it seemed to erupt way too often. I had to have a builder roam around the area just to constantly rebuild a farm, or mine, etc. And sometimes it wiped out my worker. Is there a certain amount a time that passes wherein it becomes extinct?

Volcanoes are annoying. I had one suddenly pop up in my empire where none had been before, I get this. I mean, look at Surtsey. But what got frustrating was it seemed to erupt way too often. I had to have a builder roam around the area just to constantly rebuild a farm, or mine, etc. And sometimes it wiped out my worker. Is there a certain amount a time that passes wherein it becomes extinct?
Well this stuff is random.
I could reduce event probability for Prehistoric back to 7.

Last edited:
Hello,

I've an issue with the unit hover window. In my capital I have a large stack of units (mostly subdued animals and heroes -- I just stockpile them, I'm not really worrying about strategy and whatnot, just having fun with the game); whenever I hover over that large stack (or another city which has a large enough stack of subdued animals), the game lags really hard, becomes choppy etc, when I move the cursor away, everything's fine. It's not a huge problem, but there are times when I hover over that stack and that inadvertedly causes the game to slow down to a crawl.

Is there an option to perhaps somehow limit the info displayed in that window? Or perhaps some graphics option I should use to relieve this issue? I've linked a screenshot of the window in question:https://ibb.co/1Tk5JL3

Thank you!
@Thunderbrd, perhaps we should remove the unit promotion from showing in the hover window for unit stacks if there are more than lets say 10 units on the plot or something.
All those .dds icons takes a bit of time to display compared to just displaying regular text.

I'll look into the code for it to see if it's plausible to achieve my suggestion, I may guide Kation through making the change if you (TB) are busy, and he's not.
The relevant code is pretty far down in CvGameTextMgr::setPlotListHelp(...)

(1) The code first counts the units on the plot that are visible. // iNumVisibleUnits

if iNumVisibleUnits > 1 {
(2) One unit is chosen to be displayed in the first line, not the best unit though, quite random what unit it will be. [In jiallombardo screenshot it is 'Tales of Tuna']
▬ This could be changed to choose the best unit. (would require a change in step (3), how units are looped through, so the best unit is not counted again)
(3) All units in the plot (except for the one in step (2)) are mapped to the player that owns it and each unit type is counted uniquely per player; other unit stats are also tallied here.
There is an iCount variable here that keeps track of how many different units there are on the plot (same unit owned by different players are counted per player).
Complicated code that I see no need to mess with more than necessary.
(4) There's some odd code here that is difficult to explain... This is in essence where it displays the cluster of units.
It would be easy to set an "if (iCount < 11) display promotions for the current loop unit" inside this step.
}

I think there are more ways to optimize this piece of code than to reduce the amount of promotion icons showed...
In step (4) it starts by looping through every single unit that exist in the game and for each unit it loops through all 50 players, and if one of those players have at least 1 of the unit it is currently looping through, it will then loop through the map that was generated in step (3)... Seems like an awfully inefficient way to display stuff for a plot when the code at that point knows about all the units on the plot and who owns them...

@Thunderbrd what does it mean when a piece of code has this before and after:

#if 0

codecodecode
codecodecode
#endif

Is it a weird way to comment out the code?

Last edited:
@Thunderbrd what does it mean when a piece of code has this before and after:

#if 0

codecodecode
codecodecode
#endif

Is it a weird way to comment out the code?
Yeah basically. It doesn't compile in at all when it says this. Basically, if this is false, and it always is, then ignore up to the endif. The reason for the difference there is because it's generally set aside to potentially refer to a variable that may actually be established as something - it's usually an edit process that sets this up with the ease of being able to turn it on, recompile, and run with the code included.

Yeah basically. It doesn't compile in at all when it says this. Basically, if this is false, and it always is, then ignore up to the endif. The reason for the difference there is because it's generally set aside to potentially refer to a variable that may actually be established as something - it's usually an edit process that sets this up with the ease of being able to turn it on, recompile, and run with the code included.
I see, then I may have been wrong about the code being awfully inefficient. ^^

what is this all about??

<Tag>TXT_KEY_ROM_HINT_32</Tag>
<English>Caveman2Cosmos: Pressing [ALT+X] turns on the strategy overlay feature that allows you to plan where to put your cities. Pressing same button combination turns it off. To view the strategy overlay just press [CTRL+X].</English>

tried Ctrl+X does nothing? but alt+X brings up a colored kinda chart thingy??

what is this all about??

<Tag>TXT_KEY_ROM_HINT_32</Tag>
<English>Caveman2Cosmos: Pressing [ALT+X] turns on the strategy overlay feature that allows you to plan where to put your cities. Pressing same button combination turns it off. To view the strategy overlay just press [CTRL+X].</English>

tried Ctrl+X does nothing? but alt+X brings up a colored kinda chart thingy??
alt+X is meant to plan your cities with, you can click a plot to set the fat cross on the map, as many as you want. It is remembered per game in the save file so you don't have to chart out every time you load a save.
ctrl-X simply shows/hides the charting without allowing you to edit which plots have a fat cross. ALT for edit, CTRL for show/hide.

I'm surprised you didn't know about the feature, it was something I discovered the first time I tried C2C.

Top Bottom