1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Caveman 2 Cosmos

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by strategyonly, Aug 25, 2008.

1. astrohawke

astrohawke Chieftain

Realistic corporations is something that needs to be looked into as it is insanely annoying and frustrating to play with. The algorithm that determines if a corporation spreads or leaves a city is really messed up. At one point in my game, corporations would pop up in a city and then without fail, leave it the next turn before I could even build the corresponding corporation building. And this happened every single turn for a long time until I got into the mid-late transhuman era where they may stay for 2-3 turns but never longer than that.

I don't know about you, but this is far from realistic. I feel that once corporations enter a city, it shouldn't be able to leave it except under extreme circumstances like that city going into negative gold gain.

2. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

It probably should. I don't know when I'll have time to get around to it.

3. matt1975

matt1975 Chieftain

Something else I found... A little easter egg from SO! :p

Attached Files:

4. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

There's those for all of us I think (I know I've seen them for SO, Hydro, and Koshling).

5. Daedwartin

Daedwartin Emperor

i found just as impressive was the center continent! that would cause some weird weather patterns...maybe hurricanes dont exist?

6. damgo

damgo Chieftain

Actually, yes. First make sure you have debug mode enabled so you can bring up the console in-game... IIRC you need to add the 'chipotle' line to your .ini file. If you don't know what I'm talking about, Google it; there are tons of instructions on how to do it.

Then, in your game, press the ~ key (shift + `). You should see a translucent text console appear in the middle of the screen, and it should say "Python" on the top line followed by some version/build info and then a prompt:

Code:
    Python
    2.4.1 (65, Mar 30 2005, 09:13:57) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)]
    >
    Make sure you see it says Python; if you hit just ` by mistake you'll get a similar-looking but very different console.

With this console you have programmatic access to most of the guts of the game... nearly all of them, in fact. There are a few things you can't do because the designers/modders didn't add Python hooks, but most stuff you can get at just fine. Most of the game-relevant stuff can be accessed through the pre-defined variable gc , which is a CyGlobalContext object. It has a bunch of methods for getting player, team, game, plot, etc. objects. e.g. typing 'print gc.getPlayer(0).getCity(0).getFood()' (without the single quotes, and hitting enter afterwards) will show you the amount of stored food in your capital (normally.) Running 'gc.getPlayer(0).getCity(0).changeFood(-50)' will, unsurprisingly, reduce the amount of food stored in your capital by 50. To figure out how to do other things, you can do things like 'print dir(gc)' or 'print dir(gc.getPlayer(0))' to get a list of the vars/functions in the gc object and the player object respectively; and you can also do 'print gc.getPlayer.__doc__' to get very brief help on the gc.getPlayer function. You can page up / page down to look at things; hitting ~ again will return you to the main screen. The best way to get started is just to look at the API documentation at http://civ4bug.sourceforge.net/PythonAPI/index.html . That's for vanilla BtS, not C2C, but it's still almost all accurate, just missing some of extra things C2C added.

To get back to the main point, in v27, you can change the Realistic Corporations option by entering:

Code:
    gc.getGame().setOption(51, False)
    (51 is the id # for the Realistic Corporations option.) To get a list of all the game options with their current setting and their id #, so you can change them, run the following (admittedly convoluted-looking if you don't know Python) command:

Code:
    for i in range(gc.getNumGameOptionInfos()):  print str("%i %s     %s" % (i, (gc.getGame().isOption(i) and "T") or ".", gc.getGameOptionInfo(i).getText() ))  
    That will list all the options with # and a 'T' for true and '.' for false...

(Incidentally, you can make this kind of hacking easier by defining useful commands like this as functions in the "PyHelpers.py" file inside your Mods/Caveman2Cosmos/Assets/Python/ directory, and then running 'from PyHelpers import *' once each time you start C2C -- reloading doesn't clear it. Then you can run the command with your short function name, instead of having to re-type it each time. I have a bunch of utility commands and classes defined in there to help in inspecting / messing with things.)

7. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

That post was awesome man! THAT should be made a link in the Modder's Documentation section and the Player's How To section!!!

Its funny I'd never considered to do that but it does make a lot of sense.

8. Taxman66

Taxman66 King

I have a setting question.

In various Youtube C2C Lets Plays I've observed people take their subdued animals and plot movement paths to a city. When they do this they get some city information that includes what buildings that animal can create in the city. What is the setting that turns that on? When I try that I don't get the city information at the bottom of the UI.

9. MaXimillionZero

MaXimillionZero Warlord

Not sure if there's a setting that changes that, that should be the default behaviour. If you take an unit that was part of a group though, you have to first separate it into its own group before the buildings show up.

10. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

There is AI for the subdued animals but it is not available for the player. I have not finished putting all the help text on the subdued animals so that just selecting them will show what they can build.

11. CIVPlayer8

CIVPlayer8 Prince

Ignore

12. PKSRoman

PKSRoman Chieftain

i sign in on http://www.moddb.com , try to download C2C and their server still suck balls like crazy, error

The file you have selected (Caveman2Cosmos.7z) is not available via any mirrors. Please check back shortly as our servers update every 5 minutes.

no matter do i click after 1 hour or 3, its still the same, or use Desura and when i download it again, in BUG mode still is written "Cavemen2Cosmos24" and there are many changes like no avaiable is "Corpor-nation" and stuff like that, last avaiable governent is Fascism
    Maybe just make a torrent to download ?

13. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

There is always a torrent link available thx to dima1980 here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=15324&page=3

14. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

OK, I'm off now until the new year. Have a good holiday everyone. We said we would look at the pedia and fix entries in the concepts and strategy areas for v28. I have merged the Civ IV and BtS into Game Concepts and RoM, AND and C2C into C2C Concepts so now we need to look at what is actually written. I have also changed the Animals (Game Concept) and Subdued Animals (C2C Concept) a bit. So over to you for the other concepts. :D

15. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

Have a great holiday, and say Hi to your family from the Great State of Minnesota and well ME!!:p

I dont think i want to do anything soon for version 28, till after Koshling and AIAndy come back, just to make sure everything is kosher, rather than just a thrown together version.

16. Taxman66

Taxman66 King

I'm 95% sure that this is just a settings issue. But does anyone know which setting it is that I need to change so that I can 'see' what the subdued animal can build in the city it is plotted to move to? Right now I don't even get the city to show up on the UI.

17. God-Emperor

God-Emperor Deity

Try holding down the shift key, which allows you to queue up multiple actions for a unit. You can even release the mouse button as if to accept the move and proceed to queue things up (as long as you hold down the shift key, except the tiny percentage of cases where the UI forgets you have the shift key pressed), at which point it usually shows what you can do at the destination when it is otherwise being difficult about it. If you change your mind about going to that city (you may want to check more than one to see what you can do in each) you can click on the red circle with a line through it "cancel" icon to cancel the move before you release the shift key so it won't actually do the move.

18. FangFur

FangFur Chieftain

Confused about a sudden loss of gold income when I have not changed civics and in the middle of research. It appears my number of cities maintenance almost doubled in cost for reasons I dont understand. Is there an explanation for this. Im sure earlier in the game I had a sudden massive drop in income as well. Running SVN from about a week ago.

19. Yudishtira

Yudishtira Spiritual/Creative

Is "Increasing Difficulty" switched on? (If you don't know, check in the BUG options on the 'Caveman2Cosmos' tab)

20. FangFur

FangFur Chieftain

No its not. Im playing on fixed immortal. Literaly my number of cities maintenance jumps from 246 gold to 432 gold.