Caveman 2 Cosmos

it is true i am not playing on the very newest svn (11355 from july 20th) and the building entry doesnt say anything about it for me either, however the "add tale to the city" action does mention the cave paintings and the city which has replaced it with Fresco Mural gets reduced culture/science from them now (was 5culture 3science before, now 3culture 1science)

it is true i am not playing on the very newest svn (11355 from july 20th) and the building entry doesnt say anything about it for me either, however the "add tale to the city" action does mention the cave paintings and the city which has replaced it with Fresco Mural gets reduced culture/science from them now (was 5culture 3science before, now 3culture 1science)
Ah I thought you were talking about building itself, not unit action affected by building
So I can add Fresco Mural as valid thing there.

Is this intended?
Cave Paintings increase Culture and Science from animal tales added to the city but when replacing Cave Paintings with Fresco Mural that bonus gets removed.
Yeah probably. The knowledge boost one obtains that way only takes one so far into advancing civilization.

It's probably a define on the outcome mission xml btw.

Yeah probably. The knowledge boost one obtains that way only takes one so far into advancing civilization.

It's probably a define on the outcome mission xml btw.
This exists
Code:
<OutcomeInfo>
           <Type>OUTCOME_ANIMAL_RECORD_TALE_UNIVERSITY</Type>
           <Description>TXT_KEY_OUTCOME_ANIMAL_RECORD_TALE_UNI</Description>
           <Message>TXT_KEY_OUTCOME_ANIMAL_RECORD_TALE_MESSAGE</Message>
           <PrereqBuildings>
               <BuildingType>BUILDING_UNIVERSITY</BuildingType>
           </PrereqBuildings>
           <bNeutralTerritory>0</bNeutralTerritory>
           <bHostileTerritory>0</bHostileTerritory>
           <bCity>1</bCity>
           <ReplaceOutcomes>
               <OutcomeType>OUTCOME_ANIMAL_RECORD_TALE_ORAL</OutcomeType>
               <OutcomeType>OUTCOME_ANIMAL_RECORD_TALE_ORAL_STORY</OutcomeType>
               <OutcomeType>OUTCOME_ANIMAL_RECORD_TALE_ORAL_CAVE</OutcomeType>
               <OutcomeType>OUTCOME_ANIMAL_RECORD_TALE_ORAL_FRESCO</OutcomeType>
               <OutcomeType>OUTCOME_ANIMAL_RECORD_TALE_SCRIBE</OutcomeType>
               <OutcomeType>OUTCOME_ANIMAL_RECORD_TALE_LIBRARY</OutcomeType>
           </ReplaceOutcomes>
       </OutcomeInfo>
So it was oversight

I created OUTCOME_ANIMAL_RECORD_TALE_ORAL_FRESCO, that is equal or better compared to OUTCOME_ANIMAL_RECORD_TALE_ORAL_CAVE (land and sea animals act differently it seems)

You can now update to latest SVN, as I fixed it.

Last edited:
This exists
Code:
<OutcomeInfo>
           <Type>OUTCOME_ANIMAL_RECORD_TALE_UNIVERSITY</Type>
           <Description>TXT_KEY_OUTCOME_ANIMAL_RECORD_TALE_UNI</Description>
           <Message>TXT_KEY_OUTCOME_ANIMAL_RECORD_TALE_MESSAGE</Message>
           <PrereqBuildings>
               <BuildingType>BUILDING_UNIVERSITY</BuildingType>
           </PrereqBuildings>
           <bNeutralTerritory>0</bNeutralTerritory>
           <bHostileTerritory>0</bHostileTerritory>
           <bCity>1</bCity>
           <ReplaceOutcomes>
               <OutcomeType>OUTCOME_ANIMAL_RECORD_TALE_ORAL</OutcomeType>
               <OutcomeType>OUTCOME_ANIMAL_RECORD_TALE_ORAL_STORY</OutcomeType>
               <OutcomeType>OUTCOME_ANIMAL_RECORD_TALE_ORAL_CAVE</OutcomeType>
               <OutcomeType>OUTCOME_ANIMAL_RECORD_TALE_ORAL_FRESCO</OutcomeType>
               <OutcomeType>OUTCOME_ANIMAL_RECORD_TALE_SCRIBE</OutcomeType>
               <OutcomeType>OUTCOME_ANIMAL_RECORD_TALE_LIBRARY</OutcomeType>
           </ReplaceOutcomes>
       </OutcomeInfo>
So it was oversight

I created OUTCOME_ANIMAL_RECORD_TALE_ORAL_FRESCO, that is equal or better compared to OUTCOME_ANIMAL_RECORD_TALE_ORAL_CAVE (land and sea animals act differently it seems)

You can now update to latest SVN, as I fixed it.
Yeah... just made sense that it didn't continue past prehistoric. I'm sure DH meant it to end at that point because animal images can only contribute to improved research from studying them for so long. Some things don't keep being better as time goes on and there's sometimes cause - this is one of those I think.

Yeah... just made sense that it didn't continue past prehistoric. I'm sure DH meant it to end at that point because animal images can only contribute to improved research from studying them for so long. Some things don't keep being better as time goes on and there's sometimes cause - this is one of those I think.
It always continued past Prehistoric era.
Scribe, Library, and University being present cause different values for subdued animals unit actions - mostly focus switches to culture
So it was issue with replacement, that was there for long time

It simply reverted to earlier present building, as that one was replaced.
Then it resumed once you got Scribe - you would again get higher culture and research in Ancient.

I guess it wasn't actually issue until replaced buildings got completely disabled.

Each of these get replaced by later versions.
OUTCOME_ANIMAL_RECORD_TALE_ORAL - available at start
OUTCOME_ANIMAL_RECORD_TALE_ORAL_STORY - BUILDING_STORYTELLERS_HUT - TECH_ORAL_TRADITION - X3
OUTCOME_ANIMAL_RECORD_TALE_ORAL_CAVE - BUILDING_CAVE_PAINTING - TECH_PETROGLYPHS - X8
OUTCOME_ANIMAL_RECORD_TALE_LASCAUX - BUILDING_LASCAUX_EFFECT - TECH_PETROGLYPHS - X8 - Only one civ can get it, as its from wonder.
OUTCOME_ANIMAL_RECORD_TALE_ORAL_FRESCO - BUILDING_FRESCO - TECH_IDEOGRAMS - X20
OUTCOME_ANIMAL_RECORD_TALE_SCRIBE - BUILDING_SCHOOL_OF_SCRIBES - TECH_WRITING - X28
OUTCOME_ANIMAL_RECORD_TALE_LIBRARY - BUILDING_LIBRARY - TECH_LITERATURE - X34
OUTCOME_ANIMAL_RECORD_TALE_UNIVERSITY - BUILDING_UNIVERSITY - TECH_EDUCATION - X48

So this fresco replacing cave painting degraded outcome to storyteller hut until you got scribes

Last edited:
Hi - I'm not sure if this is the place to report this, but I've noticed something strange in my current game (SVN 11375). It's on Long speed and Nightmare difficulty with 9 AIs (7 on my continent, two on smaller islands), and it's turn 346. I just got into the Ancient Era, while Mali is the tech leader (currently researching Metal Casting) and they researched Sedentary Lifestyle in turn 273. What I've noticed is that all but one of the AIs on my continent have stopped at 3 cities (the exception is at 5), and it's been a long time since I saw a message about an AI city construction. I have 4 cities and am about to found a 5th, and it seems early to already have more cities than my neighbours considering they started with 2 cities and I've fought no wars (not even to steal a barb city). Conversely, the two AIs not on my continent are much larger, having 6 and 8 cities respectively. It's not a space issue - in the game settings I selected the option for continents to be sized according to the number of players starting in them, and WB confirms there is more than enough space for each of the AIs on my continent to keep expanding.It feels like once the AIs I knew hit 3 cities, they stopped settling - the one AI on my continent with more is the one AI at the very far end that I just contacted recently, and they built past 3 before I met them. Is it just that I've had an odd game so far, and the AI will eventually start settling again?

@everyone
I overhauled myth/story/stories mechanic
One of changes that instead of >1000 myth/story/stories related buildings now there are 237 Folklore buildings.
It probably shaves few seconds per minute of turn as instead of ~6000 building defines now we have ~5200 building defines.

Story tellers and their upgrades were completely spammed with story/stories causing them to be laggy while placing them.
Now all those buildings are removed from those units.

Most of myths, stories, and storys, that were buildable in city now aren't buildable, and only given by subdued animals.
Only exploration folklore at Oral Tradition can be built in city - this clears up permanently unbuildable buildings in city build screen

Myth Effects and Stories Effects were removed - now all Folklore buildings give themselves for free.
You can't conquer them - you have to get them yourself by hunting subdued animals or building Exploration folklores.

Taxonomy folklore is unlocked at Taxonomy tech.
Exploration Folklore now gives Education at Writing and Literature, Taxonomy Folklore now gives Education at Education and Biology - that is Story/Stories stuff is now part of Folklore.
Since education is given with tech instead of being collected as separate buildings most of folklore doesn't give education at all - only Exploration and Taxonomy does.
All those increments are +1 Education, so all 16 Exploration Folklore can give 32 education, and all 30 Taxonomy can give +60 Education

All folklore gives +0.2 research and +0.1 culture on beginning
Technically 1 research, but there is -0.8 research and +0.1 culture from Language tech as we have decimal commerce from techs, but no direct decimal commerces.
There was problem at Writing where all myths switched from research to culture. Now it was fixed by new fancy Tech Commerce Percents - you can see them in Folklore building defines, as they all are placed in one file.
Similar problem was with Education when all storys and stories obsoleted at Education.
Folklore doesn't obsolete so there isn't education crash.

Exploration and regular folklore loses 0.05 research and gains 0.1 culture on Sedentary, Classical, Medieval, Renaissance era - this means jumps now are way smaller.
Taxonomy folklore is Ancient, as it requires Taxonomy tech. So their shifts are at Classical - Industrial lifestyle techs.

All your existing myths, stories and storys are gone, so you have to collect them again - just plop them in any city, since it spreads itself to all your cities.
So you might see minor blip in education, culture and research.

So main point is: Vastly reduced micromanagement, stabilized balance from Folklore compared to old myth/story/stories, and minor performance saving, as >800 pseudobuildings are gone.

I also unified tamed and subdued animal help tooltip - subdued animals mention about folklore, ability to fight or spread story missions, and some extra buildings, that they may build.
Tamed animals now mention their missions, and that they can build some buildings.
They don't mention specifics about buildings, as stuff is listed in pedia entry of subdued/tamed animal

Exploration folklore had landscape requirements.
I delegated them to "Presence of" autobuilds.
So if it had landscape requirements, now it will require "presence of" requirement anywhere in empire, so exploration folklore can spread itself to all cities.
They are set to not scale, that is always require one such building.

Last edited:
I love the new Folklore method, but I can not build more than one city in the Prehistoric Era or I fly through the research. I use upscaled research and marathon speed.

I love the new Folklore method, but I can not build more than one city in the Prehistoric Era or I fly through the research. I use upscaled research and marathon speed.
Its autobuild requirement requires palace or Story Teller or School of Scribes or Library.
Can I see your save? I guess its easier to get tons of folklores on slower speeds, and on maps that are mostly land.

It was taking 8 turns to research one tech and now it only takes 4 turns with additional city. The research doubled with just one city added. I got curios and added a several cities using world builder one time and it just overflowed like crazy, I could research 3 or 4 techs in one turn.

Attachments

• [Exit]'#458-Shepard-Prehisto-Marat-Tiny-Emper.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
129 folklore WOW you got tons of those!
I got like 30 - 40 by end of Prehistoric era (was playing on Continents landmass C2C World map).
Are you playing with latitude limits completely disabled?
AI on other hand got only 10 - 20 folklores in your save.

So yeah this effect is too strong if you hunt and expand very aggressively.

Last edited:
129 folklore WOW you got tons of those!
I got like 30 - 40 by end of Prehistoric era (was playing on Continents landmass C2C World map).
Are you playing with latitude limits completely disabled?
AI on other hand got only 10 - 20 folklores in your save.

So yeah this effect is too strong if you hunt and expand very aggressively.
Latitudes are completely disabled.

So this may explain as to how you got that many folklore.
Also small Pangea map on slow speed means you have more time to get animals.
So I have to play a different way to accommodate the new features. What way should I play now?

No need to, I need to lower starting commerces from folklore by adding tech percentage
Will wait to start a new game until it is worked out then.

Will wait to start a new game until it is worked out then.
Now you can update - now folklore gives 5x less research in Prehistoric
Also it gives +0.1 culture each.

That is 0.2 research and 0.1 culture in beginning
0.15 research and 0.2 culture in Ancient (Classical for Taxonomy)
Few more -0.05/0.1 adjustments.
Then 0 research and 0.5 culture in Renaissance (Industrial for Taxonomy folklore)

Top Bottom