Caveman 2 Cosmos

Thanks for the tile info. Guess I'll have to read/discover pollution at some future point. I knew the handcuffs were crime from some Lets Plays I saw. Is there a c2c mannual or is it all in pedia? I was looking for that info under terrain headings and didn't see anything.

Jeystone:

There is a better solution and additional steps that you can take for setting up the short cut. Found this near the bottom of post #8 on page 1 of this thread:

It seems my resolution and other general civ4 settings are being reset whenever I load the mod or play a game using it.

A. http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpo...postcount=4682

Some additional comments:
1. The shortcut in the folder is set up for a Win7 machine. I had to change the start in & target location to get it to work with XP.
2. Notice the folder name is now Caveman2Cosmos v25. The mod option on the shortcut will need to have that name (or I guess you could rename the folder).

Look in this thread, Page 235 Post# 4682. I used this and it works fine. Just have to remove the "v25" on the end of the folder name.

1. The shortcut in the folder is set up for a Win7 machine. I had to change the start in & target location to get it to work with XP.
2. Notice the folder name is now Caveman2Cosmos v25. The mod option on the shortcut will need to have that name (or I guess you could rename the folder).

1. The shortcut is for Vista/Windows 7 if you installed the game to the stupid defaults that MS setup for all programs. Many of us don't install to the same drive, let alone the program files folder. I don't ever bother with shortcuts for this very reason (or to be more accurate, I set up my own from scratch). The (my[WinXP])documents settings for data can't be changed, but that doesn't really 'hurt" as much as installing to Program Files for the actual game.
2. The folder name has to be the same name as the ini file. You can name either one to any name you want.

I've seen all this talk about view ports, but can't find any specifics. Where would I go to check them and/or modify them?

I second the download issues. Occasionally the host will spike to 90K or so, but most of the time it's been at 20-30K. 12 hours to download.

I looked at the SVN thread, and to be honest I couldn't figure out how to set it up at all. Is there and SVN for Dummies book for sale?

I think I like downloading and installing better anyway. I usually only play one game between releases, a 14,500 turn giant planet generator map. That takes a bit of time. ;)

Regardless, I think it will eventually download unless the host cuts me off within the next 12 hours.

Great game, great job you guys! Don't go to Civ 5.

I second the download issues. Occasionally the host will spike to 90K or so, but most of the time it's been at 20-30K. 12 hours to download.

I looked at the SVN thread, and to be honest I couldn't figure out how to set it up at all. Is there and SVN for Dummies book for sale?

All you really need is the stuff under 'A: Getting started:' - if you know how to install programs in Windows (I would imagine so, since you're playing Civ :p), you can get the SVN up and running as well.

All you really need is the stuff under 'A: Getting started:' - if you know how to install programs in Windows (I would imagine so, since you're playing Civ :p), you can get the SVN up and running as well.

Just tried getting the SVN version myself. Should the SVN mod folder be 4.5 GB? Because the v25 mod folder is 2.3 GB.

Yes as far as I know it does have quite a lot of additional files (it's a work in progress, after all) - that might be an issue for someone with limited hard drive space, but I honestly gave it no second thought.

Yes as far as I know it does have quite a lot of additional files (it's a work in progress, after all) - that might be an issue for someone with limited hard drive space, but I honestly gave it no second thought.

Thanks. In my case, I was just curious and the extra 2 GB won't be a problem.

Now, if I wanted to continue a v25 game in the SVN version, I would need to delete the contents of the v25 folder, and replace them with the SVN files, correct?

Because currently civ sees v25 and SVN as different mods, therefore trying to load the savegame unloads the SVN version and loads the v25 one.

I switched to SVN when v24 came out, and I don't recall having that kind of problems (I kept both the SVN and v24 folders for a while before deleting v24 altogether). But yeah that's one way to solve it, and really from a player's standpoint the SVN version is just the latest release + more bugfixes so there's not much point in keeping the v25 anyway. You could just momentarily move the folder somewhere else too I suppose.

Not that it probably matters, but do you first launch BtS then load the mod, or load the mod directly with a shortcut?

Thanks. In my case, I was just curious and the extra 2 GB won't be a problem.

Now, if I wanted to continue a v25 game in the SVN version, I would need to delete the contents of the v25 folder, and replace them with the SVN files, correct?

Because currently civ sees v25 and SVN as different mods, therefore trying to load the savegame unloads the SVN version and loads the v25 one.

Oh, you need to rename the folder to whatever your V24 folder was named, that will fix that.

With regards to disk usage, it ends up being closer to 10 GB after a while, as the SVN uses a lot of background files to keep everything going. It doesn't affect me though since I got my 1 TB hard drive.:)

I strongly suggest keeping two versions of the mod anyway, one as your "working" version in the mods folder, and the other your SVN in a "temp" folder that gets updated when you run Tortoise. It isn't a good idea to use the SVN that you regularly update as your working mod. I extract the SVN into a third temp folder when I'm ready to play it, then delete the old working version (after zipping both, just in case something is buggy in the new working version) and replacing it with the new one.

Yes, this uses more HDD space, but to tell the truth if you can't spare 10GB in this day and age something is wrong.

I strongly suggest keeping two versions of the mod anyway, one as your "working" version in the mods folder, and the other your SVN in a "temp" folder that gets updated when you run Tortoise. It isn't a good idea to use the SVN that you regularly update as your working mod. I extract the SVN into a third temp folder when I'm ready to play it, then delete the old working version (after zipping both, just in case something is buggy in the new working version) and replacing it with the new one.

Yes, this uses more HDD space, but to tell the truth if you can't spare 10GB in this day and age something is wrong.

I currently have 3 folders set up. One is outside the mods folder, and is updated by tortoise. After "checking out", I copy the contents of that folder into a "C2C SVN" folder inside my mods folder. The third folder is a copy of the v25 folder, which I'm thinking I'm gonna get rid of.

I currently have 3 folders set up. One is outside the mods folder, and is updated by tortoise. After "checking out", I copy the contents of that folder into a "C2C SVN" folder inside my mods folder. The third folder is a copy of the v25 folder, which I'm thinking I'm gonna get rid of.

That's te way I do it, but the SVN is beta so I keep the third folder and update it wit the playable version before I do an update. that way if something breaks I can still get a game while the problem is sorted out. Yes, I have broken the SVN a couple of times.

That's te way I do it, but the SVN is beta so I keep the third folder and update it wit the playable version before I do an update. that way if something breaks I can still get a game while the problem is sorted out. Yes, I have broken the SVN a couple of times.

Alright, so got the SVN working :)

Now my next question would be how to backup my BUG and advisor settings between version changes. Can I just backup my UserSettings folder from the old version and substitute the new one with it? Or would that cause problems?

Top Bottom