Caveman2Cosmos Let's Play - AstralPhaser/12padams

They mess me up often (forgetting them usually... lol

I have had the same issue all semester in my visual basic classes, especially when writing up an array. I'll forget the parentheses and wonder for a while why my array isn't working and you don't get an error message from that sort of thing... it just doesn't load the array. Eventually I find this is my most common mistake and about the only one I've made after I got the basics of VB down in my head.:lol:

@12padams: I'm gonna have to sit down and watch the series once finals are over... looking forward to it!

Correct me if I'm wrong AP, but I've never seen you check the Foreign Advisor screen(s). Personally I check the resource and tech trade screens every turn (no need to check resources if you've none surplus, but I'm sure you do). And although I don't like espionage much, I check that every turn too.

I also check every city screen every turn. Sometimes by changing one worked tile, you can get growth or production earlier, without any downside.

@12padams

You were asking about the Moat and Zone of Control. I belive you have to have fixed borders on for it to work. Normally it works on forts where the 9 squares around the fort block units. Its hard to describe unless you have seen it in action. The moat I think makes the city work like a fort with its Zone of Control. I also think that the Great Commanders can get a Zone of Control promotion too.

If someone could explain ZoC better than be that would be great.

Hey Astral it's your Turn! C'mon man hop to it!:)

JosEPh

bump -- love this!! I hope you can keep this up, or start a new one that handles movement smarter, maybe even with teams and
Let's play videos for everyone and the whole game intended to be completed.
Would make a great exploration for new players, and promotion for C2C!
I would love to see it to the end, maybe it should be in marathon, but I would like to see at least 16 players get to that end (at least modern era)!
You could even maintain a truce and build until then! Massive potential confrontation.
Love to see C2C maxxed out in so many different ways.
:)

@12padams

You were asking about the Moat and Zone of Control. I belive you have to have fixed borders on for it to work. Normally it works on forts where the 9 squares around the fort block units. Its hard to describe unless you have seen it in action. The moat I think makes the city work like a fort with its Zone of Control. I also think that the Great Commanders can get a Zone of Control promotion too.

If someone could explain ZoC better than be that would be great.

Nothing to do with fixed borders (it works independently of them).

It is VERY, VERY powerful. A unit or city or fort with a ZoC exerts an influence over all surrounding plots. The effect is that you cannot move from one plot that is under enemy ZoC influence to another that is also under ZoC influence. So in the simple case of a city you cannot move from one adjacent plot to another - you can only attack directly or back off and move around further out. A line of forts spaced 3 tiles apart is TOTALLY impossible to pass without directly attacking, and taking at least one of the forts.

Nothing to do with fixed borders (it works independently of them).

It is VERY, VERY powerful. A unit or city or fort with a ZoC exerts an influence over all surrounding plots. The effect is that you cannot move from one plot that is under enemy ZoC influence to another that is also under ZoC influence. So in the simple case of a city you cannot move from one adjacent plot to another - you can only attack directly or back off and move around further out. A line of forts spaced 3 tiles apart is TOTALLY impossible to pass without directly attacking, and taking at least one of the forts.

But garrisoning all of those forts takes lots of units, otherwise you could easily take one with your SoD and go on.

But garrisoning all of those forts takes lots of units, otherwise you could easily take one with your SoD and go on.

One unit per fort, used in choke areas - can be extremely powerful.

One unit per fort, used in choke areas - can be extremely powerful.

I agree, against scouting efforts it could hurt, but against any sort of attack that one unit would fall quite quickly. And if you want to scout I don't think that Hidden Nationality units or Spys are affected by forts' ZoC.

There is nothing stopping you from moving up more units via the convenient road leading from your cities to the fort. Your reinforcements are probably moving up faster than their stack is approaching.

You can also concentrate your forces. If the choke point is not just 1 plot wide you can block the passage but stack the units instead of spreading them out. Instead of blocking the 3 wide path with 3 stacks of 1 unit, you can block it with 1 stack of 3 units, in a fort, probably on a hill and/or in a forest or jungle. Same number of units, much harder to get past.

bump -- love this!! I hope you can keep this up, or start a new one that handles movement smarter, maybe even with teams and
Let's play videos for everyone and the whole game intended to be completed.
Would make a great exploration for new players, and promotion for C2C!
I would love to see it to the end, maybe it should be in marathon, but I would like to see at least 16 players get to that end (at least modern era)!
You could even maintain a truce and build until then! Massive potential confrontation.
Love to see C2C maxxed out in so many different ways.
:)

Hey there ;)

This series is not finished but It will be "one day". Sadly however one day is going to be a long time in the future because I no longer focus on my AstralPhaser youtube channel. Basically 2 other channels I began working on got a lot more interest by the youtube community so I now focus on making videos for them.

Here's a rundown of my youtube channels:

AstralPhaser: A lets play channel of myself playing a variety of games with commentary
Subscribers: 48

OSFirstTimer: A youtube channel in which I record my mum trying out a bunch of computer operating systems through history ranging from 1984 - present. Each video is a different operating system and we see how easily my mum can perform the tasks I give her.
Subscribers: 3478 (most popular)

TerrifiedMum: A lets play channel of my mum playing video games (I kinda commentate too) with a facecam to show her getting ultra scared.
Subscribers: 608

I've also got another channel but I've buried that in the past... I won't tell you what that is ;)

About multiplayer though with multiple people doing a lets play... That's already being done and I am one of the players doing a lets play of that game. I will still continue this one when I get time though. I guess I am kinda waiting for the game to get further into development before I continue this lets play. The lack of multimaps is what's kinda putting me off right now. If multimaps came out though I would be highly encouraged to continue this lets play (I've still got the save file) and promise to do at least 1 episode per week until its completed (I research the entire tech tree or wipe out all opponents).

Top Bottom