1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

CCM (epic mod) preview thread

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Civinator, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Optional

Optional Deity

Oh, thank you for that! You know, it's a real pet peeve of mine, that mix up that Firaxis did with the leaderhead of the Netherlands.

By the way, when I saw your civilopedia entry in the previous post, I thought for a moment you had rewritten that to make Jan de Witt stand out more, but no, that's the original text - I just had never read it, so I didn't even know Jan de Witt already featured in that so prominently. It's probably further indication that Firaxis originally intended to go with Jan de Witt, and then made a strange u-turn at the last moment.

2. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

I have to say thank you for that hint. The only changement I did in the original civilopedia entry for the Netherlands was to write Jan de Witt with fat letters. And of course at the start of the civilopedia entry the leaders for all 4 eras for that civ are listed (as it was done for every civ in CCM).

3. Ogedei_the_Mad

Ogedei_the_Mad Caffeinated Khagan

A lot of the Civ3 leaderheads don't really look anything like the historical portrayals of figures. A number of them don't look anything like anything for that matter.

For example:
    -Wang Kon looks like Uncle Fester...even though there ARE paintings of Wang Kon; Firaxis doesn't even bother doing a bloody Google search :rolleyes: . Unforgiveable.
    -Genghis Khan looks like Prune Face...again, there ARE paintings of Genghis Khan. Firaxis artist needs a good smack on the head.
    -Still trying to figure out what Tokugawa looks like. :crazyeye:
    -Doesn't Alexander look too old?
    -Cleopatra might as well be coming from Alabama with a banjo on her knee.

I can't say that the Civ4 leaderheads look any better. It's not a question of "who is that." More a question of WHAT is that??? ;)

4. Civinator

I don´t rename Wang Kon to Uncle Fester. :lol:

If there should be more realism in the LHs, may be static LHs based on photos or flags would be the better solution -but on the other side I like the animated leaderheads, especially the great LHs done by Rob, embryodead, jorde, ccm01, civarmy and others.

5. Optional

Optional Deity

Of course you're right, Ogedei. It's Hollywood laws at work here; Lincoln will always look like Lincoln, but the rest of the world leaders, pff.. perhaps only 4 or 5 look like their historical portrayals, more or less, if we're friendly.

The leaderhead library is big, it's always good if a mod attempts to aim the floodlight at some of those creations.
    As a player, purely speaking personally, and not trying to influence any mod-creator, I would be happy enough with just a single era still image. The most important addition to a still image would for me be seeing the right expression on a leader's face when I open up the foreign advisor screen; is a leader happy or unhappy with me? Even if it's not so important for gameplay, that makes a leader come more to life for me than simply movement. Regretfully, most custom leaderheads that are supplied with an animation are simply supplied with movement.

6. Ogedei_the_Mad

Ogedei_the_Mad Caffeinated Khagan

A lot of the leaderheads done here are far superior. Shiro's, Rob's, and jorde's leaderheads in particular are extremely well done; Firaxis is better off turning to them for leaderhead making. ;) I'm referring only to the Firaxis ones. I really must chuck tomatoes at the Firaxis artist here. :p

7. Civinator

And we can throw some tomatoes at the Firaxis programmers, too. :)

8. Steph

Steph Multi Many Tasks man Retired Moderator

Rotten tomatoes... Or perhaps some stones. Heavy sharp stones.

9. Civinator

Here is a first short summary of the new game-concepts in CCM to the public, that will be explained at the CCM-Information-Sector at SOC, when the public betatest will be started. The following new game concepts will also be explained in the CCM civilopedia with a lot of new links and entries:

1. ICS-tactics (Infinite City Sprawl) stopped
    2. Better implementation of religions
    3. Great Cultural Persons
    4. Advanced Autoproduction
    5. Massive reduction of waste and corruption
    6. Massive reduction of pollution
    7. Multiple Leaders
    8. Short Bloody Anarchy
    9. New settings for governments
    10. CCM Movement Rules
    11. Better AI-Routine for Land Artillery
    12. New Trading Possibilties for Random Maps
    13. Better Workers
    14. Better use of diplomats and spies
    15. Enhanced Techtrees

10. kairob

kairob Biohazard

looks awesome, any chance of an ETA?

11. Moosezilla

Moosezilla Grognard Warlord

Hope you get the leaders right. Soon. Looks Awesome!

12. Civinator

This is the current state of CCM:

The CCM-Betatest files are uploaded to the SOC-server since the first days of this year (570 MB rared).

Rhodie translated and updated my clumsy English in the SOC-forum "CCM-The Information Sector" to an understandable English and also added a lot of informations to these for you only readable posts (when we make this forum visible for the public).

In the final tests before opening the public betatest we found some lock-ups in the middle of the game, that we haven´t experienced in our prebetatestings. Unfortunately until now, we were not able to locate the seat of these lock-ups. As most of the new files, that were added to the prebetatest-files, are files of the new multiple leader concept, and there had to be tons of changes in a lot of text files connected with that new concept, I suppose, that these lock-ups in the game have to do with that new concept. If we don´t locate the reason for these lock-ups in the game soon, I will remove the multiple leaders and start the CCM betatest without the multiple leader concept.

13. Takeo

Takeo Shogun

This mod looks really awesome!

How well have the 'new' artillery rules been working out? And could you possibly post a shot of the ancient age tech screen? The other 3 ages look very well designed!!

14. Civinator

This is the CCM techtree for era 1 (Ancient Empires):

The new artillery concept works much better than the old one from Firaxis. AI Artillery is now attacking, too. Here is an actual screenshot of Marinecorps empire defending against the AI Mongol storm in 1480 AD. The AI is also attacking with bombards (early guns).

Attached Files:

15. Tank_Guy#3

Tank_Guy#3 Lion of Lehistan

Launched from slings?

Does that mean it's available publicly somewhere on SOC ? If so, I must not be very good at tracking them down.

16. Civinator

No, at present they are not available to the public cause of the lock-up bug that sometimes appeared in the last testgames (so not in all testgames) and other fixes I have to do (in fact the prebetatesters` list of things I should rename is more than 2 pages long) and there are still missing big parts of the civilopedia that I thought I could do in the last days, but what was not possible in that time.

In this thread you will get a big sign in form of the CCM-Title screen and an adaequate message, when the public betatest starts.

17. Takeo

Takeo Shogun

Thank You! I really like how you have the tech trees laid out.

Is there a possibility that the 570mb download will be cut into smaller parts?

18. Tank_Guy#3

Tank_Guy#3 Lion of Lehistan

Okay, I see.

19. Moosezilla

Moosezilla Grognard Warlord

Any progress on the "Leaders" problem? What are you trying?...waiting w/ hope!

20. Civinator

El Justo fixed that bug this week. Thank you very, very much El Justo.:) It was no new bug and it had nothing to do with the multiple leaders. In fact it was such an old bug, that we all had forgotten it:

The advanced autoproduction concept produces a lot of immobile units, that normally upgrade to the civ-flavored units. But from time to time the AI tried to load one of these immobile units in ships - and than the game locked up.
    As he told us about it, we all wondered why we didn´t get this ourselves. The fix of this bug was easy, when the bug was identified. The load-option had simply to be removed from those immobile units. I edited my post about the concept of "Advanced Autoproduction" in this thread and added this hint, so no other modder runs in that trap with that otherwise great working new concept.

The number of -until now- 759 replies in the inofficial Prebetatest-forum shows, that we are busy with that mod. At present I´m writing on the diplomatic texts, where a lot still must be fixed with the multiple leaders. There also must be done a lot of civilopedia entries, and we will see how far I come this weekend. And there is also another reason that causes a delay: I´m running a CCM-testgame and often I can´t stop the game to do this work as I want to play one more turn in that game. :lol: