Celtic Mod Beta Release

well, if I would move it it would be a little further north to spawn at Nantes or Rennes, but for now I'm not so worried about that.

This not settling the Isles thing really bugs me...what are the settler's maps for if not to tell the settlers where to settle?

This not settling the Isles thing really bugs me...what are the settler's maps for if not to tell the settlers where to settle?
Yeah, I'm having similar problems myself but I'm not really seeing any good solutions.

Rhye has managed to get the whole colonization thing to work fairly well, though. I'm not sure how he's managed that. I do know he spawns ships and Settlers for the would-be colonial powers. How he gets them to move where he wants is beyond me...

In the case of your Celts, it might be that the AI believes that there are still good land to settle on the continent, so its in no hurry to start intercontinental colonization. And the timespan is simply too short for it to ever happen.

I do believe that you have to work around this problem. In my Russia scenario I'm spawning cities and units (independents and barbarians mostly) left, right and center. The point would be not to have a completely empty world, but rather to be able to forge your empire by conquest.

I believe Europe in general and Britain in particular was already populated before the Celtic period. Thus I don't really see the need for anyone to settle anything (not much anyway).

If I was to do a Rome scenario based on RFC I would populate the Mediterranean so that the player can actually recreate Rome rather than play a game of colonization. I guess that would be my design philosophy, then.

I looked into it and I believe that its be very feasible to give the Celts another spawn in mid game. If this happens before the French spawn it would save them from the inevitable collapse of losing so many cities (if not sooner, then later on). It would simply move the focus onto the Isles, as the capital would automatically be moved there once its lost on the continent.

I'm not sure if it would make for a good game though, but I guess it beats giving the human player four brand new cities for free. A spawn would at least feel like something that one would expect to happen in a game of RFC.

Note than it would really be like a respawn and not a regular spawn. It would simply convert all or most cities inside the Normal Area to Celtic ownership. Any units in this area would meet the same faith. So one could pretty much have historically accurate spawns of independent, barbarian and norse settlements on the isles. Once the second spawn happens those will revert to the Celtic player, preferably about the same time the continental cities are under pressure from new Civs spawning all over the place.

On the other hand, if the Celtic player already has pulled off the UHV requirement of settling (or conquering) three cities, the second spawn wouldn't even be necessary. The point of the whole thing would however be that both the human player and the AI would be treated in the same way. There would be less of a feeling that you're cheating.

alright, so it appears that they will not attack independent cities in the Isles either, but they will attack barbarian ones. So I think I'm going to spawn four barbarian cities (the ones I mentioned) with three units each defending, and five Celtic Gallic Warriors each in Ireland and outside Wales. I think I'm going to go that route and recreate the Milesian invasion of Ireland (and the Celtic settlement of Britain). The Celts will have enough units to take one city, but will have to build an army and take at least one of the other two in order to make the UHV. I think that will be acceptable, no?

Again, I think that the human player would mostly feel dumb if the scenario is handing him free units to do a scripted invasion. For the AI on the other hand, sure...

But, you won't be able to spawn those units of yours if there already are cities in Britain. Because of the culture will prevent those units from spawning. I'm not really seeing how it would work within the bounds of what you can achieve working with the Barbs.py file. (Almost anything is possible if you can do your own code altogether, though.)

A more reliable way would be to convert those cities by doing a second spawn, but that would be even more complicated to code. I'm willing to give it a go, nonetheless...

Also, the reason the AI isn't attacking Independents is that they aren't at war. All players are always at war with the Barbarians though. But, its possible to make Civs declare war on each other with Python. (This is in fact what happens when Civs spawn and they end up being at war with some of their neighbors from the get go.)

Others might wanna weigh in with their opinions here also, even if you first and foremost are working on this to suit your own play. Also, be mindful about never letting your mod become finished (there's always more to add, if you don't set goals that you'll eventually be able to reach). All the play testing involved with modding will make the finished mod feel like you've already done it to death. This is mostly how I feel about my own work, but then again I'm modding for moddings own sake. :king: If I end up actually playing the finished work someday, all the better. If someone else does, that's also good. :goodjob:

Another suggestion from me would be for you to stop fiddling with the modmod now that you've gotten all the other stuff working, including the Carthaginians. If you add more now it will just push the release date further into the future, and you will end up with yet another set of bugs and other issues with the modmod.

If you have a set of files that do what you initially set out to do, stop any further modding and make it a first release. That way everyone involved will get your latest files so that we all know which ones to use. I think you could start a new thread for version 1.0 and perhaps even upload it on this site. (I would ask some of the administrators for help if you haven't done that before.)

Then we can start doing additional stuff at our opposite ends (and others might as well). These changes could then be posted in yet another development thread as "works in progress". (The release thread would be for feedback and bug reports.) When all the additions are working, and the initially released files are properly tested by the community, could you add new code to the modmod for the next release (v1.1 or v2.0 depending on how much new stuff you end up adding).

As I said, just a suggestion. I believe there are people eagerly awaiting something that they will be able to play without any crashes or other issues (like half-baked ideas that haven't been properly tested yet). But you must of course work on your own schedule.

Oh, I'm very close to my finished vision. I know the Romans wind up with two or three cities (four if the Greeks settle southern Italy) that automatically flip to them in short order...that combined with their three original settlers make for a pretty swift expansion. The human player is in for a pretty rough time once the middle ages come around. Besides, if they're going for the UHVs they won't get the units (but I have them spawn outside the barbarian cultural area)

A second spawn seems like it would be far more difficult than would be necessary to accomplish basically the same thing.

As for a release, I would very much like to get this british spawn thing happening (almost there, just need a tweak or two) and then I will do just that. Other civs get boatloads for colonies, this seems less intrusive than that.

The things I'm concerned about are:

1. Whether nor not you know how to code it so that only the AI gets the spawns or whatever you're doing. Otherwise you really need to take into consideration how those features will be in play. (Because, only AI Civs get free colonists, you know.)

2. Any last minute "tweaks" will be the least tested features of your modmod, and once issues arise you can be certain about people reporting about strange things involving those exact things.

But I'll just let you do your thing now and await the first proper release before I try to help you any further. :D

I think its gearing up to be a really good modmod! :goodjob:

well, as far as I can tell, the warriors will spawn for the humans as well, unless they have the area absorbed in their borders first, but I don't think it will be that big a deal, honestly...far less a "bonus" than easily flipping northern Italy and southern France is for the Romans.

It'll be easy enough to remove if people feel that it makes things too easy or whatnot, but let's see how it's received first.

No matter what, this mod would not have been completed without your knowledge and hard work. I can't thank you enough for that.

You're very welcome! I'd like to assert that this is your baby and I'm simply lending a hand with its unendurable delivery. :p

I know that I might be out of line sometimes telling you what to do and whatnot, but I try to only go there once I fear you're about to shoot yourself in the foot or the like.

I'm eagerly looking forward to the release then, but whatever you do, take the time to test things out properly once you feel you're completely done. And no last minute additions! :rolleyes:

Yay, Baldyr, thanks for the forceps delivery, hopefully you won't get sued for perinatal trauma. :lol:

v1.0 posted in its own thread. Have fun =)

Downloading as I write this...

When you can spare the time and attention, you could start yet another thread where you discuss future additions and the such. If you have Python related requests I'd be glad to view and discuss those. Once I (or someone else) has the time available I could give those a try.

I think we can finally leave this thread behind us now and not think about it any more, or what do you think? :p

I agree. Next up (once v1 is *really* squared away)...doing the same thing for the multiplayer version:twitch::twitch::twitch:

I agree. Next up (once v1 is *really* squared away)...doing the same thing for the multiplayer version:twitch::twitch::twitch:
You really are a glutton for punishment! :lol:

Top Bottom