1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

CFC password exposure

Discussion in 'Team CivFanatics' started by 2metraninja, Feb 19, 2013.

1. 2metraninja

2metraninja Defender of Nabaxica

So, it seems I messed a bit with the info about the team login to ISDG.

We were exchanging PMs with SC about him loging in to the game to take screenshots and I had sent him the login IP and password about ISDG2012. But in the same time I was helping SC to get registered at WPC so he can sub there for one player who went missing. And somehow we messed replies forth and back mixing the two topics and at some point I started acting as relay station for messages and error codes from Donald23, who is admin at WPC and SC. And just now I saw that in one message there was quote from previous message, which contained our password and this message was sent to Donald.

Now, all calm down as Donald is gentleman of a special kind and I dont believe he would ever use the info for spying or whatever. He is host for many games and site admin and generally great guy, so I cant even imagine he would use this knowledge with ill intention. However, I do apology to the team for being careless and slipping such info to outsider. And for our peace of mind we will need to change our password. We might need to ask some other team to help us though. There is 1 reliable way this to be done. The game is paused by third party, we log in and retire. Game keeps paused. Then we immediately after this log in and claim our civ and we set the new password. Game unpaused and all continues normal.

Shall we ask WPC to help us with that? Or shall we ask a team which we are not yet met? Apolyton for example? So we dont show to the other teams that we have special relations with someone? I prefer this to be kept without much explanations to other teams. If asked, we just say we had suspicions of our password leaked and we wanted to change it.

Once again, sorry for being careless with that.

2. talonschild

talonschild Drive-By NESer

Not at all - I rather prefer asking a trusted team such as WPC, but if you'd prefer to be all cloak-and-dagger and ask Poly I would not oppose.

Best to alert r_rolo or some other admin, too.

3. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

My personal view on this is that the we set passwords to prevent an accidental log-in by misclicking and selecting a different team's civ, rather than a security measure designed to make it impossible for other teams to spy on us. As far as I am concerned, I trust everyone else we're playing with not to use our password to log into our civ. I'd rather not change our password at all, since that will just be one more thing I'll need to remember!

If the team doesn't feel comfortable with that, though, then I have no preference how the actual password change occurs.

4. 2metraninja

2metraninja Defender of Nabaxica

My feelingss exactly! But since I am the one who messed things, I prefer to keep low :mischief:

5. cav scout

cav scout The Continuum

I'm not worried about a security breach either. I think the reason to change passwords would actually be to protect Donald23 from any crazy accusations down the road. I also agree that we should check with admins first.

6. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

The only reason I can see for changing the password is the exact thing cav scout writes. Other than that I am not concerned about this at all. As Yossarian writes, the passwords are more a safety precaution that we don't accidentally log in to the wrong civ rather than any real security measure. :) If you want to change our password anyways, then you have my confidence to feel free to do it in the way you feel is the most sensible, 2metra :)

7. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I'll sit with you

Its just a game:). Change, don't change... I won't lose sleep over it. Do what you think is best.

8. 1889

1889 Mayor of H-Marker Lake

Is that really the only reliable method? Frankly that sounds scarier than letting Donald have the password. I think the password should be changed for all the good reasons posted here, but if thats the what its gonna take then no thanks.

9. 1889

1889 Mayor of H-Marker Lake

Meanwhile I just got a message in my email from google that someone in Mexico tried to access the team gmail account.

10. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I'll sit with you

That would be SilCon;)

11. SilentConfusion

SilentConfusion Emperor

It doesn't matter how many times Yossarian sets it to allow log-ins from Mexico. It seems Mexico is just too suspicious of a country. So I cannot check for diplo messages.