Challenge-V-01

Ozbenno

Fly Fly Away
Hall of Fame Staff
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we are running a series of ten games called the Hall of Fame Challenge Series. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings of one of the games will be counted towards the Challenge.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

Settings:
  • Victory Condition: Space Colony (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Prince
  • Starting Era: Ancient
  • Map Size: Standard
  • Map Type: Great Plains
  • Speed: Epic
  • Required: Raging Barbarians
  • Must Not Be Checked: No Barbarians
  • Civ: Babylon (Hammurabi)
  • Opponents: Must include Arabia (Saladin), Aztec (Montezuma), Greece (Pericles), Inca (Huayna Capac), Rome (Julius Caesar), Spain (Isabella)
  • Version: 3.19.003
  • Date: 6th June to 6th October 2011

The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

I am certainly looking forward to this game, for I adore the Great plains map.

Massive production in the middle with cows, but little commerce.
Great forested green tiles to the east.
Flood plains galore to the south.
Resource rich poor lands to the west.

The map is very resource starved, which limits how big cities can get. Ivory? Bananas? Rice? What are those :lol:

At first glance the neighbors appear to be very hostile. Two religious zealots, a madman, Greece, Rome, and that wild card HC. Toss in some raging barbs to spice things up even more. Obviously warmongering seems called for, but who will chop and cottage the green east if you go mad with cows?

Any time Raging barbs are seen, people automatically think great wall. But with bowmen and the chance of a great spy on prince, is that really the fastest way to space?

The UU bowman (+50% vs. Melee) can hold off the hordes, but it doesn't go so well with the aggressive trait. The unique building is great, as those +2 health will be sorely needed. Organized on prince? Eh, the cheap factories will be of some use.

The best chance for a raging commerce capital is ironically in the west. But the best overall empire will be in the green east. Will you let the warmongers have the center with all those cows and war resources? Decisions Decisions. Forget the food corporations, will Communism work that well with all those plains tiles? I've always wondered. :crazyeye:

The best chance for a raging commerce capital is ironically in the west. But the best overall empire will be in the green east. Will you let the warmongers have the center with all those cows and war resources? Decisions Decisions. Forget the food corporations, will Communism work that well with all those plains tiles? I've always wondered. :crazyeye:
Try to capture EN and SW parts of the map for maximize food and resource. Last time I prefered Biology, Communism and Electricity instead of Corporations. Standard map size saves us from hard domination limit problem so you can expand freely. Take 1 empty Capital duing first 10 turns then try to capture 1-3 other neighbors with Axes or Bowmens.

It's not the best leader and so on, but I think 1400AD could be reached.

I'm trying out HoF games for the first time. Not so much to compete, but to improve my play to the point where I am playing well as opposed to just playing well enough to win.

What would be a respectable victory date to aim for with these settings? (I normally play Emperor, but haven't played Civ4 much recently, so I am a bit rusty.)

I'd guess between 1700 and 1800. Most of the entries for this map/speed are in the 1800's now. I'd guess that most of them were with no barbs, so that will make it harder.

Thanks! I don't think I've ever tried Space on a Great Plains map (and rarely play with raging barbs). This should be a fun challenge.

I'm trying out HoF games for the first time.

Welcome to the CFC HoF territory! [party] I really hope you'll pursue and progress. I'm glad more people join the Civ4 HoF like WalterWolf did. More new faces are needed to face the old but powerful geezers (taken in the good sense...anyways some are speaking that way of themselves).

Try to capture EN and SW parts of the map for maximize food and resource. Last time I prefered Biology, Communism and Electricity instead of Corporations. Standard map size saves us from hard domination limit problem so you can expand freely. Take 1 empty Capital duing first 10 turns then try to capture 1-3 other neighbors with Axes or Bowmens.

Are corporations really a no-no? What if the map generator is generous, giving more than 10 corns/wheat and sufficient Mining Co. resources...probably mostly Copper or Iron (plus some coals).

Right now, in my first true attempt, I can control 17 corn/what and 7 Copper/Iron resources in the BC. I imagine I can fetch more in the first 1000 years after 1 AD.

True...that General Mills comes late...but nothing empeachs us to begin with a SP economy, then switch.

Welcome aboard Trystero, the more the merrier!

Are corporations really a no-no? What if the map generator is generous, giving more than 10 corns/wheat and sufficient Mining Co. resources...probably mostly Copper or Iron (plus some coals).

Right now, in my first true attempt, I can control 17 corn/what and 7 Copper/Iron resources in the BC. I imagine I can fetch more in the first 1000 years after 1 AD.

True...that General Mills comes late...but nothing empeachs us to begin with a SP economy, then switch.

Whether or not corporations are worth pursuing depends on whether you are able to found the corporation in question and whether or not you can control or buy enough of the Corporation's Resources to make the whole endeavor worthwhile. You should not share valuable corporations.

On a Great Plains map, there may or may not be enough Wheat, Corn or Rice for Cereal Mills nor enough Mining, Inc. Resources to make it worthwhile. However, that doesn't make State Property better. There are other, possibly better ways to maximize Food and Hammers.

You will probably want to try both Corporations and State Property. In my opinion, State Property may have the edge here on a Great Plains map, but I wouldn't assume that as a given. Wait until you see what Resources are available. Deny as many AIs as possible access to any Corporation resources whether taking all cities that contain them or wiping out that AI completely. Once you have a count of the Corporation Resources you can acquire, including purchase of excess ones from AIs that still have them, you can try to determine whether Corporation or State Property and Workshops/Waterwheels are the fastest way to a Space Colony.

Sun Tzu Wu

I'm glad more people join the Civ4 HoF like WalterWolf did. More new faces are needed to face the old but powerful geezers (taken in the good sense...anyways some are speaking that way of themselves).

Thanks for that :)

I'm glad you're glad :goodjob: .

I've been out for the last couple of days, getting myself a new PC. I should be able to run large maps now smoothly, so, beware ;) .

cheers

Thanks for that :)

[...] getting myself a new PC. [...]

cheers

[whine]
:mad: Me too I want a new PC, but I'm tight on money.
Recently, in a one year period, my graphic card died, my mouse's cursor flickered before dying and my monitor died too. My computer is only 3 years old...today's stuff are either frail or downright cheap. My old cathodic monitor is still working well after 10 years of use. :lol:
[/whine]

Well I got the ball rolling on this one with a decidedly average 1810AD win.

Things were going quite well until Monty and Isabella (twice) declared on me. I had already taken out Rome and Inca and the wars were a delay to finally gearing up to space. I gained 6 cities from the wars but probably lost many turns of building troops instead of research/infrastructure.

I was able to get +8 food from Cereal Mills and +25 hammers from Mining Inc. I controlled the east, so many gold, silver and iron deposits for me.

Things were going quite well until Monty and Isabella (twice) declared on me. I had already taken out Rome and Inca and the wars were a delay to finally gearing up to space. I gained 6 cities from the wars but probably lost many turns of building troops instead of research/infrastructure.

My case is different: Monty was kicked out of the ring by barbs as well of Lincoln and Pericles. Julius was hung at turn 5 and Joao II before 3000 BC. Around 1 AD, the world was almost at my feet. I should recognize the tribal village giving me HR was awesome...

I was able to get +8 food from Cereal Mills and +25 hammers from Mining Inc. I controlled the east, so many gold, silver and iron deposits for me.

Strange situation. I founded General Mills around 1240 AD and I got 15 :food: (10 corn and 10 wheat) and I predict the Mining Co. will give me around 20 :hammers:.
The awkward thing is the low food result. There were few corns/wheats, is that right?
I should observe if the resources distribution is really random.

Hey, Ozbenno, do you think Dynamic is serious about a 1400 AD SC victory. My game is quite strong and I feel so far from finishing the tech tree. My max beakers rate is 3000 :flask: including research production around 1200 AD and under a GA.

Top Bottom