China - Qin Shi Huang Thread

Ok, so Great Wall improvement = Fort improvement with extra gold & culture. :undecide:

Ok, so Great Wall improvement = Fort improvement with extra gold & culture.

Which is how it was described in the video. You guys are setting yourselves up for disappointment by allowing your imaginations to run away. It's not the Civ V Wonder.

Which is how it was described in the video. You guys are setting yourselves up for disappointment by allowing your imaginations to run away. It's not the Civ V Wonder.

No, it's not. But it's still a colossal speedbump that slowed down horsemen as they screamed across the plains.

I'm willing to wait and see how it balances out, just saying walls I would have thought would slow down a military advance.

No, it's not. But it's still a colossal speedbump that slowed down horsemen as they screamed across the plains.

It wasn't the wall itself. It was the guys standing on it that impeded invaders. An ungarrisoned wall will slow an army for less than a day.

I could imagine that the GW is like a river (if I am correct) as you have to end a move before it, and can pass the GW the next turn and move only to the other side of it...

...and what if only man units can pass it who can climb... no horse...

I could imagine that the GW is like a river (if I am correct) as you have to end a move before it, and can pass the GW the next turn and move only to the other side of it...

...and what if only man units can pass it who can climb... no horse...

Then they would presumably immediately open gates for the cavalry? It isn't like the wall is a cliff, it has gates.

It wasn't the wall itself. It was the guys standing on it that impeded invaders. An ungarrisoned wall will slow an army for less than a day.

True enough. So would hills or a river, though, and they cost ingame movement points (or at least they did in previous versions).

Anyhow, I'm not upset about it just surprised and (very) mildly disappointed. Like you said though that's from making assumptions.

The opportunity cost of placing the GW is indeed great - or is it?

As long as you can use mountains and sea to your advantage (see image), you can potentially use the GW to block a bad neighbour with only one city, leaving the rest of your empire protected and allowing you to concentrate your forces.

That doesn't even take into account the culture and gold bonuses for the GW, of course. I'm finding China more and more appealing.

Spoiler :

Great picture, +1 for ToG too. :lol:

The important parts. That's why there are towers along the Wall.

I guess they had the manpower to man the important parts of a 5000 mile wall....

Anyway, it's a moot point. The bonus is what the bonus is. Let's try it as designed before changing it.

Watched it again on YouTube. They say the wall gives defense, not "defense bonuses". The "defense" is a broad term and could mean movement cost for enemies too.

It seems like a highly decorative slightly better fort. The crouching tiger cannon is incredible however.

Top Bottom