Christmas City

Aion

King
This is my little christmas present for you: A Christmas cityset :xmas: It is based on Santa Claus' village, which is located close to Mount Korvatunturi in northern Finland. Yes - that's the scientifically proved truth. Don't believe American propaganda that tries to persuade you that Santa lives on the North Pole. It's an irrevocable fact that he lives in Finland. Actually the main reason I post this cityset is to spread knowledge of this.

Merry Christmas everybody ;)

Attachments

• Santa.jpg
    Santa.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 1,822
nice. i'm playing with it but the fortified unit inside the city blocks out most of the graphic.

Lol... everyone seems to have gotten into this Christmas spirit, at least in this Civ3 Creation area. I'd say there's almost everything one would need to make a Christmas mod now (I believe there's even a set of modified forest files for this purpose)

Anyway... Merry Christmas! Feliz Navidad! Frohe Weihnachten!

Actually 'Santa Claus' is nothing but a cheap copy of Saint Basil, who lives in Caesaria (Turkey; former byz empire) :smug:

Im not sure when the st basil thing was santanised here, but i trust this happened in the late 19th century. st basil is one of the important figures in early christianity, and typically a lunatic.

ahemm: saint nicolaus paid for the dowries of two poor girls (hence the ascociation with gifts). in portugese or spanish, its called Santa Nicolaus, and the americans bastadised it down to "santa Claus"

thats how i learned the "history of santa", anyways, but whether true or not, i dont know.

Oh well, in Croatia (and other former Yugoslav republics, I think )St.Nick has his day on 6th of December, he leaves presents over night in children`s boots and shoes, which they have to get cleaned and shiny, or else they get crappy presents, he has a side-kick for naughty children, an Imp-like creature called Krampus.
The dude with presents on Christmas is Grandpa Frost, or as they call him now, the post-communist version - Grandpa Christmas (not exact translation but 95 % acurate), and it seems he has no religious conotations, unlike St. Nicholas mentioned above.... Rural regions say its baby Jesus giving presents...Bah, capitalism and its gift fever... I just like spending one day with my family and friends and know that it is special, what presents you get doesn`t matter.. And I`m not even religious! Its more of a western culture thing...

Quinzy said:
ahemm: saint nicolaus paid for the dowries of two poor girls (hence the ascociation with gifts). in portugese or spanish, its called Santa Nicolaus, and the americans bastadised it down to "santa Claus"

thats how i learned the "history of santa", anyways, but whether true or not, i dont know.

mmmhhh... mot sure here. I heard a different story when I was in Czech Republic three years ago. Apparently, they had a king there named Vaclav who converted Bohemia (the principal province of Cesky Republika) in the 10th century. Somehow, he had some connections with the Holly Roman Empire and was killed by his pagan brother. This Vaclav was cannonized and is the patron of Czech Republic. In German language (the «official» language of Czech Republic some centuries ago), it has been translate to Saint Wencesclaus. Some Czech people told me that Santa Claus name come from the deformation of the name of this christian king. His feast was probably introduced in the US by Czech immigrants.... I let you decide by yourself what is the right version. :crazyeye:

Joyeux Noël!!

Stormrage said:
Oh well, in Croatia (and other former Yugoslav republics, I think )St.Nick has his day on 6th of December, he leaves presents over night in children`s boots and shoes, which they have to get cleaned and shiny, or else they get crappy presents, he has a side-kick for naughty children, an Imp-like creature called Krampus.
The dude with presents on Christmas is Grandpa Frost, or as they call him now, the post-communist version - Grandpa Christmas (not exact translation but 95 % acurate), and it seems he has no religious conotations, unlike St. Nicholas mentioned above.... Rural regions say its baby Jesus giving presents...Bah, capitalism and its gift fever... I just like spending one day with my family and friends and know that it is special, what presents you get doesn`t matter.. And I`m not even religious! Its more of a western culture thing...
Here's the same situation with St.Nick on 6th December (and it gives gifts to children in thir shoes and boots, etc), but Santa Claus it's called Mos Craciun (craciun means Christmas, mos means old man).

Staying on topic, these are nice cities.

Top Bottom