Chronicles of Adea - fantasy mod development thread

sounds interesting... One thing that I can think up for a civilization is a russian steam punk themed civilization. Since you already have theme for gunpowder, i think the civilization does best on steam-powered theme technology that deals with machinations and inventions. If you want to make a rivalry for the Dreamers

sounds interesting... One thing that I can think up for a civilization is a russian steam punk themed civilization. Since you already have theme for gunpowder, i think the civilization does best on steam-powered theme technology that deals with machinations and inventions. If you want to make a rivalry for the Dreamers

Why Russian? ;)

I'm not planning a strictly steampunk civ for now, because there would be a problem what units they should have at low tech, but some civs like the Dwarves and Gnomes (the latter not in the alpha) will have some machines available.

well they could have low tech "steam-punk" weapons, especially for "ranged units) :
you replace the "low-tech" by a "low efficiency"

however you'll need to imagine how they could "discover" low grade black powder, or naphta or steam...

IMO the most difficult part is not finding low-tech units, or balancing it... it is that their "low-tech" tech tree would be quite unique, and it might be difficult to integrate their units into the standard tech path.... (Indeed, their low-tech would not necessarily be more advanced than more traditional low tech ... however... the techs would be quite differents...)

I have some few low-tech units ideas like :
-bamboo-spear-gun instead of archer : mid-power "gun", quite dangerous the powder propells the spear-head some, pierce armor, however you need some time to place a new spear-head and powder, so the "spear" is destroyed each time... the spear user needs multiples weapons. (you'll need a huge tech progress in metallurgy and chemistry before it becomes half as efficient as a musket, transforming into pure-ranged weapon, then not-exploding-in-your-face-weapon, then efficiency....Etc

or: grenadier : low-grade powder, with rocks, pressed into a bamboo tube (however you need a lighter... lacking a lighter you'll need a torch (so it is a war-weapon, not someting you use casually : only for defense, or during siege : it may be a melee-like unit. (or each guy keeps an ember burning in a little pouch and a naptha-imbibed string ... to make a lighter-like device)

or baloon-powered-blowpipe: imagine a bagpipe powering a blow-pipe; you "only" need hollow bamboo or hazel-nut-branch, a bag (pigbladder)...Etc
I imagine the team of two guys, one carrying the "gun part", and the other using a big pair of bellows to blow the bladder...
improvement : burning naptha to vaporise a special elements : the bladder fills automatically, no need of a "team : only one guy can use the weapon/ then a steam-engine powers it : it can be used as a "steam-machine-gun" instead of canons...ETc

The only problem with a "steam-punk" themed civ is that the Dwarves and Gnomes already kind of fill that niche.

That's true, although I think it is possible to make the steampunk civ distinct enough from other civs (like it's done with the Mechanos civ, used in some FFH modmods). So if someone creates a modmod which adds a new civ, if it's good enough it will be added to the base mod.

^
That sounds fair to me. I mean, right now...it's just we have different priorities, like getting the mod running.

Yes, now we're just going to make the 12 civs working, extra civs will come later.

What you think of this logo Pawel? It's an amalgamation of many European symbols.

It's a great symbol for the Griffites! I was going to use the Babylon icon, but this one is much better :)

I'm thinking about the colors for this civ - perhaps there will be too many blue civs, so this one should have a different color... white on brown perhaps?

It's a great symbol for the Griffites! I was going to use the Babylon icon, but this one is much better :)

I'm thinking about the colors for this civ - perhaps there will be too many blue civs, so this one should have a different color... white on brown perhaps?

true white? grey white? off white? Brown? Light Brown?

The white can be a somewhat off, brown should be dark. (I'm planning to use a lighter shade of brown and a yellow symbol for a civ that won't be in the alpha).

The white can be a somewhat off, brown should be dark. (I'm planning to use a lighter shade of brown and a yellow symbol for a civ that won't be in the alpha).

Note that in the third image from the left the white appears to be off white; It is actually pure 255 white. Blame optical illusions.

Also, what do you think about the Griff having a crown? European style crown.

Lastly, would you mind if I tried my hand at designing the colour schemes? Colours have emotional effects on us. They're a mode of communication. Colours say things to us.

For example, a gentle blue or green calms us, or can say about a civ that they're calm or tranquil. For instance, notice how you always seem kinda shocked when China or India declares war on you? Poor colour communication by the devs.

For instance, the colours chosen for the Griffites seem to suggest things like Strength, Dependability, Optimism, and Stability.

A good choice for a warlike civ would be Red and Yellow. These colours seem to suggest things like Passion, Anger, and Toil. Gold does not count here, as it sort of loses its anger and toil component. It's still there, just not as strong. Turns into Aggressiveness and Hard Work. This was of benefit to me with Sparta, as I had a double representation in its icon. One represents the spartan people: Passionate, Warlike, Aggressive, and Intensely Physically Trained. The other representation is of their crimson cloaks and crests and such against their bronze armour.

Give me three to five words describing an average member of each race. For example... Humans: Ingenious, Warlike, Avaricious, Passionate, Social.

I would use a blue for Ingenuity, Red for Warlikeness and Passion, Indigo for Sociality, and Yellow for Avarice. Warlikeness, Passion, and Ingenuity are probably the most defining traits of Humankind, so I'd go with a middle-bright red and a deep blue. Alternatively, Warlikeness, Passion, and Sociality are the most defining traits, so Red on Indigo would fit too.

Thanks for your effort :) I prefer the darker brown background (second row). The white in the middle picture looks best for me.

Also, what do you think about the Griff having a crown? European style crown.

That's a good idea, it fits my concept of the Griffites as resembling a medieval European kingdom.

Lastly, would you mind if I tried my hand at designing the colour schemes? Colours have emotional effects on us. They're a mode of communication. Colours say things to us.

Of course, my concepts of colors and symbols in post #22 aren't set in stone, you can propose your own ideas.

For example, a gentle blue or green calms us, or can say about a civ that they're calm or tranquil. For instance, notice how you always seem kinda shocked when China or India declares war on you? Poor colour communication by the devs.

For instance, the colours chosen for the Griffites seem to suggest things like Strength, Dependability, Optimism, and Stability.

That's good, it kinda fits my vision of them.

A good choice for a warlike civ would be Red and Yellow. These colours seem to suggest things like Passion, Anger, and Toil. Gold does not count here, as it sort of loses its anger and toil component. It's still there, just not as strong. Turns into Aggressiveness and Hard Work. This was of benefit to me with Sparta, as I had a double representation in its icon. One represents the spartan people: Passionate, Warlike, Aggressive, and Intensely Physically Trained. The other representation is of their crimson cloaks and crests and such against their bronze armour.

Give me three to five words describing an average member of each race. For example... Humans: Ingenious, Warlike, Avaricious, Passionate, Social.

I would use a blue for Ingenuity, Red for Warlikeness and Passion, Indigo for Sociality, and Yellow for Avarice. Warlikeness, Passion, and Ingenuity are probably the most defining traits of Humankind, so I'd go with a middle-bright red and a deep blue. Alternatively, Warlikeness, Passion, and Sociality are the most defining traits, so Red on Indigo would fit too.

Will do it in the next post. I'm not a native speaker, so it's not easy for me to choose the right words, I need some time...

sum lyk dis innit m8?

Damn, that's beautiful, Irkalla!

sum lyk dis innit m8?

Can you use English? ;)

About the icon - the background color seems more reddish than on the previous picture, but perhaps it's another optical illusion :) But I think this color is good too, or perhaps you will propose a different color for this civ?

Here is the list of words describing the races (some words, like Expansive, apply to the civ as a whole rather than individual members, but I think they are important here too):

1. Dreamers: Ingenious, Expansive, Sea Loving, Ambitious
2. Griffites: Valorous, Honorable, Honest, Caring for Animals
3. Archons: Spiritual, Imperialistic, Arrogant, Lawful
4. Vodniks: Mysterious, Isolationist, Protective, Mischievous
5. Snobar: Aggressive, Physically Trained, Survivalist, Proud
6. Azracs: Spiritual, Survivalist, Mercantile, Wanderlust
7. Lemuria/Beastmen: Fierce, Mystical, Stealthy, Bond with Wild Animals
8. Elves: Calm, Wise, Nature Loving, Talented
9. Dwarves: Hard Working, Honorable, Stubborn, Protective
10. Orcs: Strong, Aggressive, Chaotic, Quarrelsome
11. Demons: Cruel, Chaotic, Passionate, Mystical
12. Undead: Ruthless, Calm, Grim, Mystical

Note that some colors I proposed earlier may be inappropriate for some civs using your criteria (like green for Lemuria and ice-blue for Snobar), in these cases I used their preferred terrain (jungle and tundra/snow, respectively) as a source of their color choices. This can be changed, if you have different ideas for these colors.

Damn, that's beautiful, Irkalla!

Then you'll like my final version on the right. Its brown is more neutral than its previous version on the left, and I've tweaked the light cast upon it. Additionally, I've slightly lowered the size of the logo to be acceptable.

It incorporates elements from Poland, German Empire, Courland, and Venice.

New update committed to GitHub - added the Perfect Flat World map script - it's displayed as *Perfect Flat World*, so it's at the top of the list.

It's based on Perfect World 3 by Cephalo. It's a flat map, so it represents only a part of Adea, not the entire planet (Snow is in the north, and Jungle in the south). I prefer it this way, because it increases the distances between climate zones, so you won't get Jungle a few hexes away from Tundra, also I generally like flat maps (another thing is that using a flat map prevents a graphical bug that makes some hexes near the "date change line" displayed incorrectly).

Note that when using advanced setup, you can set the percentage of land on the map (5%-95%). The default is 40%. I welcome feedback about the map script, it can be improved in the future.

(Most of the standard map scripts should work with this mod too, and this one will work with the base game, you can use it if you copy it to the Maps folder.)

Coming next: more promotions.

Top Bottom