Cities at least 9 hexes away

Cities at least 9 hexes away 1.0

vonJahgmann

Chieftain
vonJahgmann submitted a new resource:

Cities at least 9 hexes away - New cities at least 9 hexes apart (8 between)

Simple GamePlay mod that DRASTICALLY REDUCES city spam. New cities now need to be 9 hexes apart instead of the default of 4.

NOTE 1: This mod can renders some maps unplayable (due to the ridiculously large city spacing).

NOTE 2: This is a recreation of the previous resource/mod noted by the below link. As I was unable to change the original post's type (from 'no files' to 'with files') and then upload files (hence this recreation)....

Read more about this resource...

Would it maybe be a good idea to make one thread and simply give a simple instruction to people downloading the mod which modifier should be changed, and, when creating a new version, to simply use the same thread? It's kinda cluttering the whole forum now.

Would it maybe be a good idea to make one thread and simply give a simple instruction to people downloading the mod which modifier should be changed

For some, that's all they want for sure. For others, they want to download and play without making any hackish changes ever.

when creating a new version, to simply use the same thread?

The old threads would not let me attach files due to how I initially set them up. Very frustrating!

https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...-from-no-files-to-files.612132/#post-14691664

I received a number of requests for download links and a link to the Steam workshop clearly wasn't cutting it for some.

It's kinda cluttering the whole forum now.

Duplicates stink, for sure. That's why I referenced the "change type" thread. After the (old thread) duplicates are deleted, a lot of that clutter will thankfully disappear.

As to the number of them (4,5,6,7,8 and 9) I personally only thought there would be demand/interest in the 5 (which I use). I was happily surprised to be way, way wrong. People play in a lot of different ways, have their own preferences and thus want the mod setting to match.

FWIW, here is the current distribution stats per Steam Workshop:

============================================= Civ6 ============================================
Steam Workshop :: Cities at least 4 hexes away : Viewed: 262, Subs: 83, Faves: 4
Steam Workshop :: Cities at least 5 hexes away : Viewed: 671, Subs: 351, Faves: 12
Steam Workshop :: Cities at least 6 hexes away : Viewed: 239, Subs: 125, Faves: 5
Steam Workshop :: Cities at least 7 hexes away : Viewed: 167, Subs: 86, Faves: 5
Steam Workshop :: Cities at least 8 hexes away : Viewed: 98, Subs: 29, Faves: 1
Steam Workshop :: Cities at least 9 hexes away : Viewed: 142, Subs: 38, Faves: 2

About half are at 5. And the other half are not. Definitely demand for more than one flavor.

I also received requests for settings at 2 and 3, which currently is not allowed. My guess is the city radius needs to be shrunk, which I do not now how to do yet.

which modifier should be changed

Totally forgot to mention the setting. My bad.

The mod is a single setting change, altering the CITY_MIN_RANGE setting found in GlobalParameters.xml. The setting controls the number of hexes between not away. That means away = between + 1. So if you want cities spaces 9 hexes away, then set the value to 8.

<GameData>
<GlobalParameters>
<!-- CITY_MIN_RANGE was 3, changed to 8 -->
<!-- 8 hexes between cities means each city is 9 hexes away -->
<Update>
<Where Name="CITY_MIN_RANGE"/>
<Set Value="8"/>
</Update>
</GlobalParameters>
</GameData>

Hope this helps.

Cheers,