1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

City limits

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Knuckles, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Junius Brutus

Junius Brutus Chieftain

After additional experimentation, I'm having the same problem even using unmodded Conquests. I start with 512 cities. I can build about 45 more, but after that the game crashes. I've been playing using the No Raze, No City Limits, No Units Limits exe downloaded from here. I'm stumped. Any ideas?

2. Oni Ryuu

Oni Ryuu Chieftain

I’ve only recently reached the 512 city limit and I think I’m only up to about 525 now. You’re going to have to track down one to the older members more familiar with this patch. I’m out of my depth with this stuff.

3. Junius Brutus

Junius Brutus Chieftain

OK, thanks.

4. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

Describe the crash. Is it a crash to desktop? Is the game freezing but staying open? a BSD? Something Else?

5. Junius Brutus

Junius Brutus Chieftain

I get a message box saying that the application is no longer working with an option to close the program or let it keep trying. When I select close, I go right out to the desktop.

6. Oni Ryuu

Oni Ryuu Chieftain

If it’s this message upload_2017-3-24_2-25-29.png I always get that between turns. It’s just the result of a high demand on your RAM causing the computer to focus on working out the enemy turns and neglecting the visual side. It will last for 5 minutes in a small game and up to 25 late in a 360x360 (max) map.

Useful tip, if you press the windows key you can do other stuff on your computer whilst you wait. I’d keep it to browsing the internet or playing minesweeper, anything that doesn’t take away too mush processing power from the game.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  7. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

One major cause for this kind of delay is that the game engine tests every possible trade route between each city. In other words, for each pair of cities the game is checking every possible path tile by tile to see if it can make a connection. Removing the built-in city limits increases the potential pairs. A larger map multiplies the possible tile paths. Improvements such as harbors increase the possible paths even further. Then there are the potential paths for unit movement between cities ...

8. Junius Brutus

Junius Brutus Chieftain

I am getting a message like that. It's not between turns, though. It's when I build the 557th city. I'm playing on a map that is 224 x 200.