Oh, I did next to nothing.. the original conquests.exe is pretty much nothing but hex code... I wouldn't have a clue what to do with it. The modified ones have readable text added in the ascii/ansi section which show things like the directory paths and what appears to be calls to functions. So there are things like "BLITZLIMIT". I think that there is a way to determine where in the hex (which is the code) that BLITZLIMIT calls to, so it can be located so you have a remote clue of what to possibly change, I just don't know at the moment how to go about doing this (I haven't really looked yet though). I don't even know if that is the right way to go about it. I took C classes a long long time ago, so at best I am really rusty with anything.
I just made some changes to some of the directories for where it grabs the graphics files, but that is beyond simple, anyone could do so. E.G. I changed it to look for the barracks icon graphic somewhere else with a different name, and it worked fine. Of course, I wouldn't be able to do so in the original conquests.exe, only the already modified one. I did locate all the exact portions that were changed in the non-citylimit exe compared to the citylimit exe. So with some study, I might be able to eventually figure something out as to 'how' and 'why'. With some luck and time!
Maybe I send knuckles a msg, so if he gets on, he can ask sYn for a quick down and dirty tutorial of how he locates. I know knuckles said they did something like a brute force search IIRC.
Perhaps even Quintillus or Steph may have more knowledge about going about something like that.