City Name Maps

Wait, which characters and signs can't I use? Genève, Caïro?
And do I have to work with the city maps in the worldbuilder itself or place landmark signs?

Latin-1 chars:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO/IEC_8859-1
Both è and ï should work, theoretically

Work in the wordbuilder, much easier for me that way.
Also, you should save inside the WB

AbsintheRed, I've emailed you the Turkish city name map. I fixed it up for Egypt, the levant, and Eastern Anatolia, as well as adding a bunch of city names in Italy and Tunisia and a few minor fixes elsewhere. I've also made a few minor changes to the Byzantine city name map (again), mainly hellenizing city names, and the Arabic city name map as well. I've changed Thessalonica to Thessaloniki, so you might want to adjust the preset city name.

AbsintheRed, I've emailed you the Turkish city name map. I fixed it up for Egypt, the levant, and Eastern Anatolia, as well as adding a bunch of city names in Italy and Tunisia and a few minor fixes elsewhere. I've also made a few minor changes to the Byzantine city name map (again), mainly hellenizing city names, and the Arabic city name map as well. I've changed Thessalonica to Thessaloniki, so you might want to adjust the preset city name.

Sounds great, thanks!
Will be up with my next SVN commit, tonight or tomorrow

PS: Any other update plans maybe? ;)

Sounds great, thanks!
Will be up with my next SVN commit, tonight or tomorrow

PS: Any other update plans maybe? ;)

Fix up the rest of the maps there. I assume there's an easy way to copy the Arabic CNM for Cordoba? Otherwise, that's going to be a big pain...

Fix up the rest of the maps there. I assume there's an easy way to copy the Arabic CNM for Cordoba? Otherwise, that's going to be a big pain...

If the 2 maps should be the same, then yeah, it's just a copy-paste of some python code
Or do you think there should be some differences on the 2 maps?

Well, if one could find Andalusian or Maghrebi Arabic names, that would be even better. But what we have now is fine, in my opinion.

By the way, is there any other place that is quite messed up right now (in terms of the CNM)?

Well, if one could find Andalusian or Maghrebi Arabic names, that would be even better. But what we have now is fine, in my opinion.

Just to be sure, currently the 2 city name maps are the same?
(not counting your latest Arabian changes, of course)

By the way, is there any other place that is quite messed up right now (in terms of the CNM)?

Kiev
Komar said he wants to update it, but kinda disappeared after some problems with his worldbuilder

Just to be sure, currently the 2 city name maps are the same?
(not counting your latest Arabian changes, of course)

I haven't checked, but I'm pretty sure they are. You've said it yourself.

Kiev
Komar said he wants to update it, but kinda disappeared after some problems with his worldbuilder

Sure. What's wrong, exactly? It looks okay to me, but I don't know much about that area, so I could be wrong.

I haven't checked, but I'm pretty sure they are. You've said it yourself.

Hmm, I'm not entirely sure anymore
I listed the two separately in the second post of the thread, I probably had a reason for this :)
Will check it before merging in your changes

Sure. What's wrong, exactly? It looks okay to me, but I don't know much about that area, so I could be wrong.

I made some changes in the area a while ago, but mostly some quick-patch for them
Many of those locations are inaccurate, maybe even some of the cities

I've updated the French city name map, mainly in the Middle East, and emailed it to you. I assume you can just copy and paste that area for Burgundy as well?

Also, still waiting on my changes on the Byzantine, Arabic, and Turkish city name maps. ;)

I've updated the French city name map, mainly in the Middle East, and emailed it to you. I assume you can just copy and paste that area for Burgundy as well?

Thanks!
Those 2 are the same, so both is good to go

Also, still waiting on my changes on the Byzantine, Arabic, and Turkish city name maps. ;)

Yeah, didn't forget them.
I wanted to check the Cordoban and Arabian differences first (whether your Arabian updates should cover all of Cordoba's city name map as well), but something was wrong with sourceforge and couldn't easily reach single files from previous revisions.

Anyway, all your city name map changes will be updated after I was able to easily compare the 2 maps.
Probably with my next commit, tonight or tomorrow.

(Kiev)

I noticed that while there is the independent city of "Kursk", if you found a city just west of the stone it will also be named "Kursk", for example.
I don't know anything about the region in this timeframe, but that one struck me as a sign that the name maps in the area aren't finished.

I noticed that while there is the independent city of "Kursk", if you found a city just west of the stone it will also be named "Kursk", for example.
I don't know anything about the region in this timeframe, but that one struck me as a sign that the name maps in the area aren't finished.

Yeah, Kievan city names are very inaccurate geopgraphically
I made a very quick band-aid quite a while ago to cover the biggest mistakes (like Kiev misplaced), but it wasn't updated properly
Hopefully Komar will be able to make some improvements on it

Uploading your city map updates right now
I made some minor changes, most notably I renamed the Çanakkale spot to also be Gelibolu (Gallipoli)
The Ottomans are meant to start there, even found the city as their inital capital, as it was their first position in Europe
It's their starting spot for gameplay reasons, but at least we also have some historical connection this way (I'm not aware of any with Çanakkale)
I think it's better this way, even if it's not perfect geographically to also have Gallipoli on the Anatolian side of the strait

@DC123456789
Checked the Arabian and Cordoban city name maps in previous versions, and they were totally the same.
So, all your recent Arabian updates will also make it to Cordoban map in my next update.

@Civciv5
Sry for the delay
Here is the latest Dutch city name map

Attachments

• Dutch_2013_07_11.zip
    37.5 KB · Views: 46
I've added a few names to the Bulgarian city name map, and I've also greatly expanded the Norse one in the Levant, Egypt, and the British Isles. Note that the British Isles names are largely Old Norse from the Viking Age, whereas the city names in the Middle East are largely more modern Danish/Norwegian. I should be emailing the file to you shortly.

Here is the edited Dutch map, I also hope the fish near Antwerpen hasn't moved 1 North because that would discourage me from settling Brugge, Antwerpen or Gent.

Attachments

• Dutch_2013_07_13.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    778.6 KB · Views: 36
Here is the edited Dutch map, I also hope the fish near Antwerpen hasn't moved 1 North because that would discourage me from settling Brugge, Antwerpen or Gent.

Umm.. what map did you use?
Or if it's the map I uploaded a couple posts above, then how did you edit and then save the map?
Why are all those byzantine city names on the map?

I don't know, I just downloaded the Dutch map you uploaded two posts above mine. I edited the landmarks, because I thought I should do it so. Then I saved the worldbuilder file and uploaded it here. The Byzantine landmarks were already there.

Top Bottom