1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

City Name Maps

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by AbsintheRed, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Kartoffelvampir

Kartoffelvampir Chieftain

If you conquer Caen as the french, it renames to Bayoux. Is that a mistake?

2. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Since we had lots of changes to the map recently, (almost) all the City Name Maps will have to be revised or grealty updated for RFCE 1.0
    Most likely the next version will have the old city maps or half finished city maps though, as we want to release it ASAP

Anyway, I will upload all the city name maps on the latest RFCE map in a few days to this thread
    Then we can start working on them for 1.0

3. Voyelles

Voyelles Chieftain

About Bayeux etc
    This is due to the English map not having been revised since time immemorial. Similar instances will be found up and down the French coastline.

4. 2phunkey4u

2phunkey4u West-Eastern Divan

Now that some city maps are out of sync, I wanted to do some help here, but my BtS crashes when I try to open the WB files. Any ideas?

5. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Sry everyone, these last 2 weeks of exam period was rougher than expected, didn't have any time to mod
    Everything should be back on track in a few days, including the city name maps
    Will get back with details soon

6. Michael Vick

Michael Vick #1

I've been working on this intermittently for the past few weeks, with the new world builder I've tried to lay the groundwork for all city name map synchronizations with the new map in the Western half of the map.

This groundwork consists of completely finished French and Byzantine maps, synchronized with each other. There is a French name for every single tile West of the Danube River except for Britain and parts of Iberia. The entire coast of North Africa is also completely done in both Latin and Arabic. The only city-placing left to do is in Britain, Ireland, and in whatever areas East of the Danube were edited (Which I think are few, other than Scandinavia).

Absinthered, I think that the process of city name map editing could be done like last time with volunteers downloading and re-uploading this file with whatever changes. I say we now begin working on the maps starting with this file, with your blessing of course.

Notes:

-Most urgently, fresh city name maps made from scratch are needed for Britain and Scandinavia. That way, the other maps of other languages can be easily expanded into these areas. I was reluctant to make my own maps for these, considering there's definitely people on this forum with more knowledge of these areas than myself. I know there is a big Swedish following of this modmod ;)

-I didn't manually change the Burgundy map as well as the French, Austrian as well as the German, Cordoban as well as the Arabic, etc., I'm assuming one can just be copied over the over to avoid most of the work?

-I'd like to finish the Arabic map in Southern Europe myself, I'm working on it now but I thought I should upload this sooner rather than later in order to prevent unsynchronized independent projects. I also want to do Spanish and Portuguese myself.

-Even without the new map changes, the city name maps were very out of sync, so to anybody interested in volunteering, don't just work in the changed areas, I wouldn't leave any stone unturned. Always refer to the French city name map with the world builder , as it is very very expansive and completely up to date.

-If there is a name for a tile in French, Latin, or Arabic (the three updated languages), check here first before you upload something that disagrees them. If it has none of those, go ahead throw your idea down on the city name map. Of course, ignore any name in any language on any tile in Britain, Ireland, and Scandinavia. :)

Attached Files:

7. Voyelles

Voyelles Chieftain

Good work Vick! I'll have a look and see whether I can find anything to contribute ;)

8. Morholt

Morholt Prince

You're welcome :)
    Someone Danish/Norwegian/Finnish might want to take a look as well.

What I did not do: Norse names for Britain. Also I do not think Sweden should have Norse names for anything, Old Norse was extinct by the time Sweden spawns.

Attached Files:

9. Michael Vick

Michael Vick #1

This is the post where I'll keep the most recently updated city name map file. If you would like to help expand on, add to, or suggest any revision to the city name maps, or if you just want to play the newest version of RFCE with the latest city name maps in development, this is the file for you. To use it, go in your Beyond the Sword/MODS/RFCEurope/Assets/Python, find "RFCEMaps", remove that file, and replace it with this one.

So far, we have totally completed city name maps (updated to accommodate the new map changes) for the following civs:

• Byzantium
    • Arabia
    • France
    • Norse (Thank you, Morholt)
    • Cordoba
    • Burgundy
    • Sweden (All praise be to Morholt)

I'm currently working on the Spanish and Portuguese maps, that will be up next. :)

I will upload a city name map file for RFCE ++ sometime next week when I'll have added a few more civs to the list.

Note: There is no city name map in any language anywhere in the British Isles. The British Isles have the old city name maps for every civ, including the ones above. Anyone that likes English history is more than welcome to start that project and upload that right away :)

If you want to work on a map on your own, note:

• We need the British Isles :D
    • Don't upload changes to name maps of the civs listed above before mentioning the changes in this thread.
    • If you do go and change one of them, change it for all the civs (listed above) with a name already on the tile.
    • The French city name map is very expansive and 100% accurate. Everywhere. (except for Britain :lol:) Use it as a reference whenever possible.
    • Eastern Europe was not changed physically by the recent releases but it's an absolute mess in terms of synchronization. If anyone is willing to undertake this, a great place to start would be to make a master-map on which to base the other changes. The Balkans are the worst, an updated, highly accurate Turkish map would be great.

Attached Files:

10. 3Miro

3Miro Deity

I will sync the Byz, Ottoman and Bulgarian maps on the Balkans (without Asia Minor). I will do that before I release the final version. The biggest out-of-sync is between Kiev and Moscow, but we need someone from Ukraine, Russia, Belarus or Moldova to do this part. It is just too hard for those of us that aren't familiar with the geography.

11. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

I was also working on the city name maps for the last couple days - generally on everything
    When can you upload your spanish and portuguese changes? Can you do it tonight?
    I want to merge all my updates with Morholt's and your changes ASAP, as we want to release the next version this weekend

12. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

@Michael Vick: Any news on your Spanish and Portuguese additions?

13. 3Miro

3Miro Deity

PM him so he would get an e-mail. He may not come to the forum often enough. Unfortunately we are pressed on time.

14. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Yep, already PMed him
    Meanwhile I continue to improve some other areas, hopefully we can merge together a pretty decent version in the next 2 days

15. Michael Vick

Michael Vick #1

Just finished the Spanish map, I'll upload it with the Portuguese in about an hour.

EDIT: Done. The last thing I'm going to do is eventually upload Dutch, Italian and German maps better synchronized, then we'll have a perfect Western Europe.

Attached Files:

16. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Cool :goodjob:
    When do you think you can finish your dutch, german and italian sync?

17. Michael Vick

Michael Vick #1

It's only a few small changes scattered here and there, I'll have it out today. For the German map however, I'm only doing everything West of the Danube, I don't really know about the quality of the Polish, Lithuanian maps, etc.

18. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

No prob, actually it's even better this way
    Will be easier for me to merge

19. 3Miro

3Miro Deity

When you say improve, I hope you mean the city names. If you change anything meaningful in the terrain and resources, then I will not have time to rebalance and make sure things are still OK with the AI.

City names can be fixed without any concern for balance.

20. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Don't worry, won't touch the map for the 1.0 release :)
    I was talking about city name maps

Later I plan to make a few updates to the Levant and parts of Anatolia though
    Actually I already have a half-ready version of it, but unfortunately didn't have time to finish it in the last few weeks
    Anyway, I want to keep those changes small, no more huge changes will happen to the map we currently have