1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

City names are mostly unreadable! Any solution to this?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by RisingSun, Oct 22, 2016.

1. RisingSun

RisingSun Chieftain

It's almost impossible to read most city names... is there any solution to this? Changing any .XML file, or the size of the city tooltip?

This is what I mean:

I can't be the only one...

2. RisingSun

RisingSun Chieftain

Anybody else bothered by this or do you all have your screens set at 200% contrast?

3. anandus

anandus Errorist

I'm not sure what the problem is, I can read it just fine?

Edit: Why is it unreadable for you?

4. Draeren

Draeren Chieftain

Scythia's colours definitely need some tweaking, I agree it is difficult to read anything on their city banners.

5. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

Giving the letters a black or a white border would fix the contrast issues and make the font more readable. :)

Icicle likes this.
  6. skallben

skallben Holy Megalomaniac

That reads poorly, agreed.

7. RisingSun

RisingSun Chieftain

Do you believe the readability/text antialias will be addressed anytime soon?

8. se7en

se7en Chieftain

You've got something wacky with your color settings on your computer. Check your video adapter settings maybe? You need to turn down the pink.

9. RisingSun

RisingSun Chieftain

It's Asus Splendid Gaming mode. It does affect vibration and saturation, not contrast. As wacky as it might be, the text is clearly not so readable. If you still don't agree, provide a similar screenshot.

10. contrasupra

contrasupra Chieftain

I think the pink is from the dynamic time of day lighting mechanic. It's probably sunrise or something.

11. Chinese American

Chinese American Hamtastic Knight

The issue is unselected cities have their tags more transparent. So the background blurs through onto the tags. Also some civs have terrible color combinations.

12. RisingSun

RisingSun Chieftain

Was it sorted out in Rise and Fall, judging from the livestreams? Or the recent screenshots?

13. kaspergm

kaspergm Chieftain

Yes, many civs have bad colours. Indonesia is also absolutely horrible.

You can change it through a mod. For instance, make a mod with the following SQL update - here's an example I'm using myself for Indonesia:

Code:
    UPDATE Colors SET Color = '251,240,208,255' WHERE Type = 'COLOR_PLAYER_INDONESIA_PRIMARY';
    UPDATE Colors SET Color = '170,0,77,255' WHERE Type = 'COLOR_PLAYER_INDONESIA_SECONDARY';

14. Lord Xavius

Lord Xavius Mostly Lurking

"Unreadable" is very subjective, I have no problem whatsoever with the example given (or any civ's colors). But since some people do, I agree that Firaxis should look into it. Same reason why there are colorblind modes in a lot of games, most people don't need them, but for those who do it's a lot of help.

Phoenix1595 and Guandao like this.
  15. sonicmyst

sonicmyst Chieftain

The only unreadable civ for me so far is Indonesia. I just hope either Firaxis tweak these civs (including Scythia) for more readability, or have at least a toggle for color blind people.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    conorbebe likes this.
  16. Arianrhod

Arianrhod Chieftain

Just add a thin black or white border to city names across the board, depending on the the involved colors. That sort of thing should really be common sense when you're adding colored text to a colored field and I'm not sure what failure of a UI designer approved this. If people really don't want it for some bizarre reason, you can always make it a toggle or something.

I've got fair colorblindness and have difficulty reading the city name in the opening post. I can, mind, but it's far from clear. The fact that people are responding to it with "oh please, that one's fine, have you seen civ X?" isn't an excuse for bad UI design -- it's all the more reason why this needs to be resolved posthaste.

17. Icicle

Icicle Chieftain

Agree, Indonesia's color scheme is really unfortunate. I hope they add a simple border or something in the expansion.

conorbebe likes this.
  18. Xur

Xur Chieftain

You have no idea how screenshots work?

19. Lord Xavius

Lord Xavius Mostly Lurking

Judging from the last livestream they have changed Indonesia's colors, the blue is now a jade-ish green instead (kinda like Morocco in V). No idea if that helps or just makes it worse.

sonicmyst likes this.
  20. Futumch

Futumch Calm as a Coma

I've had Scythia set as Burgundy and Lavender for a while now. The Tan colour just gets lost against a lot of the terrain.
    Having said that I only have a handful of civs using their original Firaxis colour schemes. Australia HAD to be green and gold (opposite of Brazil). : )

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    sonicmyst and conorbebe like this.