City names are mostly unreadable! Any solution to this?

RisingSun

Chieftain
It's almost impossible to read most city names... is there any solution to this? Changing any .XML file, or the size of the city tooltip?

This is what I mean:

I can't be the only one...

Anybody else bothered by this or do you all have your screens set at 200% contrast?

Scythia's colours definitely need some tweaking, I agree it is difficult to read anything on their city banners.

Giving the letters a black or a white border would fix the contrast issues and make the font more readable. :)

You've got something wacky with your color settings on your computer. Check your video adapter settings maybe? You need to turn down the pink.

It's Asus Splendid Gaming mode. It does affect vibration and saturation, not contrast. As wacky as it might be, the text is clearly not so readable. If you still don't agree, provide a similar screenshot.

You've got something wacky with your color settings on your computer. Check your video adapter settings maybe? You need to turn down the pink.

I think the pink is from the dynamic time of day lighting mechanic. It's probably sunrise or something.

The issue is unselected cities have their tags more transparent. So the background blurs through onto the tags. Also some civs have terrible color combinations.

Was it sorted out in Rise and Fall, judging from the livestreams? Or the recent screenshots?

Yes, many civs have bad colours. Indonesia is also absolutely horrible.

You can change it through a mod. For instance, make a mod with the following SQL update - here's an example I'm using myself for Indonesia:

Code:
UPDATE Colors SET Color = '251,240,208,255' WHERE Type = 'COLOR_PLAYER_INDONESIA_PRIMARY';
UPDATE Colors SET Color = '170,0,77,255' WHERE Type = 'COLOR_PLAYER_INDONESIA_SECONDARY';

"Unreadable" is very subjective, I have no problem whatsoever with the example given (or any civ's colors). But since some people do, I agree that Firaxis should look into it. Same reason why there are colorblind modes in a lot of games, most people don't need them, but for those who do it's a lot of help.

The only unreadable civ for me so far is Indonesia. I just hope either Firaxis tweak these civs (including Scythia) for more readability, or have at least a toggle for color blind people.

Last edited:
Just add a thin black or white border to city names across the board, depending on the the involved colors. That sort of thing should really be common sense when you're adding colored text to a colored field and I'm not sure what failure of a UI designer approved this. If people really don't want it for some bizarre reason, you can always make it a toggle or something.

I've got fair colorblindness and have difficulty reading the city name in the opening post. I can, mind, but it's far from clear. The fact that people are responding to it with "oh please, that one's fine, have you seen civ X?" isn't an excuse for bad UI design -- it's all the more reason why this needs to be resolved posthaste.

The only unreadable civ for me so far is Indonesia. I just hope either Firaxis tweak these civs (including Scythia) for more readabiloty, or have at least a toggle for color blind people.

Agree, Indonesia's color scheme is really unfortunate. I hope they add a simple border or something in the expansion.

You have no idea how screenshots work?

Judging from the last livestream they have changed Indonesia's colors, the blue is now a jade-ish green instead (kinda like Morocco in V). No idea if that helps or just makes it worse.

I've had Scythia set as Burgundy and Lavender for a while now. The Tan colour just gets lost against a lot of the terrain.
Having said that I only have a handful of civs using their original Firaxis colour schemes. Australia HAD to be green and gold (opposite of Brazil). : )

Last edited:
Top Bottom