City Names mod for BTS

Date of founding makes sense to some extent, but doesn't always. For example, civilizations like the Byzantines or Babylonians mostly consist of cities founded by other civilizations.

Philly is also a decent choice, and is maybe easier to argue for than New York.

Yes. I third Philadelphia as the capital. Then New York and then I would put Washington.

I actually have a full list of Viking cities at home. The list is based more on foundation dates, and pays no attention to current ownership (so some cities which are today Russian/Ukranian/English/Irish are in there), and are mostly (as I remember) their historical names.

I'll post it later, and you can see how you like it.

Here's the Viking list:

Roskilde
Uppsala
Aros
Ribe
Birka
Lindholm
Viborg
Aldeigjuborg (Starya Ladoga in Russia)
Haithabu
Konugard (Kiev's original, Varangian name)
Kaupang
Limerick
Dyflin
Holmgard
Vadrejford
Reykjavik
Tonsberg
Tynwald
Stamford
Leirvik
Visby
Jelling
Odense
Skara
Nidaros
Lodose
Vasteras
Oslo
Sigtuna
Lund
Kirkjuvagr
Bjorgvin
Stavanger
Brattahlid
Kirkjubour

I would move Haithabu up in the list, because of it's importance as a trading post. (They found coins even from islamic countries from that time at the site where Haithabu was.)

So I'm going through Huayna Capac's list of Mayan cities, and he's using the original Mayan names where possible. These names, however, tend to be recreated from archaeology, not commonly used, and possibly the names of the kingdoms (or city-states) instead of the city itself.

This leads to questions of accuracy. In general with the mod, I've used city names as they're generally used in the English-speaking world - Moscow instead of Moskva, Thebes instead of Niwt-Rst, etc.

Which do you all find preferable? Should it be consistent across the mod? Should it depend on the civ? OR should I just power through until I steal Rhye's name-changing Python code?

I would move Haithabu up in the list, because of it's importance as a trading post. (They found coins even from islamic countries from that time at the site where Haithabu was.)

You're right that Haithabu (Hedeby) was very important. The cities further up the list were founded earlier, though, and were also important. :)

This leads to questions of accuracy. In general with the mod, I've used city names as they're generally used in the English-speaking world - Moscow instead of Moskva, Thebes instead of Niwt-Rst, etc.

If possible for more than 50% of the Civs, I'd prefer to use the name the cities really have been/are called in their language. One reason is simple: Civ4 isn't only available in english language. If you play a russian language version (for example), I see no reason, why the city should be called Moscow instead of Moskva, or if you play a german language version, why the city should be called Munich instead of München. A second reason is flavor: If you select a unit, a sound is played, which is supposed to be in the civs language, and modders spend much time to create ethnical units and buildings. So, it would be logical to make the city names also ethnical.

You're right that Haithabu (Hedeby) was very important. The cities further up the list were founded earlier, though, and were also important. :)

Well, maybe you are right. :) It was just a suggestion, what felt right for me.

I noticed yesterday that in the original CIV, cities were localized - i.e., the french language version would use french spelling, etc.

In any case, what citylists should look like and their spelling is a very subjective topic. There's no right answer for any of this. I also find it slightly amusing that a nomad would make a city name mod! ;)

So, for example, the Arabs would found Al-Quds instead of Jerusalem. The Egyptians found Niwt-Rst instead of Thebes. The Indians found Dilli instead of Delhi. That's good by y'all? Rome is Roma. Athens, Athenai.

By the way, most of these are available in the Rhye's and Fall of Civilization and RAND python city names code. If you've played those mods, and think that that's the best way to go, I wouldn't disagree a whole lot.

Yes. I would like that a lot. And BTW what's on your Indian city list? You should have some Harappan names on there near the top (Harappa, Mohenjo-Daro), and cities like Ayodhya and Pataliputra high as well.

EDIT: I made a Chinese city list. You can change it or whatever. Note: it's for Civ III, when you could just enter names, so it's long.

Beijing
Chang'an
Luoyang
Anyang
Nanjing
Hangzhou
Kaifeng
Shanghai
Guangdong
Tianjin
Wuhan
Chengdu
Chongqing
Fuzhou
Yangzhou
Suzhou
Guilin
Kunming
Kashgar
Dalian
Ningbo
Xinjian
Changsha
Baoting
Nanning
Baotou
Changchun
Xianggang
Macao
Hainan
Taipei
Malacca
Lhasa
Kotan

The biggest problem with original-language city names is when multiple civs can lay claim to the same city. For example, Jerusalem is on several different civs' lists right now. If the Arabs start founding Al-Quds while the Romans keep founding Jerusalem, then the same city will exist multiple times.

Rhye's Python code for city name changing MIGHT prevent this, but it also might not. I haven't figured out a great way to test that.

This is interesting. A while back I renamed Native Americans to Sioux and renamed most of their cities. Also did the Barbarians, mostly changing the form of the original city name.

Oo. Since this has been bumped, I have updated my Chinese list I submitted. Here is a better version (the order of Beijing in relation to Chang'an is debatable):

Spoiler :
Chang'an (or Beijing)
Beijing (or Chang'an)
Luoyang
Anyang
Nanjing
Hangzhou
Kaifeng
Shanghai
Guangzhou
Quanzhou
Zhengzhou
Zibo
Tianjin
Qingdao
Wuhan
Chengdu
Chongqing
Fuzhou
Yangzhou
Suzhou
Guilin
Dalian
Harbin
Shenyang
Changchun
Kunming
Kashgar
Dunhuang
Lanzhou
Baotou
Ningbo
Changsha
Baoding
Nanning
Xianggang
Shenzhen
Dongguan
Taiyuan
Fushun
Aomen
Haikou
Taibei
Gaoxiong
Hetian
Urumqi
Lasa
Rikaze

So yeah, I renamed Native American to Sioux and here are the city names I came up with:

Spoiler :
Cahokia
Winona
Sissetonwan
Inyan Kara
Wasta
Oacoma
Spiro
Mne Sota
Nacogdoches
Nanih Waiya
Anhaica
Etowah
Ocmulgee
Kituhwa
Oglala
Onondaga
Bawating
Acoma
Nambé
Hovenweep
Wahpeton
Criel
Joara
Cankpe Opi
Chota
Oneida
Hunkpapa
Mdewakanton
Wahpetonwan
Ihanktonwan
Kiet Siel
Minniconjou
Wickliffe
Aztalan
Sicangu
Tsirege

there's actually more I think but this should be enough...

P.S. No more Poverty Point!

Top Bottom