1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

City Resource Stockpiling mod

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by TheLopez, Sep 17, 2010.

1. TheLopez

TheLopez Deity

Updated version and design notes... we are slowly but getting there...

And to quell some fears, I will continue working on Civ4 stuff since most of my mods are SDK based...

2. CellKu

CellKu Emperor

That is good to hear! :)

Regarding the "bleeding" of resources to other cities: Perhaps you could add a "resource bleeding" slider like the science or espionage slider. So, the player could "pay" for having resources distributed more quickly. That would avoid the hassle of micromanagment (with wagons), but at the same time mirror real life a bit (as when you hire people/companies to help you distribute your commoditites and then have to pay for that). But IMO this slider should not interfere too much with the "main" sliders. So, perhaps it should move in 5% steps or less.

Moreover, I would also be in favour of a distribution screen that allows you to target certain cities (and avoid random distribution). That would help specializing cities a bit (e.g. sending iron over to the city that currently produces swordmen). But I think you mentioned such a screen already.

3. TheLopez

TheLopez Deity

Updated version and design note information and added a teaser image.

4. CellKu

CellKu Emperor

Looks very promising! :goodjob: Thanks for the teaser picture - that gives a good idea of what this mod will be capable of. :)

Btw, do you think the idea with the slider (see my previous post) would be possible to implement? (To enable the player to control the "bleeding" or better the distribution of resources.)

5. TheLopez

TheLopez Deity

With enough time anything is possible.

6. keldath

keldath LivE LonG AnD PrOsPeR

ahh sweet i see its coming along,

the force is strong with this mod.

7. TheLopez

TheLopez Deity

Huh, another idea... what about allowing settlers to take x% of the stockpile from the city where they were built and then add that stockpile to the city they found?

8. TheLadiesOgre

TheLadiesOgre Aspiring Codesmith

I had a similar idea, though it was as startup for the city. If a building has a Resource Prereq and you load the appropriate amount onto the Settler, when the Settler settles the new city it starts out with the building in the city.

Example: Walls require 50 Stone, load the Settler with 50 Stone when he settles the city it starts with Walls

9. TheLopez

TheLopez Deity

I am going to implement the starting stockpile for civilization tags. The question is should I allow for tags that let settler units carry stockpiles? the tag would let modders specify the % to take from cities.

10. TheLadiesOgre

TheLadiesOgre Aspiring Codesmith

tags that allow non-SDK savvy modders to do things are never a bad idea.

11. keldath

settler moving srock[pile from one cit to another? the stock pile isnt a global stockpile? you intend to have a stock for each city?

how will the stockpile work by the way? certain unit for example will need a certain number resource to be built? say you have 10 iron and a swordsman takes to so upon build - you'll have 8? meaning will it work like money? and if you cancel the build, will the iron cost return to you?

i hope the ai will know how to use this, and more important will the ai will try to control as much resources as possible? to get more + for stockpiles?

civ5 uses a really really cool system of resources, i guess you saw it already.

i cant wait for this mod to reach a final build, i have great plans for this!

12. TheLopez

TheLopez Deity

Yep, I am envisioning settlers taking x% of the city stockpiles with them when they leave the city to go found another city. Yes, cities have their own stockpiles. Global stockpiles make no sense what so ever. Why should a city with access to gold provide that gold to a city all the way on the other side of your empire? Instead resources will bleed from the source city across your empire.

The way I am setting up the infrastructure modders will be able to specify stockpiled resource requirements for constructing buildings, wonders and units... though now that I think of it... projects should be included in that list (Sorry TLO, v0.4 will be delayed by a day or two now.)

I am working on that... such a radical shift in the way a basic concept of the game works takes time :)

No comment... but really, it doesn't make a lick of sense to have empire wide bonuses. Its not realistic. This is one of my main problems with Civ5... they over simplified a lot of things and kept things simple (happiness is empire wide now too????). Don't get me wrong there are a lot of good things in Civ5 (city growth being one of them) but there are a lot of bad things.

13. keldath

hey man,

i know what you mean bout civ5, for now, im not sure im fond of it, i suspect ill need atleast one expansion pack and a lot of modding to get me to move completely to civ5, i think for now, civ4 is much much more rich with content, and more colorful.

ok so each city has a stockpile - i think i like this, thats way if you wanna produce something - each city has its own pile.
    but, then again, how does the stock pile works - if i have 1 iron to my empire - will every city get 1 iron per turn, or just one city? if just one city m then how opther cities will build units based on iron? i guess you got it as the first option, +1 to all cities, and per city pile, sounds better, although not more logical.

yeah i think everything you can build should have the option to cost piles.

im sure youll get it right, judge your latest mods, you've covered it all well :)

the settler thing is fine, its reasonable and cool.

with your decaying system, mullti bonus preqeq, this entire system your making, could really change civ4, this is so awesome,the entire city buildings and construction strategy will be much more exiting, spamming of bonuses on the map will have a meaning!

of topic:
    civ5 embarking is rather cool - a really great idea.

hope youll finish this soon.

p.s.
    unit crews?

14. TheLopez

TheLopez Deity

Only the city that actually improves and works the tile will get the bonus/turn. There are three tiers to getting the bonus: 1 connection to bonus gets you +1, working the tile with the bonus gets you +1, improving the bonus correctly gets you +1... this means that if you have at least one boni connected you can work all other tiles with the same boni for more +1... Look at the screenshot again that I posted and you'll see what I mean.

sounds like something someone I know is already doing :D Oh and if you look at my library thread in the to do post I do list the "Dynamic Resources Mod"... this is the last piece of that mod.

Yep, unit crews... a tank has a crew, individually they are really weak but together and manning a tank they are powerful. When the tank is destroyed one or more of the crew has a chance to survive. Get the crew back to a city and each crew member reduces the amount of time it takes to create the tank. Get the same crew back together and you get back a "copy" of the tank with same promos, etc. plus maybe a special promo... not sure just yet how it work 100%.

15. keldath

yeah i saw the screeni, hummm so if only a city that works a boni tile gets it, how will other cities will be able to build units with that bonues preqeq? its like your saying only if a city has in its vicinity a certain bonus it has the bonus on the pile. im missing something?
    and will the + from worked terrain and the bonus will be edible? or jus +1 as your set it by defualt?

cool unit crews sounds really fun.

ok ,
    saw your todo:
    1. tunnel mod - i dunno what that is, but ill say that i have a code for sea tunnels - roads over water that i use in my mod.
    2. fixed political - that sounds very interesting by name.
    3. regicide - sweet!

some of the other stuff you wrote there - already exists.

maybe you can add to that todo list - allterrain movement/embarking like civ5 and land transports ?

i didnt see a description for Dynamic Resources Mod, but im sure ill like it.

16. TheLopez

TheLopez Deity

city stockpiled resource bleed :D

Hmmm... good question. Probably a good configurable value.

Dynamic resources mod is basically this mod + resource decay mod + building resource converter mod + etc.

17. chobibo100

chobibo100 Chieftain

Is there going to be a UI for the city stockpile? I mean a window that shows what bonuses the stockpile has. I also want to suggest an addition to the bleeding of resources; how about adding a "send [x] resource to [city]", i.e. "send 10 iron ingots to Cumae". I think it would be good to have an option like this since we don't want to distribute some strategic resources like iron and copper to all of our cities because not all cities will be using them, by that I mean not all cities will be building offensive units which require these bonuses.

I'd really love to try this mod, looks like it would change the gameplay a lot from the original. Thank you for the effort man :D.

18. keldath

ahh nice one big combo mod, that should be easier to merge.

bleed, ok, i guess at a lower rate then.
    will it be depended on trade routes or something?

that would be nice.

chobibo100,
    look at the screen shot in the first post - you can see near the resources there's a number of the quantity.

19. CellKu

CellKu Emperor

I think that is a good idea. And would be in line with Sid's concept of enabling the player to control things. ;)

Regarding the "bleeding" of resources: maybe you could make that dynamic (getting faster with each era or when the player researches certain techs).

20. TheLopez

TheLopez Deity

Good point, I will add that feature when I get some time... maybe since I have enabled settlers to carry resources I could enable workers to pickup resources and drop them off at a city instead of having it be automatic... thus workers could be captured and their resources stolen?

Anyways, I have updated version notes and design notes in the main post. I am happy to say that the bulk of the code infrastructure is now done! Now its time to enable code only features like city bleed, resources through trade routes and deals and enable the AI to use the mod effectively.

EDIT: Sorry for the slowness in updates and progress on this mod... I've been busy as of late... damn Elizabeth won't give up the fight against my forces in Civ5 :D