City Resource Stockpiling mod

EDIT: Sorry for the slowness in updates and progress on this mod... I've been busy as of late... damn Elizabeth won't give up the fight against my forces in Civ5

take your time...have your buzz with civ5, i already had mine, and them started a game with civ4 :)

Good point, I will add that feature when I get some time... maybe since I have enabled settlers to carry resources I could enable workers to pickup resources and drop them off at a city instead of having it be automatic... thus workers could be captured and their resources stolen?
I like that. :) For people that do not love to micro things you could perhaps add an "automate"-button for the workers - such as the ones Afforress added for all sorts of unit actions?
Though, I still think about a kind of "trade"-advisor/screen where you can specify the cities that should send/receive resources and how many units per resource. Maybe you could add both features (screen/workers), so modders could choose? (if it is not too much to ask) :blush:
Anyways, I have updated version notes and design notes in the main post. I am happy to say that the bulk of the code infrastructure is now done! Now its time to enable code only features like city bleed, resources through trade routes and deals and enable the AI to use the mod effectively.
:goodjob:
EDIT: Sorry for the slowness in updates and progress on this mod... I've been busy as of late... damn Elizabeth won't give up the fight against my forces in Civ5 :D
Lucky guy! My machine isn't capable of running Civ5. But with your and other mods, I will have a lot of fun with Civ4 for quite some time.

This is a very complicated mod, but it opens a really wide deck of options to a modpack, really nicely done.

About the bleeding of resources, it will be like, if a city reach it's limit( which doesn't need to be so high) the resource goes to nearby cities and so on, spreading through the empire. And maybe using pathfinder algorithm using terrain features and improvments.

Leaving the resource spread automatically could make life a lot easier, since you wouldn't have to implement much to the AI, only see if they use buildings correctly.

Where is enable/disable building modcomp specifically( sorry to ask here, so many mod threads you have :) ). See ya

EDIT: i forgot to add, i planned a bit about a modcomp that would make resource distribution realistic adding maintenance to the path resources would have to travel to reach capital and then distributing over cities, this however is a much better solution, but really complicated, will it be easy for modders to implement it?

This is a very complicated mod, but it opens a really wide deck of options to a modpack, really nicely done.

About the bleeding of resources, it will be like, if a city reach it's limit( which doesn't need to be so high) the resource goes to nearby cities and so on, spreading through the empire. And maybe using pathfinder algorithm using terrain features and improvments.
Basically, 10% (will be configurable) of a cities stockpiled resources will bleed to cities in a 10 tile radius (also a configurable value). Thus if there are 2 cities within a 10 tile radius to another city they will each get 5% of that city's stockpile if they can stockpile the resources themselves. There will be another method that will allow players to choose a stockpiled resource and export that resource to a target city.

Leaving the resource spread automatically could make life a lot easier, since you wouldn't have to implement much to the AI, only see if they use buildings correctly.
I agree

Where is enable/disable building modcomp specifically( sorry to ask here, so many mod threads you have :) ). See ya
huh? What are you talking about?

EDIT: i forgot to add, i planned a bit about a modcomp that would make resource distribution realistic adding maintenance to the path resources would have to travel to reach capital and then distributing over cities, this however is a much better solution, but really complicated, will it be easy for modders to implement it?
It is a complex mod comp that completely changes the way resources work in the game. I enclose my changes in the XML, python and C++ with tags as specified in the readme file, so as long as you merge in all the changes it should work just fine.

Basically, 10% (will be configurable) of a cities stockpiled resources will bleed to cities in a 10 tile radius (also a configurable value). Thus if there are 2 cities within a 10 tile radius to another city they will each get 5% of that city's stockpile if they can stockpile the resources themselves. There will be another method that will allow players to choose a stockpiled resource and export that resource to a target city.
So, no bleed via trade routes? (If they aren't trading resource, then what are they trading over these trade routes? Souvenir spoons? Commemorative stamps? Limericks?)

BTW, I'm not sure that "bleed" is the best term to use - it sounds very negative: "I'm bleeding resources! Where are the bandages?" Diffusion, dispersion, and distribution all sound better (I have no idea why the replacement terms I came up with all start with D).

So, no bleed via trade routes? (If they aren't trading resource, then what are they trading over these trade routes? Souvenir spoons? Commemorative stamps? Limericks?)
There is... look at the to do notes on the first post.

BTW, I'm not sure that "bleed" is the best term to use - it sounds very negative: "I'm bleeding resources! Where are the bandages?" Diffusion, dispersion, and distribution all sound better (I have no idea why the replacement terms I came up with all start with D).
Bleed is the correct term because it connotes that it is happening if you want it or not. diffusion, distribution, etc. connotes that you can control it... though now that I think about it, it might not be a bad idea to add something that allows turning off the automated resource bleed/diffusion/distribution effect per city.

Ah, #16. I didn't notice that.

I think that having some degree of control would be a good thing. Not just and on/off switch but also perhaps a tag for buildings so that they can increase the rate, so you could build a trading post (or whatever) in a city to bump the rate up by a specifiable amount like 5% or 10% in that city (so a trading post that has a +10 gives a net of 20% from a default rate of 10%). This would help reduce the accumulation of resources in small out of the way places where they are not needed so much without having to keep manually sending the resources elsewhere using whatever mechanisms there are for that (like a market screen, or a unit that can carry the resources) - like a tundra city that will never grow above a population of 5 and never have much production capacity since it has nothing but a few tundra and some ice tiles, but is a source of some useful resource like iron.

Ah, #16. I didn't notice that.

I think that having some degree of control would be a good thing. Not just and on/off switch but also perhaps a tag for buildings so that they can increase the rate, so you could build a trading post (or whatever) in a city to bump the rate up by a specifiable amount like 5% or 10% in that city (so a trading post that has a +10 gives a net of 20% from a default rate of 10%). This would help reduce the accumulation of resources in small out of the way places where they are not needed so much without having to keep manually sending the resources elsewhere using whatever mechanisms there are for that (like a market screen, or a unit that can carry the resources) - like a tundra city that will never grow above a population of 5 and never have much production capacity since it has nothing but a few tundra and some ice tiles, but is a source of some useful resource like iron.

Another good idea... so a modifier tag to increase the percentage bleeding/transferring out? Huh... adding it to the todo list.

EDIT: You know... at some point I am going to have to cut you guys off and release a version to the public :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Alright, I have added the version information and the design notes... I have also added a new screenshot... so here's a question... should players be able to cancel the automated export orders? What are automated export orders you ask? The result of a city bleeding out resources is an automated export order. An export order is the packet of information that contains the type of resource, the target city, the source city, the amount of resource being transferred and the type of export order (manual and automated).

TheLopez, awesome! :goodjob:

Do I understand you (i.e. the screenshot) correctly that you implemented two ways for resources to be transferred from one city to another (an automated export order - a.k.a bleeding - and an export order that has to be initiated by the player)? If so, great! :goodjob:

With regard to your question: I think it would be a good idea to enable the player to cancel automated export orders. That way the player would be able to divert resources to other cities that need these resources more than others - giving him/her control if he/she wants it. (If he/she doesn't the cities - city governors - will "take care" of the resource transfer.)

Added export order infrastructure that will delay delivery of exported city stockpiled resources till the next turn.

Does that mean that the player will be able to keep the resources in a city (for that turn) - meaning: delay the export from a city - or does it concern the availability of resources in the other city - meaning: delaying the import of the receiving city?
Would it be possible to enable the player to determine how many turns a city should refrain from "bleeding"?

TheLopez, awesome! :goodjob:

Do I understand you (i.e. the screenshot) correctly that you implemented two ways for resources to be transferred from one city to another (an automated export order - a.k.a bleeding - and an export order that has to be initiated by the player)? If so, great! :goodjob:
Actually, there will be three ways: automated, export order from cities and workers... I haven't implemented the ability for workers to carry resources yet...

With regard to your question: I think it would be a good idea to enable the player to cancel automated export orders. That way the player would be able to divert resources to other cities that need these resources more than others - giving him/her control if he/she wants it. (If he/she doesn't the cities - city governors - will "take care" of the resource transfer.)
Good point... I will make them always enabled but leave the code there commented out in case someone wants the "feature"

TheLopez said:
Added export order infrastructure that will delay delivery of exported city stockpiled resources till the next turn.

Does that mean that the player will be able to keep the resources in a city (for that turn) - meaning: delay the export from a city - or does it concern the availability of resources in the other city - meaning: delaying the import of the receiving city?
Would it be possible to enable the player to determine how many turns a city should refrain from "bleeding"?
Basically, the resources are put in a warehouse and made unavailable to either the source city or target city. The target city will get them at the beginning of the next turn. If the player wants the resources back they can cancel the export orders and the resources will be available immediately.

Make sure to leave options configurable, via xml: amount of basic resource, transport workers, etc...

Out of topic
Spoiler :
Pllleaaasse, TheLopez, could you give me some help or hints concerning my mod proposal?
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=388151
I mostly need help on how to make data readable, ie: interface sending/receiving data to/from DLL.

Make sure to leave options configurable, via xml: amount of basic resource, transport workers, etc...

configurable options will be stored in the SDK and set through python though the python configuration layer won't required. Though doing it through the XML might be another way..

configurable options will be stored in the SDK and set through python though the python configuration layer won't required. Though doing it through the XML might be another way..

if i understand righ - youll wont have to use the python files when merging in another mod, but if you do choose to use them - i will be able to configure stuff with them right?

if i understand righ - youll wont have to use the python files when merging in another mod, but if you do choose to use them - i will be able to configure stuff with them right?

Only the configuration part of the python files... there are other python files that I needed to mod to get everything to work correctly. I tried doing it all in the SDK but it didn't work.

Some amount of bleed through trade routes would be interesting. Cities near a foreign source of Iron would be able to buy small amounts through private trade, if any is occurring, so having it go through trade routes (perhaps in return for a larger gold bonus from said trade route) would be realistic, and pose interesting challenges/choices (want your neighbour to have no access to your horses? Close borders, ban trade, or deal with it). If this came with increased control over trade routes, then this could also be interesting. . .

Great work mate :goodjob:

Some amount of bleed through trade routes would be interesting. Cities near a foreign source of Iron would be able to buy small amounts through private trade, if any is occurring, so having it go through trade routes (perhaps in return for a larger gold bonus from said trade route) would be realistic, and pose interesting challenges/choices (want your neighbour to have no access to your horses? Close borders, ban trade, or deal with it). If this came with increased control over trade routes, then this could also be interesting. . .

Great work mate :goodjob:

Yep, that's what I am thinking...

Thanks, we are still working on this mod. Its getting really close to an Alpha release. I won't call it a Beta until I get the AI using the system reliably.

Its getting really close to an Alpha release. I won't call it a Beta until I get the AI using the system reliably.

That´s great to read, I can´t wait to play this mod!
So far, your mod concept sounds like a "dream coming true"! Keep up the amazing work!:goodjob:

That´s great to read, I can´t wait to play this mod!
So far, your mod concept sounds like a "dream coming true"! Keep up the amazing work!:goodjob:

Thanks ozon... its not a mod, its a mod comp. I will only include one or two sample modified building, units, etc. for modders to reference... TheLadiesOgre is building a mod that will include it though.

Top Bottom