City self-destructed by itself.

I was wiping out an AI and when I captured his second to the last city, the last city just destroyed itself and he wiped himself off the face of the earth.

Very strange. What would cause this to happen?

-=Mark=-

I was wiping out an AI and when I captured his second to the last city, the last city just destroyed itself and he wiped himself off the face of the earth.

Very strange. What would cause this to happen?

-=Mark=-

Known bug - If you haven't yet, install Bhruic's Unofficial Patch. See the first sticky in this forum for more info.

MarkJohnson,

This is called the "worker capture bug" and is very well known and documented, just as Supr49er said. If you're interested in what causes it, read on:

Spoiler :
It is caused by an enemy having a worker in a ship docked in a city that you capture. When you capture the city, you don't capture the ship but you DO capture the worker. When an enemy ship is docked in port, and the city gets captured, it goes to the nearest port home city with all units in it...unfortunately this includes the worker you just captured. Yes, that's right, the enemy ship transports YOUR worker to another one of its cities. Next, because you have a unit in an enemy city, it counts as capturing the city. Viola, you capture two cities (or more!) at once.

lol - that's funny.

Too bad there isn't an espionage mission to accomplish this condition. hehe

-=Mark=-

Haha rofl at that **** up

weird, this happened to me last night and I was just thinking about posting a question on it. However, it was Hammurabi's second to last city, and as I only had "my" worker in the city and couldn't get troops there faster than two moves, he took it straight back so nothing really changed and I still had to take it legitimately.

Thanks for the answers.

^^And it would be extremely bad in terms of game balance: I still remember the days in Civ III where I waited for the AI to build a massive air power and then to take advantage that Civ III DOW do not expel your units out of the enemies territory to capture it... et voila : instant air force ;)

Yes, it's actually fairly easy to do if nothing concerning it has changed from Warlords to BTS, I made a mod/scenario for warlords in which ships, missiles and planes could be captured (ships at reduced health and movement until the new owner paid to fix them back up to shape)

That's interesting--I would more think that you capture like 3/4 of them but their health starts at 1/2... and do ships really get bounced to the next port? I could have sworn they're destroyed if you capture a city while they're in-port.

That's interesting--I would more think that you capture like 3/4 of them but their health starts at 1/2... and do ships really get bounced to the next port? I could have sworn they're destroyed if you capture a city while they're in-port.

Bob-san,

They get bounced.

Edit: The above information is incorrect (and I don't delete things.) See below for the correct information.

Bob-san,

They get bounced.

:hmm: no they get destroyed the problem is the worker - whose ship gets destroyed and he winds up in limbo - for one he suddenly has to enter a city which belongs to an enemy (you) so he gets bounced - but OTOH he was in the city square when it was captured so he gets captured - pretty much while in mid-air :crazyeye:

Bhruic put it best:

If you want the specific details...

What happens is there is a ship in the city with at least one worker on it. When you capture the city, normally what happens is any workers/settlers in the city are captured (settler is "captured" into a worker), and all other units in the city are destroyed. The bug is that the ship gets destroyed, which "bumps" the worker on board to the nearest city (of the Empire that used to own the city you just captured). But because the worker was in the city when you captured it, that worker still gets "captured" by you. This means you now have a worker sitting in an enemy city. Since having a unit in an enemy city is the "capture" condition, you immediately capture that new city.

And yes, you can actually "chain" capture this way. For giggles, I set up a test condition where I completely eliminated a 12 city Civ just by capturing a single city.

Bh

:hmm: no they get destroyed the problem is the worker - whose ship gets destroyed and he winds up in limbo - for one he suddenly has to enter a city which belongs to an enemy (you) so he gets bounced - but OTOH he was in the city square when it was captured so he gets captured - pretty much while in mid-air :crazyeye:

Bhruic put it best:

ori,

My bad. Thanks for setting me straight. :)

Top Bottom