City-State resource issues

Pythakoreas

Chef Tain
The AI isn't cheating at all, hm? ;)

When they settle a new city, they take account of all the resources available around it. Even without techs, they know which strategic resources hide in advance. What's really ridiculous is, they will avoid acquiring the tile with the strategic resource as much as possible, as I saw in my current game a Coal on a hill unclaimed by the Inca (Renaissance) but 6 adjacent tiles were. Same with Antiquity Sites, they often spawn on the borders but not inside so I can steal those away. :lol:

What's really ridiculous is, in Brave New World city-states are reported to have strategic resources available even if it's not in their borders. They have a maximum tile limit of 14(equivalent to a brand new Shoshone city I guess?), and usually they stop their expansion before mid-game. Due to some flawed coding they will try to get tiles without strategic resources they don't have the tech yet, and when they do discover Coal(usually happens with Coal), they have no way to get it. I had 2 CSs with supposed access to Coals, they didn't give me any and delayed my Ideology rush. I was the tech lead!!!!!!!!!:mad: I've seen this happen several times before this game.

Can anybody tell me what's wrong? Or do CS have a tile limit of 14?

Erm,

"in Brave New World city-states are reported to have strategic resources available even if it's not in their borders"

This isn't true. The CS UI screen says specifically resources nearby to the CS, not what's available to them.

"get tiles without strategic resources they don't have the tech yet"
"will avoid acquiring the tile with the strategic resource as much as possible"
Er, they haven't discovered the tech to get said strategic resource. For a city to get just some bland hill forest tile, that's like the last tile for them to get when they could get plains/grasslands.

No idea if they know strategic resource in advance. But they do seem to avoid building anything on antiquity sites. Regardless if they know them or not, if the tech isn't discovered, their cities won't go for such tiles.

^^Well thank you for correcting what I got wrong.

But it gets on my NERVES when city-states have Coal right next to their borders and won't get it for me.

No idea if they know strategic resource in advance. But they do seem to avoid building anything on antiquity sites. Regardless if they know them or not, if the tech isn't discovered, their cities won't go for such tiles.

Antiquity sites aren't determined at the start of the game, they're locations where early-game events take place, like places where barbarian camps spawned. Barbarian camps don't spawn inside territory owned by civs or city-states, ergo, you never end up with a city built on an antiquity site and the slower expansion rate of city-states means you see relatively few of them in side their borders (though it does happen).

Top Bottom