City State resource question

therottweiler

Chieftain
I am allied with Kiev.. I have Industrialization. They have Coal and built a mine and yet... they did not grant me that resource? Bug?

It's Industrialization that reveals coal.

This question gets posed pretty often. If the CS has already mined the tile, it won't provide the strategic resource (coal, aluminum or uranium) until the CS has researched that tech. If, however, the tile is not improved you can gift 200 gold to improve the tile. ("You want these dirty rocks? Can't imagine why, but OK.")

Its "Scientific Theory" which reveals coal! try and research that one.

It used to be 'Scientific Theory' - in BNW it's 'Industrialization'.

To the OP - it doesn't matter what you yourself have researched - the City State itseff has to research 'Industrialization' before it can gift you the coal. City States operate exactly the same as any other Civ (apart from the fact that they can't settle new cities) - this includes doing their own research and gaining the benefits - and resources - that come with new technology.

On the upside, if a CS researches a tech that reveals a resource before you research that tech yourself, they will still gift it to you if you are allied with them AND you will be able to use it too! This is particularly useful when a Civ researches 'Biology' before you do and you have researched 'Flight' as it means that you'll be able to build planes without even knowing what oil is!

Hope this helps. :)

Like the other posters have said, for resources it's the CS that needs to have researched said tech. So you'll have to search for other CSs that also have coal, but that's situated not on a hill. (Since City States most likely will have any hills mined already) Then once you find it, gift them the resource.

It's Industrialization that reveals coal.

This question gets posed pretty often. If the CS has already mined the tile, it won't provide the strategic resource (coal, aluminum or uranium) until the CS has researched that tech. If, however, the tile is not improved you can gift 200 gold to improve the tile. ("You want these dirty rocks? Can't imagine why, but OK.")

As always this board delivers. Thank you!

Top Bottom