City states Versus research agreements

lissenber

Warlord
Picture that you are playing Ghandi on a Huge Deity Earth map with 18 other civilizations and 28 city states. Limited income. You have to choose between culture from city states, bonus food from city states, extra units from city states and research pacts.

If you have to choose one of them (or a mixture), which one?

City states. Maritime first, then cultural. I'm doing a lot of beelining, so don't see the point of spending 200gp+ on a tech I have no control over, and that I may even want to bypass entirely.

Research agreements, and trade deals in general, are a bit buggy. The deal might not end when it is supposed to, giving you nothing for your investment. Need I say more?

generally i would go for the maritime CS's first. but iut depends on your map too, some maps i find my cities would take forever to grow if not for maritime CS. other maps seem to have more green tiles and so i may even go with a cultured CS. Dont underestimate the value of militaristic CS's though. they can end up giving you a ton of units. which all saves up those hammers for you, and we all know how long production times are in civ V.

Okay... turns out there are no maritime city states near me whatsoever. Just alot of militaristic and a few far-away cultural ones. And i am already at war with Alexander the great. I was going to spend my money on a militaristic city state right next to Him but it turned out it was absolutely undefended and hostile, too. So i just spend my money on spearmen and am currently trying to figure out the best way to survive my situation. I have 2 spearmen and 1 warrior in my city borders. Mostly I am using the 2 hill+forest tiles to defend myself. I should have a spearmen produced in that city in a few turns. However his archers and Greek Hoplite UU`s are a nuisance.

Maybe some of you guys could help me a bit.

I was going to post a screenshot in here but apparently I`m having trouble opening ingame-made screenshots. Uploading them produces an error message:cry:, atleast with tinypic. Help?

Okay... turns out there are no maritime city states near me whatsoever. Just alot of militaristic and a few far-away cultural ones. And i am already at war with Alexander the great. I was going to spend my money on a militaristic city state right next to Him but it turned out it was absolutely undefended and hostile, too. So i just spend my money on spearmen and am currently trying to figure out the best way to survive my situation. I have 2 spearmen and 1 warrior in my city borders. Mostly I am using the 2 hill+forest tiles to defend myself. I should have a spearmen produced in that city in a few turns. However his archers and Greek Hoplite UU`s are a nuisance.

Maybe some of you guys could help me a bit.

I was going to post a screenshot in here but apparently I`m having trouble opening ingame-made screenshots. Uploading them produces an error message:cry:, atleast with tinypic. Help?

You need an image editor or viewer that can handle images files in the .tga format. I would recommend using irfanview. I was able to get the images loading in that, and I could save them as jpeg (so they can be uploaded to image hosting websites).

Ah, thank you PieceOfMind.

Anyway i got the situation more or less under control by now. If any of you are wondering how crowded my game is then here`s a screenshot:

Spoiler :

For 19 players and 28 city states there`s surprisingly alot of room. I bet atleast 5 city states have been taken by the AI tho.

Anyway if i don`t have the option of investing into maritime states, what should i spend my money on?

I`ve never actually considered or tried taking city states. Do i get their city state bonus as if i were their ally or do they become like normal cities?

I`ve never actually considered or tried taking city states. Do i get their city state bonus as if i were their ally or do they become like normal cities?

Conquering them seems to just turn them into normal cities.

Top Bottom