Civ 3 Complete Installation trouble

andiyar

Chieftain
Just picked up a copy of Civ 3 complete and have run into some installation troubles - well, that and the jewel case is missing the serial code, but I've already emailed Aspyr about that. In terms of the installation, I'm trying to install on a new (Feb 2008) Macbook, running 10.5.3, and am then trying to apply the patch. I can copy the app/etc from the DVD to my HDD, but am then unable to apply the 1.22RevA patch, whether run from the DMG or run off my HDD. The patch simply hangs, saying "Installing... Openplay.rsrc" and doesn't move. And of course I can't run it in Rosetta, as the game is set to detect the processor.

I tried installing and patching it on an old G5 iMac and was able to at least launch the app (albeit not register due to my missing serial code). I've tried to copy that across via target disk mode, but the app starts bouncing in my dock on the Macbook and eventually stops.

The funny thing is, if I take the DVD out and then try to launch the app, it asks me to insert it. Also, launching the Play the World app asks for the serial key on the Macbook (which I'm still waiting for, as I mentioned), and doesn't just crash itself.

Any ideas here? I've opened a ticket on Aspyr's help system, but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask here as well :)

-Andiyar

Hi, welcome :wavey:

It sounds like you have already tried most of the things I would have suggested, right up to the "last resort" of contacting Aspyr support.

The only thought that occurs is that I believe you can still force the game to open in Rosetta by checking a box in the Get Info screen for the application. I'm not at home right now so I can't check this, though.

Hi Alan,

unfortunately, the game when attempted to be opened in Rosetta returns the same error as a non 1.22-patched game, namely that the processor is not a supported PPC architecture. Now, that said, I received a response from Aspyr - I'll post it here, as I wouldn't be suprised if this is happening to other people as well. :)

Aspyr Support said:
Thank you for choosing Civilization 3 Complete for the Mac. The patch is needed for the game to run on Intel Macs. Unfortunately, there has been a problem with patches from older games installing on Intel Macs with Leopard. There was apparently an Apple System Update that conflicted with certain older patches. We are currently trying to provide a fix for this issue that will be posted on our support page as soon as possible.

So hopefully, it'll happen before too long :)

-Andiyar

sorry for the bump- but has any progress been made with this problem? I have the same difficulty installing the patch revA

does anyone know if there is like a new version of the patch 1.22 so now we don't have a problem with leopard. Because I´ve been trying to install the patch, but i gets stuck saying "Installing... Openplay.rsrc". Please I'm desperate for some help!!!

We have no idea about whether Aspyr will issue bnew patches, but I would not recommend holding your breath.

Have you copied the installer from the disk image onto your hard disk, then run it from there? See other threads here concerning this.

There's another recent post in this forum where there is a link to a full copy of the rev A version of Civ3 Complete provided by Aspyr Support to overcome problems with the patch installer.

Hi, so I may have good news for all you out there trying to play civ3 complete on your intel imacs. I spent the better part of today trying to get this to work on my new 24"imac and almost gave up but thought I'd just try one more thing.
I found a link (I forget where) that led me to here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=6620038

What it is is a Civ III Rev A manual Install for those of us whose attempt to load the 1.22RevA patch failed when it got stuck in the installation process (Installing... Openplay.rsrc). I downloaded it, and when it finished and it opened up automatically. I followed the instructions and loaded the game and so far so good.

fyi the first time I tried to download and open this it wouldn't mount saying it was unrecognized but the second time it seems to have worked.

Have only just loaded it and played a few turns but seems to be ok.
Give it a try.

Hi, welcome. :wavey:

Please check the existing threads here. Aspyr released a new version of the Civ3 Complete application. It's on their support site here.

I have posted this URL several times since it was released and announced here, but people are still apparently unable to use this information!.

Hi, thank you

I had found that link earlier and had tried it and it wouldn't install so when I found this manual install that worked fine I wanted to let others know who may still be having trouble.

That link *is* to a manual install. It's just a replacement copy of the applicaiton file that you drag into the Civ3 Complete folder. A drag installation can't fail!

Top Bottom