Civ 3 Conquests not working in VMWare to receive games over the internet

Thomas Davie

Chieftain
Hello all. I'll give the background to what is probably a very small problem :) Basically, I gave away all my PC's and have purchased Macs because I could not stomach going to Vista. I purchased and set up Windows XP home on VMWare Fusion, and was able to install and get my PC version of Civ 3 Conquests working withut any problem.

iMac 2.66 w/ 2gb ram
320 gb hard drive

In other words, one of the alu iMacs released a few months ago. A copy of Windows XP with service pack 2, and the Civ 3 Complete series.

I installed Civ 3 complete on an 80 gb VMWare Fusion machine, and am able to play it solo or LAN (as a host ) with another WinXP machine no problem, But I can not act as host over the internet. I am behind a router, but have all ports forwarded properly, so I am a wee bit puzzled.

If anyone has any hints or pointers or things to try, I would gladly accept.

thanks

Tom

Moderator Action: Thread moved to the Civ3 Macintosh forum.

As a follow up, I thought I would post on the progress I've made so far.

1 LAN game with VMWare Fusion acting as a host, Win XP laptop joins. Works!
2 LAN game with Win XP laptop acting as a host, VMWare Fusion joins. Works!
3 Internet game with a Win XP system acting as host. VMWare Fusion joins Works!

4 Internet game with VMWare Fusion acting as host. Win XP system joins. Not working.

Obviously, I've got the ports on my router set correctly (and on that of my girlfriend's as well, and VMWare has no problems with it's networking. I've got the firewall in Leopard set to accept all connections, but I can't help thinking that something on the iMac is preventing an incoming UDP connection for DirectPlay. Anyone with an idea :)

thanks

Tom

(as an aside, Win XP running under VMWare Fusion is about 50% faster than running natively on my ex laptop, the only adjustment that I have to make is to run a custom profile under SMC Fan Control when gaming under Win XP)

You need to provide more information. How is VMWare's networking set up? There are three options - Connection sharing (NAT), Direct connect (Bridged), and Host only. If you are using NAT then VMWare's NAT needs to have the ports enabled. Bridged would be better, and more likely to work. If you are already using bridged networking then I don't have any suggestions.

You need to provide more information. How is VMWare's networking set up? There are three options - Connection sharing (NAT), Direct connect (Bridged), and Host only. If you are using NAT then VMWare's NAT needs to have the ports enabled. Bridged would be better, and more likely to work. If you are already using bridged networking then I don't have any suggestions.

Sorry for the delay in replying.

I am in fact using bridged networking, and am now running the 2.0 beta 1 version of Fusion. I'm not sure but I think that the problem might be with my router. I am using 3rd party firmware provinding high security, and despite my Mac being designated a DMZ, think that I might have to specify this for my virtual machine as well.

Additionally, I suspect that I might have to play around with my port forwardings. I will report back here upon further faiure or success.

thanks for the help.

Tom

Top Bottom