Civ-4 GOTM 01: Saves available

I just uploaded my finished game. There was a little misunderstanding and the save is from the turn before I lost. For some reason I thought I needed to save the turn before if I lost...but that's only really needed if it's a domination or conquest defeat. I didn't want to add another loss to my Hall of Fame in the game so I just selected "Turn before I was conquered" in the post form. Let me know if this is ok or not....

-teck

How to play Civ4... I have no idea! Played the American Revolution on Noble, read 1/2 the manual, that's it. Wooo-freakin'-hooo! See you at the bottom!

tecknogyk said:
I just uploaded my finished game. There was a little misunderstanding and the save is from the turn before I lost. For some reason I thought I needed to save the turn before if I lost...but that's only really needed if it's a domination or conquest defeat. I didn't want to add another loss to my Hall of Fame in the game so I just selected "Turn before I was conquered" in the post form. Let me know if this is ok or not....

-teck
Only conquest losers have to submit the turn before defeat, as you can't play on to the next turn.

If your save is from the turn before you lost, and you didn't lose by conquest, then I have no way of knowing how you lost without playing your last turn myself. (a) I don't have Civ4, and (b) I wouldn't like to have to load and play all the entries.

If you can play the extra turn and save it, please do and then re-submit that save. You'll only have one submission for this game as I'll eliminate duplicates.

I never played a gotm before until I downed this file yesterday. I played a couple of turns but then I was needed outside so I turned off my laptop.

I really want to play the game, but I didn't save yesterday, so I have a little knowledge of the map. Will my result still be allowed if I restart? Or will it receive a cheater-tag?

Bev, Check your autosaves. but in the future make sure you save before walking away.

@Bevertje: If it was just a couple of turns then try to replay them exactly as you did first time. First make sure your autosave option in the .ini file is set to save very turn, and as Tubby says, save before walking. It only takes a second.

If your save is from the turn before you lost, and you didn't lose by conquest, then I have no way of knowing how you lost without playing your last turn myself. (a) I don't have Civ4, and (b) I wouldn't like to have to load and play all the entries.

Yeah, I kind of figured the first part out as I said in my post. You answered my question though.... I was trying to avoid having the same game recorded twice in my hall of fame but I went ahead and played the last turn again and resubmitted my entry. I'll just chalk this one up to lesson learned for future GOTM entries...

-teck

Geez, got to give it a try. Doubt i will do any good, still developing my strat, but love a good challange. I assume by the concerns of advanced map knowledge that this is set up on a random map and not a terran accurate one?

You assume correctly. No reloading, no map pre-knowledge allowed.

Good luck.

My first GOTM and I had a weird occurance. I right-clicked on a rather large stack of units (my invasion force I was about to pre-position before declaring war) and selected them all. The moment I tried to move them, the system churned for a bit and crashed.

I restarted from latest autosave, which was one turn before the crash, and continued. Is that acceptable? I'm done with the game now and will be uploading the save right after this post, but I'm not sure if the autosave load is going to be an issue or not.

Oh, and as for how I did... well, at least I wasn't Dan Quayle... :)

The software is not as stable as we'd all like. Crashes happen, and that's one of the things autosave is there for. If it happens more than a couple of times in a game then I recommend you seek help.

Your submission will be fine as long as you make sure you have autosaves set for every turn so that you don't have to go back far, and don't exploit a crash by changing your decisions or actions when replaying the moves from the last save.

Sorry if this has already been answered, but I might have missed it. Does using the Blue Marble terrain count as using a mod or not? I wouldn't want to finish only to find that I couldn't submit the save file because of it:blush:

colony said:
Sorry if this has already been answered, but I might have missed it. Does using the Blue Marble terrain count as using a mod or not? I wouldn't want to finish only to find that I couldn't submit the save file because of it:blush:
Blue Marble is ok to use.

OK I'm new and I'd like to play but I have some questions
I have downloaded the file but it has no extension ,is this correct?
where do I register?

Edit: found the problem,I was able to download the file with the proper extension
also reading alan's post below helped

note :maybe for most it may be easy to navigate around but I am very green at this and finding my way around is a tad difficult,I hate spending hours surfing ,I know its my problem but wow! the treads can be very intimidating ,I almost said to hell with it all and deleted the game

thanks

Not sure if this has been asked or not because I'm not wading through 10 pages...but the submission has a field for "game score". The hall of fame inside the game has 2 different scores. You really should make it clear which one to use on the submission page because I'm sure people have been putting in different ones.

The label for that field actually says "Final Score", not "game score". That is why there is a sticky thread in this forum called "Important Announcement About Submissions". The first post says:

2. Some winning players are short changing themselves and quoting their score before the victory bonus is calculated.

[edit] I've been asked to clarify this: Please enter your Final Score - the one that includes your victory bonus - not your base score. [/edit]

I have now added "(including victory bonus)" to the field label.

Top Bottom