Civ-4 GOTM 01: Saves available

clut said:
I know you don't want to do this.. but try uninstalling the game, deleting the civ directories in 'program files' AND the one in 'my documents/my games' then re-boot, re-install civ, re-install patch and then try again.

I don't doubt that it worked for you, but it's not a guarantee of success. I've reinstalled the game that way 3 or 4 times since last night (I've lost count) and I still can't load the save.

I can't get it to work either. 2 complete uninstalls/reinstalls, deleting all files including the game directory, documents folder and cache, and it still gives me the 'this file is protected, mod folder etc.' message.

And I never even installed any mods in the first place. Something is very wrong somewhere.

Decided to give it a try and this is what I came up with.

I uninstalled CivIV and removed the Firaxis directory and the Sid Meir directory found in My Games. I restarted the computer and reinstalled CivIV. Once that was done I turned off my cable modem and shut down my Norton Internet Security/Personal Firewall. I than started CivIV.

Once the game came up I went to the screen that checked for updates. Before running it I turned the cable modem back on and updated. This time there were no errors when doing the update. Last time I had an error and chose to ignore it.

Once the patch was downloaded turned the cable modem back off and ran the patch. When that was done I downloaded the CivIV GOTM save and gave it a whirl. It ran perfectly.

Out of curiosity I reinstalled Eotinb’s autolog mod into CustomAssets and used textpad to edit the file to the settings I preferred. Once that was done I booted the game up again and attempted to load the GOTM save. It still worked perfectly.

Possible items that could have caused the initial problem:

Initial Error when running the Patch: The first time I ran the patch (prior to the above) I got an error. Eventually I clicked the Ignore error button and finished the upgrade. I wonder if this may have been the problem that was causing me to be unable to load the GOTM save. This time I didn’t have the error and I still have the autolog mod running and the GOTM save loads fine.

Norton Internet Security\Personal Firewall: I’m not for sure if this helped but figured it couldn’t hurt either. I turned it off this time and everything seemed to work.

Maybe later I’ll try to run Homegrown’s clock mod and see how it works with GOTM.

rather than un-install re-install everything I gave the idea about using a new windows account a try. Well no mods no scenarios, no custom assets should be just a Vanilla 1.09 patched version STILL no luck getting the Gotm save to work. :confused:

I swear if I knew what was modded I take it out. Apparently even after uninstall reinstall, clearing the caches, deleting the caches, re download patch somethings STILL not right? I'm really boggled.

Supreme Shogun said:
rather than un-install re-install everything I gave the idea about using a new windows account a try.

I tried that first but when I originally installed the game I allowed all users to have access. So when I opened up another account the game was already there.

At least I have it working now.

One thing I forgot about was downloading Rhye's Earth 18 civ map. I don't know if that would have affected it as I haven't reinstalled it. I don't think it would as its a mod/map.

I just installed Rhye's Earth 18 civ mod/map and the GOTM save loaded fine. I than installed Homegrown's clock mod and loaded the save and the game still loaded fine. This informs me that on my computer the mods were not causing the problem.

One more thing that I remembered is on this last install I set the game to only install for my username. My intention was if it still had problems I could create a new username and run a seperate version there, but luckily don't have too.

The main difference I see in allowing only my username is that there is no Firaxis directory in my programs directory. I don't know if this would make any difference but I found it rather odd. I don't see a reason I need to access that directory so I guess who really cares? Maybe later.

I finally got it to work. I wish I knew exactly why. I re-installed one more time, this time making the game available to only one user and also selecting the default installation path instead of putting the game on the drive where all my other games go. One or both of those things seemed to fix the problem (not that any of those two things should have caused a problem in the first place). I can now load the game.

I get the exact same issue as Redbad detailed with screenies a couple of pages back, I have the basic north american cd version installed and patched to 1.09. Have not done anything else. Help?

Come on, you mods. The weekend is nearly over, give us the not protected save so we can play too. Or do you really rather want your childish cheatprotection than that we play the game? The fact that I and others can't play now is not because of bugs firaxis made, or because of stupid things I may have done, but it's because alterations you've made to the save.

I play without ranking if you're that afraid of cheating.

ainwood said:
As a random thought (and its "out there" ) can someone please e-mail me a save that gives you the "Can't load" message? gotm@civfanatics.net

I have e mailed you the text file I downloaded as well as the file after I converted it. Hope it helps...:)

Regards.

thip said:
I have e mailed you the text file I downloaded as well as the file after I converted it. Hope it helps...:)

Regards.
Got it - thanks. It wasn't what I thought the problem might be. :(

@Redbad - we're looking at options. I don't think its fair to call it 'childish' - and some people have waited for a few weeks just to get Civ4 working on their PCs - surely you can wait a couple of days to get this gotm working?

Oh yes, I can wait a couple of days. It is just about pointing out that insisting on the cheatprotection comes at a price: spoiling some of the fun. And cheating is childish and so is the protection against it.

Well, I've confirmed that it wasn't my bypassing of Safedisk for my virtual drives. Shut them down and started up the game like normal with no sd4hide and still no go.

-teck

I have one computer that runs the save, one that doesn't. They are both using the one savefile I downloaded, so if it's the problem is the save I'll be shocked.

You'd best prepare for a shock then. The save with cheatprotection has higher demands towards the civ-installation then a not cheat-protected save. In some installations the demands are met and in others not. A not cheatprotected save will run in (nearly) all installations. Otherwise I'll be shocked.

Oh I totally believe that Redbad. I was actually refering to Ainwood's post where he was asking for broken saves.
As a random thought (and its "out there" ) can someone please e-mail me a save that gives you the "Can't load" message? gotm@civfanatics.net
I guess you have to try everything. Hope it gets worked out soon.

Top Bottom