Civ-4 GOTM 01: Saves available

MeteorPunch said:
I wonder if some peoples systems are not recognizing the file as a Civ4save correctly (those trying a full reinstall). Probably not though.

This is what happens to me

I click single player

I click load game

I click ok

I click ok

and then i can go on indefinitely

MerakSpielman said:
OK, I'm totally new at the GOTM thing.

So I'm supposed to load up the game, play it until I win or lose, and then what? Post my results somewhere? Attach a save game file to a post? Post a screenshot of my score? I have no idea...

You'll need to save the game after you've gotten the "play on?" question. Choose the option "lemme play one more turn" and save after that. You can then upload the save here.

Those having trouble loading the game... Are you using Direct2Drive, DVD, or CD? What localization if any?

I'm not using Direct2Drive...not even sure what that is. It's the CD version and I live in the US.

-teck

MerakSpielman said:
...OK, I'm totally new at the GOTM thing.

So I'm supposed to load up the game, play it until I win or lose, and then what?...
EDIT: Cross-Post.....a space oddity answered more concisely and succinctly! ;)

The Main Page on CFC will announce the GOTM Medal Winners a "few" weeks after the Submission Deadline. There will be a link to the FULL Results Page also. ;)

There is something else that may be needed information. I'm also running sd4hide to prevent the game borking on my virtual drives. I tried to test by shutting down my virtual drives but apparently I have to reboot my computer after shutting down my virtual drives. Which entered the realm of too much of a pain in the ass at the moment for me to mess with it. I need to get some sleep. If no one else has tested this by tomorrow then I'll test it out tomorrow to see if that is the problem on my machine. However, if I do find that it's a problem with me working around the dumb safedisk crap then I'll still bow out of participating in the GOTM. I'm not going to shut down my virtual drives just to play it..nor should I have to. ....I'll leave my overbearing copy protection scheme rant for another day and another thread...heh. :mad:

-teck

clut said:
by the way... do other people get this message when installing the patch...

Error 1706. No valid source could be found for product Sid Meier's Civilization 4. The Windows Installer cannot continue.

at first I was a little hacked off at this, but the patch continued running anyway and Civ reported being Version 1.09 when I next loaded it up.... so I assume it updated ok.

Hi Clut, yeah I got exactly this error, and like your installation, mine carried on and seemed to install successfully. So, I assumed it was some code or something that was written incorrectly and not tested, or something that didn't apply to my version or operating system.

But I am still get these crashes on initial load of a new game, and every so often when it hangs and then crashes (reboots) the PC. I wonder now if there's any connection between the two? :eek:

clut said:
WooHoo.. after doing this ...

it works and I can load the GOTM ok. :D

am sitting here looking at the opening screen, although I don't think I'll play it yet... am not fully prepared and I don't want to hash the first one up!!

I'm curious now, Clut - did you get the 'error 1706' message after the reinstall?

deadloss said:
I'm curious now, Clut - did you get the 'error 1706' message after the reinstall?

Deadloss, Yes, I recieved this message both times I installed the patch.

First time I installed the patch was Friday, and I couldn't open the GOTM when it was made available.

I un-installed. deleted the 'my games' folder in 'my documents' AND deleted the 'firaxis ...' folder in c:\program files. then re-booted. then installed the game, then installed the patch (where i DID get the 1706 error) and the GOTM worked fine after that.

note: the only thing in the 'my games' folder was Civ stuff. I don't know if anybody else has any other games that use this folder, so check before deleting it. If there are other thing in this folder, just delete the civ looking folders in here, not the actual 'my games' folder itself.

i really wonder, which circumstances lead to the protected game-message... i had no problem loading the save, running 1.09 english DVD-Version, with blue marble 1.02 installed. just because i was curious, i altered the civilizationiv.ini (i activated cheat codes by setting the chipotle-switch), and it still loaded without a problem...i wonder if this gets logged anywhere or if you can play the GOTM with cheats turned on?! :crazyeye:

It's sad that now even GOTM has issues. This game is obviously not stable yet. Every other post here will suggest why the game doesn't load. If you read the whole thread, you can really not tell what it is.

Maybe it's the fact that you ever changed xlm files, that prevents you from playing. That's just not right, but maybe all those measures are needed. yet, apparently the cheat option on is ok and game can be loaded. Well, poor ainwood has some headache now. Hope you can find the issue and make the game as you intended, fun for everyone.

I would love to play GOTM but I can't install the patch. I get the Civ 4 not found error and I have a store-bought version of the game.

OK, let's try to diagnose what file(s) are tripping the protection.

ONE person with the problem (that means refresh this page before uploading your results please) :D should do the following. You can put the output of the dir commands anywhere you want, I'm just old enough to show that when I really want to remember where I put them, I store them in the root. :lol:

1. Open a DOS window, if you can remember how to do that. :lol:
  2. CD to the directory where you installed Civ4
  3. run the command "dir /s >c:\progfiles.dirlbad.txt"
  4. CD to your "my games\sid meiers civilization 4" directory or whatever its called
  5. run the command "dir /s >c:\mygames.dirlbad.txt"
  6. zip the two files thus created, and upload the zip
I have performed this procedure on a good installation (using dirl as the middle of the names), here is the file. We're going to want to compare each of these txt files to the corresponding one from the "bad" case -- I have a tool installed called Beyond Compare which makes that easy.

Attachments

• gotm-good-dirl.zip
    123.9 KB · Views: 101
If you get the "civ4 not found" problem during patch installation near the end of the install, it probably worked OK. You can verify this by launching the game, and from the main menu go to Advanced, then About this build. The Civ Version: will say 109 if the patch is installed, and the game will probably crash if the install didn't actually work.

here goes: 1 bad unrunning Gotm. This is from a 2nd computer that cant run the game, btw. I have another computer that runs it fine.

tell me when you have it so I can remove this.

EDIT: removed.

MeteorPunch said:
here goes: 1 bad unrunning Gotm. This is from a 2nd computer that cant run the game, btw. I have another computer that runs it fine.

tell me when you have it so I can remove this.

Wow, that was fast... :)

I screwed up and forgot to ask it for a sorted dir list, so naturally everything miscompared. :blush: It's been a while since the last time I did one of these investigations.

Please repeat using "dir /s /on >filename". Sorry for the inconvenience of asking you to run it again.

DaveShack said:
Please repeat using "dir /s /on >filename". Sorry for the inconvenience of asking you to run it again.
can you be more specific? by "filename" do you mean the savefile? A entire scan like before, but on the actual savefile?

Dave, in case Meteor's files don't work out, here are my file lists.

This is a from a fresh install, no changes made to any of the settings or the .ini file, after I uninstalled the previous version and deleted any files left behind.

I'm still getting the mod warning when trying to load the save and i get kicked back to the main menu.

Edit: removed the attachment

Top Bottom