1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ 5: Civilizations/Leaders Wanted!

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Camikaze, Jul 26, 2011.

1. meowschwitz

meowschwitz Warlord

I don't like the UA for Vietnam. It's just not all that good. I think you should add in a boost like +1 culture for every 10 city defense strength. If you're worrying about city defense because you're being attacked, then you're trade routes are probably already plundered.

2. TPangolin

TPangolin Just the worst person

The UA isn't the main focal point of the civ, rather the Water Puppet theatre is (which is aimed at an actual incentive for picking Honor with benefits that rival Tradition).

I completely disagree with you regarding plundering. The bonus applies to all cities, so as long as you have a single trade route (say on a completely different front and they can all connect to the same civ, you will still receive the bonus).

3. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Oscillator

That's a bit overpowered, don't you think?

4. TPangolin

It's very late-game and it needs to be playtested - what do you think of the civs themselves though?

5. Teproc

Teproc King

Zimbabwe :

UA : Simple, cool, powerful. It would be cleaner without the added defense to the city, but that's fine.

UB : Seems good. I would maybe let it have the same base stats as the castle and remove the defense part of the UA ? Again, it just seems cleaner and simpler that way.

UU : Pretty cool. Powerful, but late-game enough that it shouldn't be oppressive. I'm assuming the flavor makes sense (don't know much about Zimbabwe) ?

Vietnam

UA: Cool.

UB : Not a fan of forcing a policy choice in the first place, but this is a civ that has a defensive UA, so Honor seems strange in that regard. I get that this is supposed to make Honor good by fixing what it lacks (food and culture) but I don't like that I would pretty much have to take Honor early when playing with Vietnam.

UU : Not sure how invisibility works in the game. Are you using the submarine template, which means you can see the unit if you're one tile away ? I like the Ideology thing a lot though.

Anangu Aboriginals

UA : Hard to evaluate without knowing what the Dream bonuses are.

UB : I love this. Still has the same output for borders than the monument, and though it has a lower pure culture output, you want to build it before your scout, which is unusual. Nice.

UU : No movement cost at all seems a little crazy if I understand it correctly, especially if t applies to desert hills and crossing rivers. Maybe doubling movement on desert would work better ? The NW thing is swingy but pretty sweet, pretty insane on TSL (Uluru of course, but GBR also). I like it but it's probably too strong as is, definitely nerf the desert thing

6. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Oscillator

I like Unique stuff that makes you play the game differently, as opposed to just a plain bonus. You're doing great in that regard. Just some balance tweaks and they're good to go.

7. meowschwitz

meowschwitz Warlord

To be fair, it's probably just my playstyle that looks at city defense as one of the most worthless things to boost.

I generally play immortal and I've always found Archers/Other units are a much better alternative than walls. I'd only build them if there was some other side benefit to these defensive buildings like India's UB. Still a small boost to actually encourage increasing city defense doesn't sound too horrible. And while it's all nice and good to encourage honor, I firmly think that should be done by making honor more appealing rather than pigeon-holing a civ into the same playstyle each game. The Water Puppet Theatre is useless if you don't go honor. That just isn't my cup of tea.

You truly make great civ mods that I'm thankful to be able to play, and the design is definitely unique, but I don't think I'd like the civ despite really wanting a good Vietnam mod. Keep making stuff though! You're Canada, Mexico, and Philippines mods are awesome and right up my alley.

8. TPangolin

I totally get where you are coming from. I just wanted to design a civ that had an actual incentive to pick Honor (since it rarely gets ANY love at all) and is defensive (so that you can focus on culture and growth). And yes, the Vietcong invisibilty will be similar to the EY MARINE!! submarine.

Regarding the Selous scouts - this is supposed to be the "Colonial" twist to the mod. It's supposed to represent and independent Rhodesia under the leadership of Ian Smith. Selous Scouts were renowned for defeating Guerilla armies and converting them to their side. For the upcoming Zapotecs civ we have a badass battle priest that can "WOLOLO" enemy adjacent units under 50% health and turns them into barbarians. Perhaps a cool bonus for the scout would be to say.. have a "convert adjacent enemy unit to your side under 50% health" 1 use ability?

Dreamtime bonuses are things pretty analogous to Religious beliefs.

9. Beefie

Beefie Warlord

This sounds pretty cool! is it a passive ability or is it an action like spread religion?
    If it's passive getting Heathen Conversion as the Zapotecs would make for a very interesting warring strategy:
    Army with battle priests attack, weakened enemies converted to barbarians by Battle Priest, barbarians converted to Zapotec units by Heathen conversion! Rinse and repeat until no other civs are left #ZapotecZombieArmy

10. TPangolin

Haha! That's amazing.

It wont be a passive ability though. Also - spoiler: Battle Priests are not acquired normally either. They spawn from Holy Sites every 20~30 turns!

11. Beefie

Beefie Warlord

Cool! Well at least the strategy would still be there, and making it active will just make it more epic when your Battle Priest wades into the heart of the enemy and straight up ruins their day!

On the spoiler (I think I remember this from your thread, this was the workaround for unique missionaries being a headache right?), does this mean each Holy Site has it's own counter for Battle Priests i.e each one spits out a battle priest every 20~30 turns, or that the more Holy Sites you have the shorter the turn timer?

Either way it sounds awesome!
    If I may suggest something, LastSword had an Olmec Civ UB of Colossal Heads which, along with other benefits, established a landmark within that city's workable range (which he has now changed). If it were possible, I think it would be cool to change your Pecogo building to something similar:

UB: Pecogo - Replaces walls. Creates a Holy Site within this city's borders. Requires +3 Maintenance.

I think it's fitting with a Pecogo being an altar, creates a lot of synergy between your UA,UU and UB and adds more incentive to fill out Piety as quickly as possible to have the holy site pay for the walls.

Anyway, keep up the good work! Really enjoying all the civs Colonial Legacies has released thus far, and I am really looking forward for those into the future (seriously, where the Inuit at!?!):lol:

12. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

Like, for example my Armenia that I posted in here a long time ago where mountain tiles gave them culture, production and defense.

13. TPangolin

Love it to bits. It's being slotted into the UB.

The Inuit will be done when Leugi says they are done :p

14. Teproc

Teproc King

So... when talking about the Inuit, our best course of action might be to.. tread lightly ? :mischief:

15. TPangolin

16. TPangolin

Made some slight changes to Vietnam (mainly adding in passive GGs):

Vietnam (Trung Sisters)
    Start Bias: Jungle
    Colours: Crimson/Jade
    Focus: Defense, Culture, Incentive to pick Honor
    UA: One Eternal Vietnam - Each outgoing Trade Route connecting with another civilization in the empire adds +5 :c5strength: Defensive Strength to all cities. :c5trade: City Connections to the Capital provide points towards Great Generals.
    UB: Water Puppet Theater (replaces Amphitheater) - Has one slot for a Great Work of Writing. +5% :c5culture: Culture and +5% :c5food: Food in this city for each Social Policy adopted in the Honor Tree.
    UU: Vietcong (replaces Infantry) - Gains invisibility in jungles and a +25% :c5strength: Defensive Combat Bonus when fighting against a civ with a different ideology.

It's either that or adding in a culture/GG bonus for every x amount of Defensive strength a city has.

17. meowschwitz

meowschwitz Warlord

The extra great general approach is nice to further encourage honor. I've already stated how I feel about the building but this makes them feel a little more natural.

It's like Byzantium's UA to me, where you have to specifically rush one strategy to really gain anything from it. It's part of the reason that they are so poorly thought of for many high level players. Now this Vietnam wouldn't be bad; and the novelty of having two leaders would probably be worth the download anyway, but would still make playing more than one game as them feel repetitive. Though at this point in time where I have 1000+ hours played, most everything feels repetitive.

Just giving the theater something like +1 happiness if city is next to fresh water would be enough to make me feel like It wouldn't be useless if I was entirely isolated and still went honor for the boost or something.

Then again, you don't want to just start throwing boosts all over the design. Even if I don't personally like the ideas behind it, throwing more text at each set of bonuses isn't really that much better.

I'd say go with what you want as it's your mod, and most people aren't going to have the issues that some minor poster on a forum like I do have and will love and appreciate it.

18. TPangolin

How about the cultural equivalent of Korea? You could go straight into Aesthetics after your opening tree as you would with any other civ. This setup basically encourages you to get as much culture as possible to get defensive strength and vice versa. Gotta love a culture turtle.

Vietnam (Trung Sisters)
    Start Bias: Jungle
    Colours: Crimson/Jade
    Focus: Defense, Culture, Incentive to pick Honor
    UA: One Eternal Vietnam - Defensive structures within a city increases the spawn rate of :c5greatperson: Great Writers, Artists and Musicians. Receive +5% :c5culture: Culture and +5% :c5food: Food in each city for each Social Policy adopted in the Honor Tree.
    UB: Water Puppet Theater (replaces Amphitheater) - Has a slot for one Great Work of Writing and one Great Work of Music. More expensive than the Amphitheater that it replaces, Great Works contained within a city Water Puppet Theater increases a city's :c5strength: Defensive Strength by 5.
    UU: Vietcong (replaces Infantry) - Gains invisibility in jungles and a +25% :c5strength: Defensive Combat Bonus when fighting against a civ with a different ideology.

19. jlim201

jlim201 King

Australia (Aboriginal)

Start Bias- Coast/Plains

UA- Arts of the Ancients

50% more culture from Artifacts. Great Works created before the Renaissance give double Culture.

UU- Boomerang Thrower- Replaces the Composite Bowman. -3 melee strength. May attack twice, does not retain after upgrade. When standing on a trapping resource, the tile acts like an improved one.

UB- Wiltja- Replaces the Granary. +2 production, +2 food added to Granary's current benefit, but no added food from nearby resources.

20. phaethon16

phaethon16 King

Khmer
    UA: Workers may build shrines and temples as tile improvements.
    UI: Wat. May not be built adjacent to a city. Produces +:c5faith:, and each surrounding shrine and temple produces +:c5production: and +:c5science:.
    UU: Bokator Master. Replaces pikeman. Has no bonus against cavalry, but has a 25% combat bonus against melee and another 50% combat bonus when within two tiles of a religious building or UI. The promotion carries on after upgrades.