1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ 5 Confirmed Features

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by bite, Feb 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. techathon

techathon Member

I think he meant Mesopotamian

2. LegioCorvus

LegioCorvus Prince

Earliest recorded history of Stockholm is 1252... 200+ years after the Vikings. The closest Viking city of similar location was Agnafit, and even then it was a fishing village.

More to the point, Venice is in the game, as well as Florence, a city founded by none other than Julius Caesar himself. Yet, Rome is in the game.

We'll have to wait and see, but I'm still willing to bet on the Vikings.

3. Ddude97

Ddude97 King

Forogt about Egypt, thanks :)

4. The MODERN Egyptians are middle eastern not the ancient Egyptians though.

5. The Almighty dF

The Almighty dF Pharaoh

I forgot that ancient Egypt was in fact in the mid-atlantic region.

6. CTH

CTH Prince

I just looked in PC Gamer May edition and saw a picture (painting) of the great library in alexandria in their civ5 article (a very short article, nothing new as far as I could tell, said among other things that the AI will tell you if he gets angry if you put cities close to his border) So I guess that the great library is a confirmed wonder?

7. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

Alright I'll bet ya!
    I'll bet you for an imaginary kick on the butt, how about that?
    Wait... I probably agree...
    Oh I'll bet you anyway :D

8. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

If all things were weighted evenly there'd be more middle eastern civs than European ones.

9. jahg84

jahg84 Chieftain

Yes, I meant Mesopotamian. Mesopotamia was the center and then a center of civilization from the beginning of civilization to centuries after the Arabic conquest. The Persians are a good civ to represent this as they and their successors -the Parthians and Sassanids controlled the region for about a millennium with Greece and Rome each getting about a century of control. Persia is significant because it had famous interactions with Greece, Rome and conquered Egypt.
    By later I meant after the Bronze age collapse around 1000 BC. Egypt is the only civilization/leader represented from before that time and I suspect that is only because the Pyramids are a civilization classic. Egypt has never really regained the great power status it had before the Bronze age collapse, indeed it has usually not even been independent since then.

I'm hoping one day for a version of civ that takes into account all these dark ages that give rise to new civilizations, replacing the old ones. Sort of Civilization meets the board game History of the World. That would make multiplayer different and allow drastic events like civil wars and major earthquakes without ruining the game.

10. LegioCorvus

LegioCorvus Prince

Imaginary kick in the butt gentleman's bet it is! :goodjob:

Y'know, some Persians would be offended that you implied that they're Mesopotamian, and by extension Arabian, from your comment. They can be very different regions culturally and geographically.

Besides, Arabia is already confirmed for Civ5, and that's enough representation for the vanilla game. Naturally, there will probably add Babylon & Sumeria in the expansion packs, both of which could not be more Mesopotamian.

I highly recommend you read the book Guns, Germs, & Steel by Richard Diamond. Mesopotamia is not the only center of civilization in the world, though it is certainly the most recognized and widely discussed. There are whole cultural/organizational/agricultural systems that started in many parts of the world that contributed to "civilization" today, of which 2 of the other most prominent ones, China & Egypt, are also present in the game.

11. Runo245

Runo245 Chieftain

Maybe someone has already brought this up and you've responded to it, but I don't believe religion has been completely removed. This Site, the one talking about dual core processors, says that "Religion, one of the biggest features introduced in Civ4, will be reworked to fit into the new gameplay style." It'll still be there, we just don't know how yet.

12. jahg84

jahg84 Chieftain

True. I figured the actual Mesopotamian civilizations were out for various reasons. Too obscure, too early and not stably unified. Speaking of which I'm not sure even today that Mesopotomians would appreciate being lumped together. I expect we'll see a Babylon and maybe an Uruk among the city states.

Right. Scratch 'the center'.

13. David7

David7 Chieftain

"Reworked" could just mean "shunted off to the side" though. For example, religion was in Civ Rev as just a technology.

14. Ddude97

Ddude97 King

Yeah, I'm not optimistic about the fate of religion. :(

15. The Almighty dF

The Almighty dF Pharaoh

Honestly, I have a feeling many of us would be more optimistic if it hadn't been for Revolution, which was basically Civilization: For Kids.
    Lot of worrying over if Civ5 will be as dumbed down as CivRev was.

It's like Metallica.
    Metallica did a bunch of great albums, then they did St Anger. So many fans decided to skip over the album, assuming that it'd be like their last album.
    With both, the previous entries were great (You can't hate Civ1-4, though you can hate Metallica's Load & Reload, I guess), it's just one really sour entry ruined perception.

16. Ddude97

Ddude97 King

True, very true, and I don't even own Revolution :lol:
    (Although I've played it a few times)

17. timtofly

timtofly One Day

According to the latest Russian Interview:

Air units are in a different layer and can be stacked. Land and Navel units are bound by the 1UPT.

18. Can has link?

19. Ddude97

Ddude97 King

Would help with incresing the influence of air power...
    Me,myself,and,I is right, we need a link to confirm for bite

20. ori

ori Repair Guy Super Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.