1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ 5 expansion and latter games = way less sales

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Stalingrad, Oct 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JanissaryRush

JanissaryRush Warlord

People are way more likely to tell of a bad experience and opinion of something then a good one.

The company hasn't lost the very dissatisfied customers who bought the game. It is only when an expansion comes out that they give a verdict. If an expansion comes out that fixes peoples problems I expect that all big civ fans here will buy it.

2. Nefelia

Nefelia Prince

The real problems with the game (poor tactical AI & a few exploits) should hopefully be fixed in a patch relatively soon. Most of the other complaints are of little concern.

3. falconne

falconne meep

If I order a steak and get served a cheeseburger, then complaining about it does not make me "resistant to change". Civ 4 is not so old we've forgotten what it's like to play it, we aren't remembering it with "nostaligia".

It's a line that's being brought out automatically by the fans, that Civ 4 had the same problems on release. But we were here, and it didn't. It had technical issues on release. Broken code can be fixed in a few patches. This game has broken gameplay (there's too little to do, it's boring and too easy) and needs 2 or more expansions.

4. MasterDinadan

MasterDinadan Warlord

If you want to play Civ 4, play Civ 4.
    I bought Civ 5 expecting a new game, not Civ 4 with better graphics.

Whether it's better or not is a matter of opinion. Don't try to present as a fact that Civ 4 is a better game. That's your opinion. There's nothing wrong with it. But there's nothing wrong with mine either.

5. troytheface

troytheface Deity

People, we live in a world where money is the driving force behind everything we do.

lol- it is? Freud might disagree

Civ 5 is a dissapiointment over and over i guarantee you Firaxis has LOST my business if any civ comes out of this design team, and if any expansions come out i guarantee you i wont buy it unless i see perfect scores on every review site thats not being paid off (everyone but ign and gamespot).

lol- perfect score? there are things out there that are perfect? A perfect score to me would be from someone that lies or is daft

Another review with a young white guy reviewing. Seems like it would be more diverse if they had like a gal review or something

thanks for the laugh tho- but here's a tip- the series has continued for quite awhile,
    i suggest it may be due to getting new players- i would assume that as we age many stop gaming as much -if at all-
    i also suggest that those that played civ 4 and liked it slowly left anywho as the years went by

but here are some comments of that review -

"Perhaps this is Civ for my son's generation (he is 18) not mine."

"I was worried when I saw this review initially, but then I realized you're the guy who did not like Deus Ex"

(that was a great game)

6. Nutteria

Nutteria Tzar

Does anyone have the statistics of how many boxes 2k sold so far?

And to extend on that - how many were the boxes that were set as a target?

And to extend on that - with the game so far what is the official statement reguarding the issues displayed by the community.

You don`t have any answers to those simple 3 questions. Doom preaching is..well just that.It has no ground and imo it is borderline trolling.

7. Ayt

Ayt Warlord

8. jihe

jihe Prince

Look forward to Attacko's strategies for civ5.

9. Stalingrad

Stalingrad Chieftain

I want to point out this reviewer in the OP is not the review and feelings of everyone on this thread, this forum. SOme people really like this game because its something new, others dislike this game because they feel too much was taken out for the sake of "change." And I'm not saying anyone is right here, but based off my observations, my interpretations of all the many people on this forum and on the 2k games forum that express dissatisfaction and dissapointment in the game that doesn't parralel to the other previous civ games on their opening day. This gave me the common sense and those of you who agree that based of the many people who show they are no satsified and feel as if this civ 5 doesn't deliever. Will most likely NOT BUY the expansions or DLC content that costs money. Why you might add? Because common sense is if you got cheated once shame on you, if you get cheated twice by the same person shame on me. That is how I and im sure many people on this forum feel, now I will look for the patches and maybe evne mods for this game that hopefully teh modding community can save this game, anything that doesnt require anything to purchase I will gladly look at and even download to improve my joy of this 50 dollar investment. Yet any expansion, anything requiring money for me to purchse from this development team that is designed to enhance this already not enchanced game that many of us expected, I will be wary now of this dev team and I'm sure those that do feel cheated are going to be wary too which = less sales. This is my assumption of what will happen you can agree or disagree, it is not a statistical reference I have its purely speculation.

And oh yea the OP that i put with the review site OMG that guy read my MINDDDD about this game! I hope he reviews the expansion of this game when it comes out if he gives a crappy review i will definitly consider not buying it (i already pretty much considered i wont as of now)

10. teccuk

teccuk Lurker Extrordinaire

Woah...

What's all this?

I think Civ 5 is pretty damn spiffing actually.

Bit buggy mind. But then PC games tend to be for a bit after release :crazyeye:

11. Thrallia

Thrallia Prodigal Staffer GOTM Staff

wow...another thread claiming that there's only one reviewer who was not paid off by 2K? seriously?

I honestly don't trust much of anything 1up.com says anymore, now that they're owned by UGO. All their best people left when that happened anyway.

Regardless, most of those sites that gave Civ V a great review were not paid off by 2K...and even if the majority were, there are still some smaller indie sites that were not(my site is one example) and still gave it good reviews.

I swear, I must have gotten a different version of the game than all of you, as I'm finding it to be great fun, with very few bugs(only had one so far in almost 100 hours of playing the game), and a decent AI(not any worse than the pre-BTS Civ IV AI, at any rate)

edit: and, crazy enough...I'm pretty sure I said that exact same thing 5 years ago when Civ IV was released too.

12. WuphonsReach

WuphonsReach Prince

Sales rank #19 over on Amazon under video games.

It's also getting slammed pretty hard in the Amazon user reviews.

13. Tarkhan

Tarkhan King

I think the biggest flaw is that the logic in the first post ignores the thousands of unrepresented Civ customers, who don't read fansites.

I know at least ten people who own the game and are not active on any Civ fansites. All but one enjoy the game. Ten is not any more of a general consensus than the active posters of this forum are, but it shows that you can get a skewed idea of people's enjoyment of the game by only reading the forums.

14. Lillefix

Lillefix I'm serious. You can.

There is one thing in particular they should have made clearer imho. On some non-civilization forums, I've seen people who say they can't install the game and that they get an error message that something called "steam" isn't installed. I haven't tried to install it without having steam in the background, but if you only get a simpler error message, I think that's bad. How difficult can it be to explain what steam is, how to install it and why you need it, in the error box?

15. Froptus

Froptus Chieftain

Firaxis has simply done what all the other game companies are doing these days. Release a bare-bones, vanilla game and then add in most of the content later in the form of expansion packs. It just seems to be the way of gaming companies these days.

At least Firaxis made the game highly moddable. Modders will turn Civ 5 into a great, complex game.

16. Palfouri

Palfouri Chieftain

This is what people mean when they point out whiner's selective memories, because Civ IV did the exact same thing.

17. dragomaster

dragomaster Warlord

i uninstald and sold the game today. sutch a loosy game, will start to play civ 4 BTS again.

18. dragomaster

dragomaster Warlord

Hey hey hey, wait a minute. It's clearly that Civ IV was an unpolished diamond when released; you had the civics and the building plan already there, now it's a big diffrence. Civ V need to CHANGE the system not polish it to gain the same depth Civ IV have.

19. Palfouri

Palfouri Chieftain

By change I assume you mean get rid of all the new features, take back all of Civ IV's features, and rename it Civ V: Beyond the Sword. Because obviously the game is ruined forever and no amount of refining the new, untested features will ever fix it because the game isn't enough like Civ IV, and we should all give up, pretend the game never happened, and never try anything new again because it's just not enough like BtS.

20. Ayt

Ayt Warlord

You really had to post another "quit whining because it isn't Civ4 post"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.