1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ 5 expansion and latter games = way less sales

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Stalingrad, Oct 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brento1138

brento1138 O' Mighty CivII Warrior

I was thinking the same thing. It's as if Civ 5 is a sequel more to Civ 3 and Civ 4 was more of a sequel to Civ 2.

2. Nog

Nog Warlord

Never heard of 1up.

Is it like a blog where we can submit reviews?

3. Zen Blade

Zen Blade Warlord

I think this review does a fair job.

The whole "lush graphics", okay game play is the true travesty... they spent so much time on the art/graphics, and yet the game play is really not up to par.

4. Ayt

Ayt Warlord

1up is one of the bigger sites out there.

5. Venereus

Venereus This Is Streamlined!

Right, we are all happily holding hands, enjoying the AI. WTF?:crazyeye:

6. Palfouri

Palfouri Chieftain

Pretty much this. The fact that apparently no one remembers that Civ IV was about as bug-filled and messy on release stands testament to this.

It's a good thing these customers are lost, because they're the ones that ultimately ruin series by demanding everything stay the exact same, because everything else is "dumbing it down".

7. Ayt

Ayt Warlord

Palfouri, it is never a good thing when a company loses long time customers.

8. Doctor Phibes

Doctor Phibes Prince

Fine review, sums up my misgivings. In some places I feel he was almost being too kind - I think the diplomacy system is completely broken, for example. Yes, perhaps these things can be fixed up without a complete refactor. I certainly hope so, because otherwise I will soon be with the OP, right back to Civ4 (or Civ3 or SMAX, come to that). Still playing on for now, though.

9. baberg

baberg Chieftain

Sure it is, if there are enough new customers come on board. It's all just a numbers game.

10. Ayt

Ayt Warlord

A smart company would retain old customers and create new ones.

You are right that it is a numbers game, but we don't know what kind of effect 5 will have. Who knows where this franchise will be in the future.

11. Drago Askani

Drago Askani Warlord

Fact of the matter is this happens every time a new civ game is released. This is NOTHING NEW! It happened with Civ 4, it will happen with Civ 6. Alot of people will complain just to complain. Again thats nothing new, simple stupid human nature.

12. MadMaligor

MadMaligor Chieftain

Ayt, while your right, loosing customers is rarely if ever a good thing, its still an inevitability with any sequal.

Civ fanatics (the gamers not this site) are the best asset game designers have, are the hardest crowd to please, and are the loudest and most viral as far as forums go. Pretty much everyone else is playing the game and not here waxing poetic like many of us are.

As far as I am concerned, Civ V is...well...fun. Buggy, in need of patching and rebalancing, and desperately in search of good modders and an expansion pack coming to a theater near you....almost certainly.

But I certainly am not going back to the same old squares, pathetic diplomacy/vassal states, and stacks of doom anytime soon.

I have been playing since day one, but I am still just one old dude with an opinion though, and its not any more or less valid than yours. =)

13. logintime

logintime Warlord

Yes, a lot of people do, and sometimes they are wrong. (I'm looking at you, people who complain about each WoW expansion!) But sometimes they are right. I don't think the people griping about all of Final Fantasy XIV's problems are complaining for the sake of complaining. They are upset because they purchased a game that is largely broken, unfinished, and unfun.

The point being, just because people complain doesn't mean they are right or wrong. It's the substance of their complaints that makes the difference. I tend to think there have been substantive enough complaints that, at the very least, Civ V can be considered quite flawed. But your mileage might vary.

14. gonzo562

gonzo562 Chieftain

well i plan to buy the expansions i enjoy this game :)

15. Venereus

Venereus This Is Streamlined!

Funny, some people plan to buy the expansion in order to enjoy the game.

16. TLF

TLF Prince

Sorry, I have to say it.
    The terrain may look good, but graphics means the entirety of the graphics.

It is difficult to see the units in much of the terrain.

Don't tell me about the icons. The player shouldn't have to look at icons to tell which unit is right there under that icon.

It's bad Graphic design. Now good the terrain looks is besides the point.
    You play the game. It's not a landscape to look at. The current state of the graphics makes it more difficult to play the game.

The simple fact that they had to add the icons should make this clear.

17. the343danny

the343danny Emperor

Civ 4 is just overrated. Get over it, and go to the Civ 4 forums if you want. I, along with the many others, are quite tired of people hating Civ 5, while they fail to realize that Civ 4 isnt any more complex than Civ 5, and it hasnt been "dumbed down", just because there certain things are missing in the UI.

Yeah, I agree Civ 5 could use a nice bit of refining, but to fix Civ 4 to my liking they would need to change the core game itself. Even with the LoR mod it was definitely lacking. Civ 5 has issues with AI and bad UI and some scaling issues, not issues of Civ 4 that would make Civ 4 an entire new game if it were fixed.

18. insaneweasel

insaneweasel Prince

At least a rushed pile of crap is more honest than a super-delayed pile of crap (*cough* Zelda Twilight Princess*cough*)

19. lou4gehrig

lou4gehrig Chieftain

I stopped reading after this point. You are not "most people" nor do you speak for them. "Most people" are busy playing the game and not make judgments on behalf of the gaming community.

20. Jolly Rogerer

Jolly Rogerer Prince

It has an impact. I loved Civ1 and Civ2 and played them to death. I bought Civ3 soon after it was released (big mistake) and put it away in disgust and didn't even look at another Civ game until a buddy of mine recommended BtS. I bought that for real cheap and don't regret it. As the release of Civ5 is reminding me so much of Civ3, I'm going to refrain from buying it for a good long time, perhaps never depending on how much love it gets from the community after it is patched and sequeled. I'll never pay full price for it, that's just insult to un-patched injury.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.