[CIV 5 Issues] - The complete list

Why was 'the complete list' complete as of Sept 30 posted on 2K forums, while ignoring all the new stuff that came up since?

Seemed rushed.

probably because this post hasn't been updated since Sept. 30. I guess no one took the thread over as the OP said something about not having anymore time.

1. Cannot seem to push build wealth up a build queue.
2. Cannot purchase buildings already in production, even if sufficient gold is available.
3. Cannot gift workers to city state

The desktop shortcut icon loads a window that lets you select between running Civ 5 with DX9 or DX10/11, and if you right-click on that window then it lets you create a shortcut for a specific mode, DX9 or DX11, but if you create a shortcut for DX9 or DX11, the created shortcut loads the same window as the first shortcut!

* You should be able to tell combat Percentages with another unit before starting a war.

I disagree with this. I like that you can't tell how a battle will turn out before you declare war.... you need to be sure you can win before you start and it adds a little bit of thrill to war.

Basic movement. I have one worker unit which is hogging a tile, which is the only passable tile to get to another city (big mountain to the left followed by water to the left of that) so no other workers can get by this worker until he's moved out of the way - either that or by the time they can embark they get munched by babarian ships. Replace this scenario with military units which are healing etc, have to move them to heal somewhere else so units can get by - so bloody annoying having to spend so much time just moving things for the sake of allowing things to move past them, it's fundamentally broke the game for me. I don't mind the idea of not stacking units as much but they should let 2 units of the same type share the same tile if it's not a city (even cap it at 2 at most!) - and they cant attack when sharing the same tile.
I agree with everthing you said, but with a greater degree of disappointment. On not stacking and movement: It is entirely unrealistic as is. If a city is only a mile wide, it will house many more than one unit of men, be that 300 hundred or 30 thousand. Perhaps 60 thousand men couldn't be organized in such a space to fight, but they could be stacked up behind the front line guys ready to replace them. The compromise that they have chosen is out of scale the other way from unlimited stacking. If you are not going for realism, but for fun, as the quote below points out, this traffic cop function we are forced tó perform is quite boring and stacking adds more fights in more exciting battles.

Production does take ages, I see a bit of land in the sea I want to build a city on, by the time I build the settler, the unit I want to protect it plus maybe a tireme to get rid of the barbarians (the tireme takes about 5 or 6 turns to finally kill 1 offending ship) you are talking maybe an hour's worth of gameplay. I have to dedicate a fricken hour to stick a settler on an island not far from my mainland.

In order to make the game playable, as in fast enough speed to keep my interest and not make me feel like tearing my hair out, I have to reduce city states to a minimum (I suspect the code treats them like individual empires which hogs time-turning time), I have to DISABLE barbarians, because having units plus ships as protection takes an eternity when trying to move anywhere out of your comfort zone, and I have to play in a smaller than huge map - which quickens time-turning time significantly for some reason.

I've got an intel quad core 2.5ghz processor with 4gb of ram and a very decent graphics card - so I'm not exactly on the lower end of the computer power spectrum either.
Again I couldn't agree more and I have the latest 6 core AMD with 8 meg of memory running Windows Ultimate. The game is slow and boring while being no closer to reality.

I was so looking forward to this game, I mean I've been googling Civ 5 for 2 years now trying to get some information. Unfortunately it feels as if a completely new development team with no access to the code of Civ 4 built this from scratch. Apart from that it is apparent it's a rush job, when they announced the game in April and were releasing it in September I did think that was a bit quick but I didn't care as I was eager to get my hands on it. I now really wish they would have took an extra year and did it properly.

They tried to re-invent the wheel rather than improve it - and failed, in my opinion. As for marketing, however, they may have improved it for the more simple-minded action game players.

And they took out espionage entirely when I think it should have been upgraded to include false flag operations and other skullduggery like manipulating elections.

I started with CIV2 or CIV1, I can't remember it has been so long - I had a decade lapse in playing. My girlfriend likes CIV3 the best, but it has gotten boring. CIV4 has great features, but I like the more decisive benefits that you win in CIV3 - the Pyramids giving a granery in every city or Hadrians wall giving a city wall for instance. I really like Road to War and wish he would have kept improving it expanding to other theaters and wars. There's no reason you can't have smaller units like CIV5 has, but the scale has to be greater so they fit. Avalon Hill limts stacking to 3 units. I also think it depends on the type. Archers can stand close together behind ground troups, firing to protect them as they charge. Scale will always be the problem. There is no realistic solution for combining battles and civilization scale landscapes that would be fun, or even doable.
I give CIV5 low ratings with little hope they will improve it sufficiently for me. They would have been spent their money better by improving and expanding CIV4
BTW: 3 million plus sold of CIV4. 8 million for the franchise as of 2008. It is a respectable finish where 8 million for Myst was the tops in adventure/stradegy games, 40 million for SuperMario Brothers, 66 million for Grand Theft Auto - well, it is easier to steal a car than build an empire. Perhaps the current dumbing down is smart for them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games#Top_PC_sellers_by_genre

* Notification log: remove all the "right-click to dismiss" parts of messages (another player destroyed city state, city state requests ..., you have enough culture for a policy)

* Notification log: Message "<city> is ready for a new construction" is useless in a log without saying what it just finished building.

* Notification log: Message "<city> now has <x> citizens." is enough. No need to clarify in the log that a citizen helps to work more tiles.

* Notification about a Great Person being born: Add which type of Great Person!

* Notification about a unit can been promote: Add which unit type.

I can't seem to get private game function to work in MP ... is that just me?

With private game checked, my buddy can't see the game in the lobby. I would have expected private game to let me set a password, but that is not what happens.

Also, any hope we get direct IP connections back? Can there be pitboss without that? Does direct IP access violate some 2K contract with Steam? Because it seems to me that pitboss multiplayer could solve a lot of the issues with Civ 5 ... solves the dumb AI issue, and should solve the blob/blanket/carpet of doom problem.

dV

> Remove red dots from tiles

> Increase zoom rate (graphics are fine, we should be able to zoom in more, but also zoom out to see globe)

> when you bring many units close to AI border, they tell you to remove the army from there or declare war; human players should have this option in diplomacy too

> add trade routes between cities (not only between a city and capital)

> add foreign trade routes

> add Airport building to be able to make trade routes between 2 cities on different continents, even if one of them it's not connected to a coastal city

> reduce the cost to maintain units

> make railroad increase gold output of cities too, not only production (because the cost to maintain a large railroad network it's huge)

Notifications for rival units healing (the "+1's" that appears on the map) happens on fogged tiles that you can't see into. This shouldn't happen.

I wasn't here when it debuted. Was Civ4 this big of a meltdown in its initial release?

* You should be able to tell combat Percentages with another unit before starting a war.

I disagree with this. I like that you can't tell how a battle will turn out before you declare war.... you need to be sure you can win before you start and it adds a little bit of thrill to war.

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."

Just a little reminder.:p

I wasn't here when it debuted. Was Civ4 this big of a meltdown in its initial release?
There were problems, but arguably not as bad. The main issues were severe memory leaks and graphics glitches that made some games unplayable (similar issues in Civ5). What was different, though, was that a lot of the core gameplay mechanics were mostly in place and semi-balanced in Civ4. The same is not true of Civ5.

- Saved games don't show up when you play a Mod..

PS is it possible to get a Mod to take over this thread? or have someone else put in charge to update it ?

I traded Iron with Russia for 20 Rounds and Horses for 45 Rounds in the same trade ...

After i got my Iron back it became more and more every Round .. in the End i had 104 Units of Iron. Game came to an End there, cause i lost, so i can not confirm, if it ended ...

I have noticed that in C4 the borders expand rapidly which is great but not in C5, it takes ages and the ai also takes ages to expand and settle new cities and when they do its in the most arb places.
Id really like to have an World War 2 Mod, with the entire planet, an extra extra huge map that would be awesome :D
Also the time is really annoying, when i play i want to play for months on end, why, cause i want to, but the build times on marathon are way too epic, speeding up the building like it was possible in C3 would be nice and lengthening the turns like 5000bc to 4995bc to 4990bc ..... would lengthen the game, this means the research would be needed to adjusted to compensate for it, but id really like to play a game like that tbh

Yeah in CIV4 lower speeds ment slower progress not slower everything, everyone preffered slower speeds because of the more tactical aproach of having more units and not having them absolete turns before you reach your enemy, in CIV5 on the other hand the speed will slow everything down and will force the player into more turns of nothingness.

You could not have said this better. May i add:

build a simple "worker" > 53 TURNS :rolleyes: (citysize 3)

An option to save the settings when customizing a game.
For the love of Gnu, this should have been standard years ago.

Guys, sorry for not updating the list, it's been a while.

But as I said earlier, I was short on time, and now this thread has gone so big, it would take me ages to sight/edit/add all the stuff you bring (thx!!!) to the list.

I would really appreciate it if some moderator could join in and work on this list, it's gone too big for one man with family;)

Top Bottom