CIV 5 the worst letdown in PC gaming, ever.

I have played half a dozen games of Civ V and not even sure where to start, I guess being fair with the good stuff.

CIV V good stuff
hex grid is better, combat is better, city states are a nice little addition, yea Ive run out already. three small good ideas, sorry Firaxis your game cant subsist on the back of that.

Civ V problems
I seriously wont have a big enough word count. I cant imagine a greater amount of poor business decisions.
dumbed down... umm why?
no religion.. to appease the lefties.
Poor AI... every game is exactly the same, so there is little to no replayability. Steam is as unstable as the leaning tower of Pizza and just a completely terribad platform, it constantly crashes and now my version will not run at all. I seriously cant even play the game now.
the damn opening FMV cant be skipped for some :):):):)ing reason, I want to smash the face of the old man in the tent so much.
So in lieu of smarter AI and politics they opted for a kiddy version of the game with a sprussed up combat system, which says to me they want the kids market, which I hope for their sake they have grabbed because ALL of my friends are seething at how poor this game is.
the only changes to the CIV 4 were a few aesthetic ones ( hex grids) but primarily were for the worse.
And now I read they havehired Kael, which means no fall from heaven Civ 5 version. I can't imagine how firaxis could make a worse decision than taking away the chance to have good mods written.

Sorry firaxis, i seriously hope you read this so I can send you a big old cheesy :):):):) you. I will never buy your :):):):) again, pack of :):):):) bags.

Moderator Action: Please do not use foul language - warned
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Every game the same and little to no replayabilty?! Hello WTF on this one??? Steam is unstable?! How does Steam becoming the biggest success for digital distribution on the net?? Go ahead and get the rest of your SS parts, get your ship together and fly back to Mars, or better yet... "just say no, to drugs". To state that Civ 5 is the worst letdown in PC gaming history? Just get off the cocaine man, seriously what else could it be making statements like that. Come on, worse letdown in PC gaming history??? You are not a reviewer you are a complainer, so go take a hike.
Moderator Action: Insults are not allowed in this forum.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Warspite, don't try to answer this poor try at asking for attention. It just doesn't make sense at all.

No replayability in Civ 5 ? Thanks for the laugh.

Has the OP played Empire Total War.. Broken, No AI, Stripped Bare and about as moddable in the core as a console game.. To be fair the more I now play even the simple mods and scenarios for Civ5 Im starting to see promise and remember just how poor vanilla civ 4 was..

I agree. There are genuine issues with Civ V, but nothing I don't think can be dealt with in patches. And the more you play it and learn not to play as if one is still playing Civ IV, the more fun the game becomes. The diplomacy is not nearly as chaotic as it first seemed; the AI leaders do react rather consistently to various things, but they don't always tell you why they are pleased or annoyed at somebody or because of sommthing. You have to figure it out yourself, which I enjoy. Look at the map, look at the event log, look at the suggestions various leaders make to you and the phrases they use. They are all meaningful. Also, the difference in character between the leaders is much, much bigger than I thought at first, when I couldn't see any pattern of behaviour. I do now.

Of course, the AI sucks at warfare, but that is because the simplistic Stack of Doom is gone. (Man, did I hate the SoD when it first appeared in Civ III!) I think some gamers who used to play Civ IV on levels such as Immortal or Deity are bored and disappointed because they find it very easy to win in Civ V using the cut-throat techniques they brought over from the old game. Of course they have a point; the game *must* be tweaked to give very hard punishments and downsides to those methods, not in order to be mean to the Deity gamers but so as to give them the challenging experience they crave.

hussar if you have not played MOO2 that is something that needs correction. You will forget all about Civ5 for a good while. Find a copy any old way you can.

Just be mindful that I don't think autosave had been invented yet... which had the potential to create rivers of tears after a power outage on a rainy evening.

well I must say the biggest problem of CIV5 is " It's not even done yet" !!
How the hell did Firaxis test it? The opening MV problem really tells it all.

Also, for every victory achieved / wonder built, we only get a "dang~~" ,a short Commentary , and a lousy paint. I don't even get a space shuttle launch animation. Are they serious when making this game? I feel insulted by a bunch of "salary thieves".

If the worst problem with Civ V in its present state were the absence of some eye candy, then we wouldn't have much to complain about.

The whole "they stole my money by making this crappy game" point is totally moot. If you pre-ordered, then maybe I can feel your pain, but everyone with half a brain knows there's always a risk that the game will be crap. You just never know for sure. If you aren't 100% comfortable with that assumption or 100% sure you want the game regardless, don't pre-order it.

And if you didn't pre-order? Well, then you're just being ignorant for making the assumption that a game you didn't want bad enough to pre-order is good without first trying a demo or waiting for reviews.

Worst let down in PC gaming? To you, maybe. EVER? No way, not even close.

As Thormodr said:

"Its the responsibility of any true fan of Civ to stand up and tell Firaxis and 2K Games in no uncertain terms that this product (Civ V) is completely unacceptable."

That is possibly the most insufferably smug and supercilious statement on the subject I have read. So anyone who likes Civ V is not "a true fan of Civ"? :eek:

You're quite welcome. I was merely trying to express the absurdity of the OP's biggest disappointment ever claim, but it is nice to shout out to fellow gamers that don't think gaming started when FF7 and Baldur's Gate were released.

I'll be frank here for a moment and say that I am quite tired of people crapping up the Civ5 discussion forum. I'll post a quote from the great Sulla that sums it up nicely

So I'm not saying you have to like Civ5. I'm asking that you cede the Civilization 5 discussion forum to people who are, more or less, optimistic about the game. I feel entitled to a reasonable expectation that at least half of the top threads will be productive discussion. I have no earthly idea why the moderators allow the forum to be such a cesspool. I'm not saying squelch *all* criticism, but look at the visible threads at the top of Civ5 discussion on a given day and tell me that it really qualifies as constructive discussion.

I have *plenty* of criticisms of Civ5, but I don't bother posting them because the forum is already so out of whack. If I dare post any serious critique of Civ5 then I will be forced to look as if I am on the same bandwagon.

Can we please have the Civ5 discussion forum for... I know this is crazy... actual Civ5 discussion?

This.

A hundred times this.

A million times this.

This might be my favourite post on this forum in forever.

I totally agree and I said a similar thing already in another thread. Don't get me wrong, I love CFC and been around here for a very long time, but I wish it was more like Apolyton. Anyone been around there lately? It seems to be more positive and more talk about the game, not hardly any of the whinning that is going on here. I am not sure why though. Some people make it a point to not even give the game chance nor Firaxis time to even balance it out a little.

If we're judging Askia by his Civ5 leader scene I'd run like hell if he was that close to *my* porch...

I also thought Askia's leader scene was really stupid until I realized that he is simply standing in front of his fireplace, which is actually electrical but has cool burning ruins effects because Askia is a bit childish and enjoys having a fireplace like that.

Don't blame the developers for Askia's tacky preferences in home decoration!

Civ 5 is actually the worst letdown in mankind history.

I rank it even lower than World War II and nuclear bombs.

So clearly it's really low. It's so low it puzzles my mind and makes me atrociously sick.

Congrats for the puke smiley, if I could sign somewhere with my blood I'd do it now.

However, one can always strike a blow for Goodness and Justice by scaring off potential buyers of the game through consistently denigrating it and neglecting to mention how much fun many people get out of it. Granted, we who enjoy Civ V are all self-evidently noobies and not "real Civ fans"; in fact, we are the cohorts of Satan; but mentioning us, if only as a warning example, would only be fair.

Of course Civ V needs some serious patching and tweaking, in addition to the excellent patch already introduced. No one to my knowledge has denied that. That is a far way from talking about it as if Hitler has returned from the grave and is trying to promote his agenda by bribing Firaxis to produce the game.

(And no, Godwin's Law does not say that anyone who mentions Hitler in a discussion has automatically lost the argument. Read his own article about it and find out.)

I won't answer the OPs question. But I still think the "what's the biggest let down in PC gaming" is an interesting subject to discuss. We've all been let down by games at some point, but it doesn't mean it was a general let down in the gaming industrie. Our own personal expectation should'nt be use as a base for mesuring general disappointment. By definition, a let down implies a pre-release hype and a big let down implies a big pre-release hype, etc.

What would be fun is to make a, let's say, top 10 list of the PC games for which there was the most hype pre-release. Perhaps opening a thread asking everyone to name their 3 candidates. Then we compile the responses until we have our 10 titles. We then start another thread asking everyone to score these games.

Then we could see a little better where CiV stands at this point. Of course, there's the inevitable bias of being on a Civ fan forum...
But otherwise, this discussion is totally pointless

Has anyone in this thread mentioned Duke Nukem Forever yet? I think that game's already taken this title.

No way! First off, you can't really be a disappointment without being released. I mean, yes that in itself is disappointing, but that doesn't mean the game was disappointing. Second, it's going to be released, finally. Lets save our assessments of how big of a disappointment it is until after it comes out!

Öjevind Lång;9837425 said:
I also thought Askia's leader scene was really stupid until I realized that he is simply standing in front of his fireplace, which is actually electrical but has cool burning ruins effects because Askia is a bit childish and enjoys having a fireplace like that.

I just have to say that now I want a fireplace like that!

No way! First off, you can't really be a disappointment without being released. I mean, yes that in itself is disappointing, but that doesn't mean the game was disappointing. Second, it's going to be released, finally. Lets save our assessments of how big of a disappointment it is until after it comes out!

Isn't this the dozenth or so time they've said it's going to be released? :p

Back on topic though, I can think of many games I personally find a bigger letdown. I actually enjoy CiV. So what it's different, what were you expecting, BTS in a new box with different graphics? Actually, don't answer that question...

Öjevind Lång;9837497 said:
Granted, we who enjoy Civ V are all self-evidently noobies and not "real Civ fans"; in fact, we are the cohorts of Satan; but mentioning us, if only as a warning example, would only be fair.

Hey, I represent that statement. :)

Civ5 is a rather bad game, which hopefully will be improved to become decent, but not better due to its design flaws.

It's unfortunately (or fortunately :rolleyes:) far from being the worst ever.

Isn't this the dozenth or so time they've said it's going to be released? :p

Off-topic: Yes, but this time it actually looks promising. I have faith in Gearbox. They actually have some teaser vids and an expected delivery of March 2011. I'm not going to hold my breath, but it's something :D

I have to admit that I'm rather surprised a Civ fan hasn't played MOO3 if only because the MOO Franchise could rightly be called the second most popular 4x game of the PC game golden age (1990s)
Not that there's anything wrong with it, I'm just surprised.
I'd rate MOO3 easily the biggest disappointment in my 4x gaming experience.
My biggest disappointment in general is "every LucasArt/LucasGames release of the past decade on any platform."
Even their good games of the last 10 years don't match what they were doing in the 90s.
Rebellion might have rated high on the 4x disappointment chart, but against all odds, I love that game.

Top Bottom