CIV 5 the worst letdown in PC gaming, ever.

Has the OP played Empire Total War.. Broken, No AI, Stripped Bare and about as moddable in the core as a console game.. To be fair the more I now play even the simple mods and scenarios for Civ5 Im starting to see promise and remember just how poor vanilla civ 4 was..

op is dumb
tho he can say, that my statement is invalid, that will not change fact of it being pretty valid assuming all op's re4cent posting in this thread

ciV is good game and will get improved, more than that wait for total conversion mods, those will be much better for civ5, as it provide much better strategic and tactical gameplay

Moderator Action: Flaming - warned
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

no idea what Moo3 or outpost are, so your arguement is invalid. CIV 5 winner, of worst letdown in PC gaming history

I guess you've never played Daikatana, Elemental, or Master of Orion III :p

And quite frankly, if you don't know about other games, how can you say Civ 5 is the worst?

And for the record, I disagree with your opinion.

I like Civ 5 quite a bit.

No, but it does mean that your opinion is less informed than that of others and doesn't warrant as much weight.

Seriously, all opinions are not equal and not all opinions are well-formed or valid.

Sorry God forgive my petulence. Your opinions are obviously more robustly formed and of a nonpareil education, my lowly opinions are clearly of a feeble mind and should be discouraged at every possible juncture because I did not play one title many moons ago. Forgive me god for having the brass to formulate a notion without having consulted your divine manuscripts and mandates, forgive me god for having lowly thoughts of your divine proclimations and mandates as being floored in their own peurile flippency and calling into account my own poorly formed and badly, nay even hastily made conceptions for being as bold as to suggest in my cognitive infancy that we were peers in any regard. Pray, dear god that you can find in your omnipitance and procotic magnificence to forgive one such as I for having an opinion. Pray dear god, please forgive me.

Moderator Action: And this is trolling - refrain from it.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

As bad and disappointing as ciV is, I can't really agree with it being the worst.

I think Outpost or MOO3 would be have to be the worst letdowns of all time for PC games.

One word-Spore was the worst ever, though at least you could create unique creatures or buildings/ships etc
CiV um... to quote Sulla "rinse and repeat"

For all the faults of Civ 5, I have to agree that Moo3 was far worse and much more of a disappointment. After all, with a little patching and some modding, Civ 5 can be a really good game. The same was not possible at all with Moo3 (and I tried out some of the best mods for it years later).

Even Moo3 was a good game after some patching, so that will probably applay for CiV as well.

As bad and disappointing as ciV is, I can't really agree with it being the worst.

I think Outpost or MOO3 would be have to be the worst letdowns of all time for PC games.

As buggy and broken as outpost was I think MOO3 was the clearly worse. Outpost at least had the potential to be a good game but was marred by its many shortcomings. Whereas MOO3 was so poorly designed from the ground up that it managed to get almost every 4x concept wrong (sorry 5x ... lol remeber that).

ciV is still many times better than moo3. I mean it is possible to lose a game of ciV. The thread title is a little hyperbole to me, I respect your opinion but I feel it may be based on a lack of experience with terrible 4x games. ciV to me is actually more fun than early days of civ 3 as civ 3 barely functioned under the strain of bugs in the first few weeks, it became much better over time though. I put ciV above MOO3 and outpost and basically on par with Ascendancy (a decent game marred by terrible AI, poor economics and tons of exploits).

Fun Factoid: Most people never played XCOM on anything but the easiest difficulty level. There was a bug that set the game to the easiest difficulty no matter what you selected. And it was not fixed until much later than you'd think and back then patching wasn't as common so most people wouldn't even know to patch anyway.

This utterly terrifies me. X-Com remains, to this day, the single hardest game I have ever played (well, no....that would be Contra...any of them....but that's beside the point). I think I've beat the game ONCE and that's it. I shudder to think that I might have been playing it on easy-mode! :eek:

As for religion being left out because of "lefties"....um....that's certainly one of the more unique explanations I've seen put forward.....

Even Moo3 was a good game after some patching, so that will probably applay for CiV as well.

I tried the Vanilla and Chocolate mods, and they made it not suck. They didn't make the game good, imho.

Sorry God forgive my petulence. Your opinions are obviously more robustly formed and of a nonpareil education, my lowly opinions are clearly of a feeble mind and should be discouraged at every possible juncture because I did not play one title many moons ago. Forgive me god for having the brass to formulate a notion without having consulted your divine manuscripts and mandates, forgive me god for having lowly thoughts of your divine proclimations and mandates as being floored in their own peurile flippency and calling into account my own poorly formed and badly, nay even hastily made conceptions for being as bold as to suggest in my cognitive infancy that we were peers in any regard. Pray, dear god that you can find in your omnipitance and procotic magnificence to forgive one such as I for having an opinion. Pray dear god, please forgive me.

Now everyone shouldn't have piled on you, particularly in the kind of personal way some did, but you shouldn't have so arrogantly told people they were wrong when you didn't know any better. Your opinion that Civ V sucks is certainly valid, but adamantly refusing to believe any game could have possibly been worse and somewhat snidely dismissing people who said otherwise was rude, uncalled for, and frankly just wrong.

You being wrong about an extremely strong statement regarding how bad Civ V was (e.g. the worst game ever), doesn't mean people think you shouldn't express any opinion or that you are some kind of moron. Don't be so melodramatic.

I agree to Civ V being the biggest let down in PC gaming to me.
As for Moo3 i wasn't a huge fan of MOO so when i played 3 i wasnt let down.. just didn't find it that appealing.
Second for me though is when EA stopped making madden for PC.. i refuse to buy a new console so im SOL on my football fix unless I fireup the PS2 and play an old one or dig out 2003 for PC which is rather old now and lost much of its luster

Civ 5 isn't so bad as MOO3 for me. It is just on the level of Sid Meier's Railroads! and Civilization 4: Colonization.

Soldner, Hearts of Iron 3, and Elemental.

And SM Railroads gets a dishonourable mention too.

Three games that make Civ5 look like the best game ever.

sorry I never played Moo, I have however played many hundreds of titles, sure I was let down when Medieval 2 total war was the same game with better graphix, or starcraft 2 was also the same game with slightly better graphix, which you will have to pay for 3 times if you want to play, with no lan capabilities. sure the WOW X-pacs completely ruined the game, sure neverwinternights wasn't a flea on the arse of Balders gate 2. But civ 2 was awesome, civ 3 was fantastic, civ 4 was whoa what an upgrade civ 5, massive dissapointment. Apart from a few minor tweeks there is little difference. Look at the difference kael did to Civ 4 with FFH. My God, Kudos to that dude. This one guy outstripped the work of all of Firaxis, alone, many fold.
My opinion that Civ 5 is the biggest let down, i stand by, flame all you want belittle my arguement all you want, but I stand by it. i was genuinely hoping for something amazing. I was actually insulted at how little they had bother to improve the game, not even sure improve is the correct word here.
I was hoping for hundreds and hundreds of game hours, instead I got maybe 6-7 tops. If you're genuinely getting the hundreds of game hours out of it that you had hoped for, you go for it. My copy is back on the shelf, with no refund possibility, because I had to register it on that stinking pile of crap of a platform, steam.
If I play civ again it will be civ 2 or 3. IMO they lost their way.

I have played half a dozen games of Civ V and not even sure where to start, I guess being fair with the good stuff.

CIV V good stuff
hex grid is better, combat is better, city states are a nice little addition, yea Ive run out already. three small good ideas, sorry Firaxis your game cant subsist on the back of that.

Civ V problems
I seriously wont have a big enough word count. I cant imagine a greater amount of poor business decisions.
dumbed down... umm why?
no religion.. to appease the lefties.
Poor AI... every game is exactly the same, so there is little to no replayability. Steam is as unstable as the leaning tower of Pizza and just a completely terribad platform, it constantly crashes and now my version will not run at all. I seriously cant even play the game now.
the damn opening FMV cant be skipped for some :):):):)ing reason, I want to smash the face of the old man in the tent so much.
So in lieu of smarter AI and politics they opted for a kiddy version of the game with a sprussed up combat system, which says to me they want the kids market, which I hope for their sake they have grabbed because ALL of my friends are seething at how poor this game is.
the only changes to the CIV 4 were a few aesthetic ones ( hex grids) but primarily were for the worse.
And now I read they havehired Kael, which means no fall from heaven Civ 5 version. I can't imagine how firaxis could make a worse decision than taking away the chance to have good mods written.

Sorry firaxis, i seriously hope you read this so I can send you a big old cheesy :):):):) you. I will never buy your :):):):) again, pack of :):):):) bags.

Moderator Action: Please do not use foul language - warned

LOLOL! Do you get butthurt so often?

For some reason, I'm enjoying your anger and pain.

I demand you cry more.

In 3...2...

Moderator Action: What part of "don't troll" don't you understand?

LOLOL! Do you get butthurt so often?

For some reason, I'm enjoying your anger and pain.

I demand you cry more.

In 3...2...

so petty

Oh Moo3 I remember my first game, lost on around turn 80 from a diplomatic vote from the galactic council?

Also I remember that the AI was unable to attack you, one game I picked the race everyone hated, picked the smallest map, declared war on everyone, disbanded my ships and still didn't lose a planet for around 200 turns trying.

Civ5 isn't nearly as bad as Moo3 was. Actually civ5 is pretty descent and enjoyable.

Side note to OP with your attitude it's really hard not to flame you.

Top Bottom