CIV 5 the worst letdown in PC gaming, ever.

I think this game has a ton of potential. I do find myself torn between having fun and finding the game annoying. Mostly, I find it annoying in how it is unfinished. Hopefully patches and upgrades fix it. Then I'll be happy.

But I suppose you're right. It's a disappointment because we should have bought a game that was more playable upon release.

Oh Moo3 I remember my first game, lost on around turn 80 from a diplomatic vote from the galactic council?

Also I remember that the AI was unable to attack you, one game I picked the race everyone hated, picked the smallest map, declared war on everyone, disbanded my ships and still didn't lose a planet for around 200 turns trying.

Civ5 isn't nearly as bad as Moo3 was. Actually civ5 is pretty descent and enjoyable.

Side note to OP with your attitude it's really hard not to flame you.

what attitude? Im stating my opinion and you all seem to think Im not entitled to it

My copy is back on the shelf, with no refund possibility, because I had to register it on that stinking pile of crap of a platform, steam.
If I play civ again it will be civ 2 or 3. IMO they lost their way.

Sorry but your point there is moot, you could have just downloaded the demo and see if you liked it or not, the 100 turns you get, show clearly the "slowdown" at the later stages, and if you played so many previous civs as you say you did, you would have known slowdowns only increase the further in you get.

Secondly the demo also shows clearly the inept AI and other such problems.

So yes, shout from the rooftops how your let down, but please aim all your dissapointment at the right person, in this case you should have been dissapointed in your judgement.

Firaxis released a game, Firaxis released a Demo for people to try it out.
What more do you want they do for you?

I hope for your own sake next time you "try the demo" of a new game before buying it and finding out you wasted over 50$.

Even Moo3 was a good game after some patching, so that will probably applay for CiV as well.

Even on the last official patch MOO3 could be beaten most of the time by simply hitting the end turn button over and over, so personally I don't think that is the best example of a game being fixed by its developers. Glad you enjoyed it though I do not think that merits the average gamer's definition of good.

Actually thinking about ciV more in relation to other games, I beat civilization:colonization with a single city on hardest difficulty within the first day. Though I did have fun doing it so ciV has to be under civ:col for me.

Sorry God forgive my petulence. Your opinions are obviously more robustly formed and of a nonpareil education, my lowly opinions are clearly of a feeble mind and should be discouraged at every possible juncture because I did not play one title many moons ago. Forgive me god for having the brass to formulate a notion without having consulted your divine manuscripts and mandates, forgive me god for having lowly thoughts of your divine proclimations and mandates as being floored in their own peurile flippency and calling into account my own poorly formed and badly, nay even hastily made conceptions for being as bold as to suggest in my cognitive infancy that we were peers in any regard. Pray, dear god that you can find in your omnipitance and procotic magnificence to forgive one such as I for having an opinion. Pray dear god, please forgive me.

Moderator Action: And this is trolling - refrain from it.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

As a Christian I am getting tired of you too Hussar. Grow up maybe :D:D:D:D Moderator Action: trolling - warned
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

what attitude? Im stating my opinion and you all seem to think Im not entitled to it

you're crying about a game being dumbed-down and kiddy on the basis of a few games with the AI... you aren't truly entitled to your claims

Moderator Action: Warned for flaming -- discuss the topic, not the other member

Firaxis released a game, Firaxis released a Demo for people to try it out.
What more do you want they do for you?

I hope for your own sake next time you "try the demo" of a new game before buying it and finding out you wasted over 50$.
My point is moot? wow mate, just wow, civ fantaics... Ie we are fanatical about Civ, not Civ, oh try the demo first and see if it is any good.com please dood, please

you're crying about a game being dumbed-down and kiddy on the basis of a few games with the AI... you aren't truly entitled to your claims

I did try a few games online, a more counter intuitive process i have never encountered. Why do you all say I arent entitled to my claims, what soviet state are you living in??

As a Christian I am getting tired of you too Hussar. Grow up maybe :D:D:D:D

I don't like the bible so i don't read it, if you dont like my post dont read it. And yae it was good.

Ah, to be young and never have tasted that bitterness. My wife still talks about how bad Moo3 was, and she was just looking over my shoulder ... I'm not happy with Civ V, but it doesn't even come close to being that bad.

OMG. MOO2 is so great but Moo3 is such a disaster. I don't have stragic game fans in my friends, but Now I realized I am not alone in the MOO3 shock.

Civ 5 is made by lefties...thus no religion ... Lenin's mummy in red square breaks a smile. :)

This utterly terrifies me. X-Com remains, to this day, the single hardest game I have ever played (well, no....that would be Contra...any of them....but that's beside the point). I think I've beat the game ONCE and that's it. I shudder to think that I might have been playing it on easy-mode! :eek:
You are kidding, right? I LOVE X-Com and really wish they would finally release a worthy successor, but I always considered it a little too easy. I only play it with house rules, e.g. not using a Blaster Launcher or limiting the number of people per mission. But I still play in from time to time (thanks, DosBox!). :p

As for religion being left out because of "lefties"....um....that's certainly one of the more unique explanations I've seen put forward.....
Hehe, I agree. Made me lol (as some of his other comments as well).

Civ5 isn't nearly as bad as Moo3 was. Actually civ5 is pretty descent and enjoyable.
I agree, but it Civ5 is still a pretty huge disappointment for me.

Side note to OP with your attitude it's really hard not to flame you.
/signed. ... If this was an unmodded forum, I'd be writing some more words about the OP's level of maturity, etc.. But I guess we'll have to leave him be for now and not feed the..., well, you know. ;)

You are kidding, right? I LOVE X-Com and really wish they would finally release a worthy successor

UFO: Extraterrestrials Gold, is actually pretty good, not really a successor, but hey if you loved all X-COM games, you might like this one aswell, check it out on Youtube sometime (a Let's Play) to see if it's anything you would like, it's cheap on steam these days.

I at no stage said it was the worst game ever, i have reolutely said it was the biggest let down ever. yes it is servicable, as much so as say vanilla Civ 4 was. I seriously fail to understand why you guys keep repeating that I can't have an opinion.

well I must say the biggest problem of CIV5 is " It's not even done yet" !!
How the hell did Firaxis test it? The opening MV problem really tells it all.

Also, for every victory achieved / wonder built, we only get a "dang~~" ,a short Commentary , and a lousy paint. I don't even get a space shuttle launch animation. Are they serious when making this game? I feel insulted by a bunch of "salary thieves".

well I must say the biggest problem of CIV5 is " It's not even done yet" !!
How the hell did Firaxis test it? The opening MV problem really tells it all.

Also, for every victory achieved / wonder built, we only get a "dang~~" ,a short Commentary , and a lousy paint. I don't even get a space shuttle launch animation. Are they serious when making this game? I feel insulted by a bunch of "salary thieves".

thank you a real post, I agree wholeheartedly. unfinished, rush to market, low AI and way too easy. A patched civ 4 is a better option atm, which is a sorry indictment on CIV 5

Was the worst letdown in PC gaming. I would also say C and C Tiberium wars was also, coming on the heels of Generals which was amazing.

sorry I never played Moo, I have however played many hundreds of titles, sure I was let down when Medieval 2 total war was the same game with better graphix, or starcraft 2 was also the same game with slightly better graphix, which you will have to pay for 3 times if you want to play, with no lan capabilities. sure the WOW X-pacs completely ruined the game, sure neverwinternights wasn't a flea on the arse of Balders gate 2. But civ 2 was awesome, civ 3 was fantastic, civ 4 was whoa what an upgrade civ 5, massive dissapointment. Apart from a few minor tweeks there is little difference. Look at the difference kael did to Civ 4 with FFH. My God, Kudos to that dude. This one guy outstripped the work of all of Firaxis, alone, many fold.
My opinion that Civ 5 is the biggest let down, i stand by, flame all you want belittle my arguement all you want, but I stand by it. i was genuinely hoping for something amazing. I was actually insulted at how little they had bother to improve the game, not even sure improve is the correct word here.
I was hoping for hundreds and hundreds of game hours, instead I got maybe 6-7 tops. If you're genuinely getting the hundreds of game hours out of it that you had hoped for, you go for it. My copy is back on the shelf, with no refund possibility, because I had to register it on that stinking pile of crap of a platform, steam.
If I play civ again it will be civ 2 or 3. IMO they lost their way.

I could not agree more. Of couse there will always be ppl who never knew the game in ancient times, so they must be forgiven for not knowing any better. Civ5 is a total wash up.

Too many people fail to see the marketing strategy of Fraxis since Civ 3...And it's not only them that do this shameful practice. I'd bet my bottom ruble Civ 5 is complete except it's been chopped up into 3 parts and the other parts are sitting stored on a laptop hard drive some where. Soon they will be released as "expansions" to Civ 5. Like it's been done with Civ 3 and Civ 4.

Why make a profit once when you can hit 3 birds with 1 stone!

I could not agree more. Of couse there will always be ppl who never knew the game in ancient times, so they must be forgiven for not knowing any better. Civ5 is a total wash up.

cheers matey

Too many people fail to see the marketing strategy of Fraxis since Civ 3...And it's not only them that do this shameful practice. I'd bet my bottom ruble Civ 5 is complete except it's been chopped up into 3 parts and the other parts are sitting stored on a laptop hard drive some where. Soon they will be released as "expansions" to Civ 5. Like it's been done with Civ 3 and Civ 4.

Why make a profit once when you can hit 3 birds with 1 stone!

Starcraft is a perfect example of that mate, I'll take that bet of your last ruble versus that once starcraft 2 zerg xpac comes out you will no longer be allowed to play zerg without the xpac. All hail the shareholders.

Top Bottom