Civ 6 Units Loose all sound

I just got the same bug for the first time ever, in my first game right after the Spring patch.

Interestingly, the sounds play if I switch to strategic view. They stop playing as soon as I switch back to regular view (even mid-battle)

Last edited:
I hope they fix this soon. I miss those sound effects.

I just experienced this for the first time after the Spring Update. As others have noted it occurred when a naval vessel's sight range extended over the edge of the map. The graphical glitch followed by loss of sound was not dependent on which map edge was breached - left, right, top, and bottom all experienced the same result. It was unfortunate that I had to forego "exploring" the other large landmass on the map, but as others have discovered, entering "Reveal All" in debug mode restored the sounds. Actually, entering "Explore All" instead is a better option as it retains the "fog-of-war" for discovered territory.

I noticed this when I recruited Great Musicians. I like the short Music they play when you use them. But now there is silence. and a lot of other sounds have gone also.
Pity the one when the Finish production in a city sound that goes off 30 times isn't one of them

It was solved for me by finding another edge. Easy for me, as I play the same map every time.

I've had the bug for a while and still do. Playing on Gedemon's largest Earth map available from his YNAMP mod. I also figured out pretty quickley it had something to do with either map edges and/or crossing from the left to the right part of the map (or vice-versa) near the top or bottom edge, since I'm getting the bug when some of my boats are exploring in those areas. Never had it when crossing the ocean when map edges are out of visible reach...

I simply quicksave and reload the game. Only downside is I'm starting to get seriously tired of Sean Bean's intros...

I've had the bug for a while and still do. Playing on Gedemon's largest Earth map available from his YNAMP mod. I also figured out pretty quickley it had something to do with either map edges and/or crossing from the left to the right part of the map (or vice-versa) near the top or bottom edge, since I'm getting the bug when some of my boats are exploring in those areas. Never had it when crossing the ocean when map edges are out of visible reach...

I simply quicksave and reload the game. Only downside is I'm starting to get seriously tired of Sean Bean's intros...

I no longer get the bug, I thought it was patched.

You should be able to fix it by hitting another point on the map. There is a point A and point B. Hitting either used to cause the bug for me, hitting the other point after fixed it.

On giant earth ynaemp one point was along the west side of iceland, the other was down where Capetown should be.

Now I experience a new bug, where 1 individual unit loses sound until a reload... usually happens around Jakarta and/or Japan.

Another fix for the bug is using the cheat to reveal the whole map - if you can't find point B. But it kinda ruins the game fixing it this way, imo.

Hope that helps.

I'm having the same problem. The game just isn't the same without sound. I always play GEM and find that the graphics tear or flicker (last time in South Africa and the game before when I reached Iceland.
I've tried 'reveal all' but there is still no sound, just some ambient wind sound. The only thing that fixes it is to reload. In the later game that means reloading every 10-30 minutes..
It's so frustrating!
In Civ5 there was a mod that allowed you to change the music, I wonder if someone made that for Civ6 it would force the sound back on?
If there is anyone who knows how to mod, can you please make a mod to change the music? .

After the Summer 2017 update, I now have several issues with some units losing sound partially, but also with boats first starting to bump up and down as if driving a rocky road, then floating high above the water and units disappearing after a while with the added annoyance that when commanded to attack, pillage or simply move they don't execute their duties, or, they do but the effect/result isn't added to the game. At those moments I can also no longer save, in that, I can open the menu and quick-save or make a new save but the saves don't register and are nowhee to be seen.

Reloading a previou save restores things, but the further I get into the game, the quicker I have these issues, like, after less than an hour of playing...

For the time being, I've quit Civ6 and restarted an updated Mass Effect: Andromeda, loaded with mods.

I know how you feel Jimmy, I think I spend more time trying to work out bugs with Civ6 than actually playing it. In my latest game I purposely didn't let any units go anywhere near the place where the map edges meet- around Iceland and Africa. Not crossing the line has worked and the sound hasn't stopped but it's a pretty big deal not to be able to explore the whole map. I'm sure the problem will start again as soon as I cross the map edges or get satellites which reveals the map.
My latest problem is that when I made a peace deal I got a handful of cities, I chose not to liberate it and now it shows that it's occupied. I can't even give the city away as it doesn't show up in the trade screen. I've got 2 worthless cities which will be permanently occupied now :(

And a month later- I'm still having the same problem. I only play the same map Genghis Kai's GEM. I can only play up to where I've explored most of the map maybe around turn 150-200. The only thing that works for me is reloading. At turn 200 I have to reload every 2-3 turns... It's just not worth it, I spend more time waiting for reloading and in between turns than actually playing the game.
Play another map you say? No, I don't want to play another map, I just won't play at all...

Was having the same issue. Eventual solution I found was to goto Playback Devices select my playback device go into properties and in the Advanced tab set the Default Format from 24 bit 96000Hz to 16 bit 48000Hz. My exact symptoms where as the above where sound for everything except environmental would go out and sometimes come back and sometimes not. Reload would fix but the problem would repeat more and more frequently as the game went on. Since changing the settings bug has not repeated. Hope that helps someone else. Bug did first occur when exploring the edge of a super sized NYAMP map.

Top Bottom