1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ 6

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Pangaea, May 12, 2016.

1. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

I had to play Legendary Start every time in V because otherwise there wouldn't be enough luxuries to expand.

2. rah

rah Deity Supporter

It was always my biggest complaint when testing. Boring maps. Only to be told that was the intent. Quite frustrating.

3. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Yeah, well I have the same complaint a lot of the time in Civ IV. If I roll a map where I don't even feel like expanding, I just reload the 4000BC auto and reroll the map.

4. rah

rah Deity Supporter

At least in IV there are things like corn and gold that are better than a simple +1.

And you can reroll the map and get something that isn't boring. In V, no matter how many times you reroll, it's going be boring.

5. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Well, exactly - in Civ V the only choice if you think the map is boring is to quit and play Civ IV :lol:

6. rah

rah Deity Supporter

YEP.
    I did that the day the game came out. :lol: :lol: :lol:

7. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Superconductor Moderator

The map is boring? Heck, the whole game is boring. :p

I had to wonder in the announcement thread just how much of a broken mess Civ 6 will be at launch. Firaxis has done nothing to improve it's negative reputation in respect to releasing games in an alpha state with the release of Civ:BE and the more recent release of XCOM 2.

I can tolerate Steam, but I can't tolerate paying $80 for a game that is almost unplayable for the first month or two, until they choose to patch it. I have absolutely no confidence that the game will even be playable on release. I got burned with Civ 5 (and XCOM 2) and it won't happen again. I just have to wonder how long the software industry can go on releasing half finished games for maximum dollar, but I suppose that there will always be people stupid enough to let them away with it.

<sigh>

On to the game itself, I see nothing that would make me buy it. There are a few interesting sounding concepts, but overall, it looks like an even more dumbed-down retooling of Civ 5. The "Looney-Tunes" artwork doesn't help matters. I'm going to have to see a number of reviews on this site from players that I trust before I buy this one, if at all.

[/rant]

8. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Pretty much, that's where I stand too. I picked up Civ V initially by...shall we say..."below the table" means, so I didn't get burned too badly - but it was nigh unplayable at launch. I didn't actually buy the game legitimately until 2011ish.

The strategy with Steam games is always wait until it's patched/expanded, then wait for a Steam Sale. I did that with SKyrim and got the whole game and all expansions for like $15 :goodjob: I also picked up most of the DLC from Civ V on sale.

Yeah, I agree with everything you say here, but I'll wait and see. If there's a sale and I can pick it up for significantly less than full price I could get it but...it might not be worth doing even for that (looking at you BE).

9. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Superconductor Moderator

Did the same with Skyrim, and I am DEFINITELY waiting for a sale on Civ 6 and its DLC.

10. Colon

Colon King

One mild annoyance I have with the visuals in Civ4 that continents have a tendency of feeling like large islands in Civ4 and the sense of size can be lacking. However, it seems even worse in those screens of Civ6. This just feels like it's taking place at a tropical island with those 2 cities at walking distance from each other.

When I rule an empire I want it to feel like an empire dammit.

11. Keler

Keler Warlord

Hello all,

I am also thinking negatively about civ 6. I believe it will be better than civ 5 but there are some of my observations and judgements that take me away from civ 6 and any single game being released in 2010s

Since I didn't get second expansion pack Brave New World of civ 5 and didn't spend more than 10 hours playing civ 5, I don't think I experienced the game well enough to judge.
    BUT
    I hated how the game flows very slow, that leader pop ups and speaking very slow I can't pass, and that famous 1 unit per tile nightmare. It requires a lot of maintenance for my computer and playing with direct 9 x ruins the game. This one I might be wrong as I don't remember not starting civ 5 for four-five years, but I didn't see an Enter WorldBuilder tab on in game escape menu. Scoreboard was lame. I could't get used to :(

Now about my insticsts and myself,

These are my favorite and mostly played games. Yes,my no 1 favorite game is not civ4 :lol:

1. The Sims 2
    2. Civilization 4
    3. The Sims
    4. Red Alert 2
    5. SimCity 4
    Why am I telling this?
    I am not going to discuss as this is Sid Meir's civilization forum but I just want to tell that these games continuation The Sims 3 and so 4, SimCity (released in 2013), and Red Alert 3 were total disappointment to me. Origin was not the only reason but after all we all know the rumors and other stuff with EA games. And I hate Steam too.
    When I add the disappointment of civ 5 from Firaxis Games, I really sense that 2010s and so the gaming future won't really be on my side.
    This sounds stupid and I didn't explain anything rather than implying everything that released in 2010s sucked but lets call it experience. :)

Edit : I don't care about graphics

12. diegobueno

diegobueno Chieftain

in my opinion the game is slow, unless you play with op napoleon and expand like mad and get legions when the ia has swords, i only play few times and on mid dificulty and quick
    still take for ever to make something and its like a rpg with your units...
    boring game just wish some mod to make civ V like civ iv
    i also test the expansions and the religion, why the game is full of perks? religion culture civics
    perks perks perks
    civilization V looks like was made by ubisoft

13. HughFran

HughFran Prince

Dude! You need to get with the times - the Disc is obsolete

14. HughFran

HughFran Prince

Matter of opinion

15. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

To borrow your later quote "matter of opinion"

Indeed it is.

16. HughFran

HughFran Prince

The difference is, Discs ARE actually going Obsolete, that is not a matter of opinion. Soon, we will not be able to purchase anything on disc.

17. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

Do I agree with you that discs will eventually go obsolete? Of course. Your definition of "soon" probably differs greatly from mine however. No worries, just a difference of opinion.

18. HughFran

HughFran Prince

That's fine. My point is that not getting a game simply because it is not available on disc is bizarre. There will be a time when all games will be download only, the same as how music is going. So therefore, as with Civ itself - it might be time to adapt, like moving from Industrial to Modern era!!

19. SaibotLieh

SaibotLieh Emperor

Just because something is obsolete does not mean it will not be available anymore, it always depends if there is enough demand for it (take vinyl for example).

But back to the topic, I am also not too enthusiastic about what I am seeing so far about Civ6, but to be fair there is not that much to be seen yet. But I would be very happy if they make it more moddable again from the start and without having to rely on modders to create the necessary tools or being restricted in some way because they want to sell their DLCs better.

20. HughFran

HughFran Prince

I am very happy with what I have seen and heard so far - the districts sound cool, combined arms will improve the 1upt concept, science, trade, culture and religion are all getting improvements too. People have commented on the graphics but I don't think they look that bad. I actually think they are more akin to Civ 4 than Civ 5 and as long as the gameplay is good, I can deal with the graphics!