Civ 6's Art Style - Do You Like It?

Do you like Civ 6's art style?

• Yes - I like Civ 6's art style can be improved

• No - I think Civ 6's art style can be improved

Results are only viewable after voting.
Missing the "indifferent" option. I don't particularly like it but it doesn't bother me either.

I really like the map, could be truly beautiful sometimes, I also find the city graphics pretty good once modded with a bit for sprawling, but I hate the oversized buildings and districts that ruin the cities/map and we've no easy way to reduce them in a mod like the units (I don't like the cartoon art for them, but with R.E.D. I can live with it)

I don't care about the animated leaders at all, I mean civ5 or civ6, I've always passed the introduction screen as fast as I can, and if I had a choice, I'd prefer the diplomacy exchange to not be full screen.

I love Civ VI's art style (also liked Civ V's) but what I don't like in Civ VI is the way it gets cluttered -really- fast. If I had any proper modding skills (or time / priorities to learn any) I would make everything on the map smaller, except for the map features. So a campus would be part of a hex, not the whole hex. The city centre would be part of the hex, and expand to fill the whole hex by growing in population. Units would be smaller but more numerous (like RED, which I use always). Things like quarries, mines, wind farms, fisheries, and even wonders, I would make to scale as much as possible. So a tile might have a couple of quarries that are small, but also still some woods, some buildings, etc. This way it becomes less of a carnaval as the ages go on, cluttering the whole map with flashy animations etc.

Edit: I see Gedemon thinks more or less in the same lines. I didn't see his post before writing mine. I didn't know we couldn't even do this because of limited mod support by FXS. Come on Firaxis, release the necessary dll tools already!

I haven't had a problem with any of the artstyles from CIV to V to BE to IV. It's the mechanics that get me more than anything else.

My partner just jerry rigged his system to let him install and run an old disc of Civ IV at the weekend, so we were reflecting on the art style across the franchise since then. I remember being so excited when 4 came out that it actually had 3D graphics, but they look terrible now compared to 5 and 6 :lol:

I was very unsure about the art style for 6 when it was revealed - it was a bit too bright, colourful and cartoony. But it's really grown on me and I think now I'd definitely say I prefer it to 5's graphics (which is probably the gold standard for many Civ fans). The only thing I still don't like in 6, graphics-wise, is the leader screens. Some of them are great, but many just look goofy! And I miss the beautiful settings they were in. Much nicer than the wishy-washy backgrounds that look like they were knocked up in half an hour with the paintbrush in Photoshop.

I was very unsure about the art style for 6 when it was revealed - it was a bit too bright, colourful and cartoony. But it's really grown on me and I think now I'd definitely say I prefer it to 5's graphics (which is probably the gold standard for many Civ fans). The only thing I still don't like in 6, graphics-wise, is the leader screens. Some of them are great, but many just look goofy! And I miss the beautiful settings they were in. Much nicer than the wishy-washy backgrounds that look like they were knocked up in half an hour with the paintbrush in Photoshop.
The thing that I like about the Leader animations in Civ 6 is that their personalities are so big. You can feel the ego drip off of Alexander, and the imperial authority just shines off of Qin Shi Huang. :) I do have the same gripes as you do with the leader screens, though. Some are just lazy in terms of creativity.

Edit: I see Gedemon thinks more or less in the same lines. I didn't see his post before writing mine. I didn't know we couldn't even do this because of limited mod support by FXS. Come on Firaxis, release the necessary dll tools already!

thanks, but please note that there is a difference here between "no easy way" and "not possible", this part of graphic modding is unrelated to the release (or not) of the (gameplay) source code, it's just that unlike for units we don't have a scale value we can change in the ardef files (which are text files) for buildings, and AFAIK changing their size would require to recook every building you want to resize.

The thing that I like about the Leader animations in Civ 6 is that their personalities are so big. You can feel the ego drip off of Alexander, and the imperial authority just shines off of Qin Shi Huang. :) I do have the same gripes as you do with the leader screens, though. Some are just lazy in terms of creativity.
That's exactly how I feel. The leader animations are amazing but most of the backgrounds aren't the most grand. The one that sticks out to me is Basil II. At least all the other leaders I know what they are standing in front of.

That's exactly how I feel. The leader animations are amazing but most of the backgrounds aren't the most grand. The one that sticks out to me is Basil II. At least all the other leaders I know what they are standing in front of.
That's sad, considering he has some of the best animations of the New Frontier Pass. :(

The thing that I like about the Leader animations in Civ 6 is that their personalities are so big. You can feel the ego drip off of Alexander, and the imperial authority just shines off of Qin Shi Huang.
There's a counterpoint to that, though. Qin Shi Huang is portrayed more as a cheery, mythical Yellow Emperor style figure.
When the real guy was a strongly fascist (the legalist philosophy is about the closest thing to fascism that Chinese civ has created) dictator who piled up corpses left and right, used brutality as the primary way of gaining loyalty and had no qualms about getting his hands dirty with anything or anyone who'd but look at him wrong. Kind of a dissonance between that and the happy Chinese uncle emperor the game is presenting.

That's sad, considering he has some of the best animations of the New Frontier Pass. :(
They could have at least had the Hippodrome of Constantinople behind him, considering Suleiman took the Hagia Sophia for his background, instead of a random Byzantine church that no-one knows which one.

There's a counterpoint to that, though. Qin Shi Huang is portrayed more as a cheery, mythical Yellow Emperor style figure.
When the real guy was a strongly fascist (the legalist philosophy is about the closest thing to fascism that Chinese civ has created) dictator who piled up corpses left and right, used brutality as the primary way of gaining loyalty and had no qualms about getting his hands dirty with anything or anyone who'd but look at him wrong. Kind of a dissonance between that and the happy Chinese uncle emperor the game is presenting.
Huh... I might have overlooked that. My point about Alexander shall still stand, though!

You must not build a lot of wonders if you see him as cheery. :mischief:

Actually, I'm not such a big fan of Basil's animations. They look better on Genghis Khan, and a little stiff on him IMO. Among the NFP, I'd have to say Hammurabi looks the best. Basil is by no means the worst, though- that honor belongs to Bolivar and his denouncing animation from hell.

Actually, I'm not such a big fan of Basil's animations. They look better on Genghis Khan, and a little stiff on him IMO. Among the NFP, I'd have to say Hammurabi looks the best. Basil is by no means the worst, though- that honor belongs to Bolivar and his denouncing animation from hell.
Alright, that's your opinion. :) Although, Cyrus must be my favorite leader for his animations. He always looks regal in whatever he does and says.

I like everything except for some of the leader animations. Even in that aspect, it really depends on the leader for me.

Philip always has that smirk that I just want to wipe off his face, even when I'm his ally. Kind of funny (and effective).

Gorgo's shoulder shake and Catherine's peer and wine glass tilt are other good ones.

Then there are those that are too Disneyesque for me. Gilgamesh and Victoria, for example.

I really like the map, could be truly beautiful sometimes, I also find the city graphics pretty good once modded with a bit for sprawling, but I hate the oversized buildings and districts that ruin the cities/map and we've no easy way to reduce them in a mod like the units (I don't like the cartoon art for them, but with R.E.D. I can live with it)

I don't care about the animated leaders at all, I mean civ5 or civ6, I've always passed the introduction screen as fast as I can, and if I had a choice, I'd prefer the diplomacy exchange to not be full screen.

I nearly totally agree to Gedemon, only thing i personally would not agree is the scale of the buildings and districts, which seems ok to me. I also think the map is really beautiful, and i also find myself skipping the leader scenes as soon as i can, so no need for animated leaders for me. The style of the leaders, no matter whether animated or not, could be indeed more realistic, i mean when i see Leaders like the Scotland Leader (currently forgot his name) or Gilgamesh, it seems really off for me. For units...a lot of units have too large arms for example, this does not feel right at all. But the map is already beautiful...would be great though, if we would have waterfalls and this kind of 3 level terrain like it will be in Humankind. Maybe in Civ7.

@mdl5000 , @Mr. Salt Not sure if this is the issue you have with forests, but this mod improves vegetation (it's not the same already recommended by Duke of Normandy):
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2115981252&searchtext=vegetation

@Duke William of Normandy There's a version of this mod for Civ V Environment Skin here:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1975497559&searchtext=vegetation

There's this other mod also by JNR, but it seems to include a new terrain type (Tundra Floodplains), so I haven't used it yet:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2135724456&searchtext=vegetation

Top Bottom