CIV and The History Channel

Mano3

King
There's a show on The History Channel called Engineering An Empire, hosted by Peter Weller :scan: (RoboCop). Each episode focuses on a civilization and how it rose to power and what marvels they are responsible for. So far, I've seen episodes on the Aztec, French, Russian, Greek, Carthage, Roman and Chinese empires. It's well done and really gets into the detail of each civilization, its leaders and wonders.

Makes you want to try out that episode's civilization in the game after the show! :)

As for RoboCop - Peter Weller left Hollywood and finally received his masters degree in history from Syracuse University. He does a great job hosting.

yeah i found out about that series here. i never watch the history channel, hubby watches it a lot, i was surprised he never told me about it. i mean, i'm an engineer myself, the stuff is fascinating!

I like comparing each episode's CIV with the game CIV. Seems that Sid and his design team did their homework.

Just before a commercial break it says "check out history channel on line and build your own empire” or something like that, what’s that about?

I love that show! It comes on every Monday night I believe. I enjoyed the one about the Mayans, and they actually taught me how to make concrete just like the Mayans used to make. It's really easy. :p

Cool! But i dont have a history channel....

Thanks for the heads up--I'll have to check that out! Looks like the Canadian history channel is also carrying it...

Ya it does im grateful for that. I saw the Aztecs episode and it was amazing. They had no beasts of burden so the workers had to drag everything themselves. They said one stone took 50 000 people to drag it into town :crazyeye:

I agree with the OP , this show is majorly Civ enducing, even if for me it happens to be with Civ3 :)

Add: also if I see another eps. of "Rome" I'll be forced to play RFRE all over again (conquest sceanarios)

Its amazing that a civilization without any horses, wheels or domesticated animal can survive, thats why if you play the world map scernario, there arent any horses in the americas

Just before a commercial break it says "check out history channel on line and build your own empire” or something like that, what’s that about?

Don't know, maybe it's a CIV IV endorsement. :crazyeye:

Its amazing that a civilization without any horses, wheels or domesticated animal can survive, thats why if you play the world map scernario, there arent any horses in the americas

actually aronnax, they aztecs and mayas did wheels and domesticated animals (i know shocking:mad: )

Turns out, wheels aren't very useful in a jungle OR in the hilly and mountany lands that make up central mexico (i would know, because I LIVE THERE)

and as for no domesticated animals?
-squinkles(small ugly dogs that they ate)
-huajolotes (turkies)

and, there are no horses in america BECAUSE THERE ARE NO HORSES IN FREAKING AMERICA! ARE THERE PINGUINS IN THE NORTH POLE?? YET THEY COULD LIVE THERE

the animal never touched america.

there is proof that they knew wheels, because there are toys and wagons that have wheels on them.

they were extremely advanced in the fact that they built a city mostly over the water, creating foundations similar to those of Venice (made of rock rather than of wood)

and as for robocop :scan: good job. nobody likes being the bionic and single map. SPECIALLY both.

(ps: every notice how robocop just shoots and never bothers to arrest. hey, id be pissed if my family saw me as a freak of nature)

actually aronnax, they aztecs and mayas did wheels and domesticated animals (i know shocking:mad: )

Turns out, wheels aren't very useful in a jungle OR in the hilly and mountany lands that make up central mexico (i would know, because I LIVE THERE)

and as for no domesticated animals?
-squinkles(small ugly dogs that they ate)
-huajolotes (turkies)

Would you pull a cart up a mountain up a hill woth or without wheels....

I know they were very advance, i never said there werent and i know horses never touch the continent, im just saying thats why there arent any horses in the world map of the Americas. I just phrased it wrongly in the previous post

and as for robocop :scan: good job. nobody likes being the bionic and single map. SPECIALLY both.

(ps: every notice how robocop just shoots and never bothers to arrest. hey, id be pissed if my family saw me as a freak of nature)

i don't think of him as robocop. i think of him as buckaroo bonsai.

i don't think of him as robocop. i think of him as buckaroo bonsai.
Er... I think you meant "Banzai". Though "bonsai" did induce a rather comical mental image for me: Peter Weller as a house plant. :lol:

"No matter where you go... there you are!"

Would you pull a cart up a mountain up a hill woth or without wheels....

I know they were very advance, i never said there werent and i know horses never touch the continent, im just saying thats why there arent any horses in the world map of the Americas. I just phrased it wrongly in the previous post

ok lets see it this way:
would you rather pull a cart up a hill plagued with trees, roots, no roads or nothing, shruberries or would you rather carry it by hand with the help of you buddies?

cuz the aztecs picked #2

did you know that in fact the horse originated in america but the population grew and they spread over north america and into russia, when the climate in america changed they could no longer survive but the horses now in asia and spreading to europe did survive.

I love that show... :)

The French one is excellent, especially about Notre Dame and also the Sun King.

Ceasar IV is being sold with the Rome episode.

I've seen the Aztec, Russian,
and Carthage epidsodes, but I want to see the French one.

I love this show--it's one of the best on the HC. I'm also into the "Dogfights" show...they have some solid new ones. I seen most of them, but I somehow missed the Russian one.

There was also one on Persia that wasn't mentioned in the OP.

Top Bottom