• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Civ coop?

nea*Nicu

Chieftain
I recently started playing multiplayer with my son, more specifically coop games.
I'm not sure "coop" is a familiar term in Civ, it is used in shooters for humans organized in teams against other teams, controlled by AI. So basically you need to cooperate against AI.
However, things don't look so easy to setup. We tried standard map, 4 teams of 2 players each, we are 1 team against 3 other AI teams.
We easily won on Prince first game but that's not the point.
There are some difficulties: science is cumulated for team so we obviously would advance quicklier if research the same tech but sometimes he wants to play cultural and I find myself attacked by an AI neighbourn so I would like to research iron working for example, not culture techs etc. Also, the wonders can only be contructed by one of us, not both. Or maybe he plays Mongols and wants keshiks quickly but I preffer iron and so on. Culture is even more difficult to play as team becaused is based on wonders and not cumulated as team but individual instead so I assume it is impossible for both coop players to play cultural in same time.

I am sure there are a lot of people on this forum who play duel 2 versus 2, some even "proffesionally" in leagues etc.
Can you offer some advice, how do you coordinate with partner, maybe same strategy, both science/domination? How do you "negociate" research priorities?
Which kind of setup/map it is most suited for coops of 2 people?
Thanks for your help.

Really playing as a team requires just that, playing like a team with the same objective.

I suggest only playing for a science or domination victory if playing on a team with someone else.

Prioritize depending on you needs. AI is so easy at holding back in MP games (they are default at noble and cannot change it, at least in non hotseat games), let your kid lead they way. If you fail, discuss reasons for failure as a learning lesson.

Thanks for your replies.
Actually we started and played like 50% of a game on "West versus East" focusing only on science and keeping military only as a minimum to deffend against neighbourns.
We both selected "Emperor" for our difficulty, cooperated quite nicely and we lead the game at least as score and techs.

Wapamingo, what do you mean by "they are default on Noble and cannot change it"?
Does it not matter what difficulty we select for ourselves? So in MP Emperor is the same as Prince? Ai does not receive same bonuses as in SP if we select a higher difficulty?

This is what we noticed in our games. We cannot change AI difficulty, hence they get no bonuses. We tried playing around with our difficulty setting and have not noticed any difference either.

To make AI competitive we have teamed them up (so its 1 vs 1 vs 2 vs 2 vs 2), and we forbid ourselves at building wonders. Removing city states, we found, greately improves AI competiveness as well. Also we now pick teams for AI, which seemed to make them better (may not be true, but our observation anyways. Putting germans and french makes a strong team).

In your case, since you guys are playing as a team, I would recommend 2 vs 3 vs 3.

play culturaly, but make sure you have a enough units to defend yourself. you should probably start out making as many culture buildings as you can but build units off and on as you get further into the game.

Top Bottom