1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ design challenge

Discussion in 'Civilization Design Resources' started by ldvhl, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Zantonius Hamm

Zantonius Hamm Gay anime communist

I actually have nothing to do with this thread.

2. ldvhl

ldvhl ніщо

And we now have a three-way tie between Filiki Eterian, bane_, and Urdnott_Scott! There's a few days left to vote, so make sure you get the word out!

(and I'll put this thread in my sig in a bit, thanks Zan!)

3. Zantonius Hamm

Zantonius Hamm Gay anime communist

I vote for Scotty.

4. ruhrgebietheld

ruhrgebietheld Warlord

5. ldvhl

ldvhl ніщо

Urdnott_Scott has pulled ahead. Can any of his competitors pull ahead and take victory in the final day, or will he win two in a row?

It's all up to those who haven't voted yet - make sure you do before voting ends and a victor is declared tomorrow!

6. ldvhl

ldvhl ніщо

Here's the final breakdown of the votes for the Hopi design challenge:

Filiki Eterian (3): GPuzzle DonStamos Uighur_Caesar
    bane_ (3): Hoop Thrower COF DoctorMcGann
    GPuzzle (2): Filiki Eterian DJSHenninger
    Urdnott_Scott (5): bane_ Natan35 Danmacsch Zantonius Hamm ruhrgebietheld

That means Urdnott_Scott has won once again, setting a record of two victories in a row! Congratulations Urdnott_Scott!

That doesn't mean he has time to rest on his laurels though, because we're now entering the next design challenge: Eóganachta! Designs are due by May 18th, and good luck to everybody who submits a design!

7. ruhrgebietheld

ruhrgebietheld Warlord

The Eóganachta

Leader: Cathal mac Finguine

UA: Rock of Cashel
    The resting point for influence with city states which you have never been at war with or demanded tribute from is raised by 20. Influence with these city states degrades 33% slower. Cities gain +3 health and +1 combat strength for each allied city state.

UB: Cloigtheach
    Temple replacement. In addition to its usual yields, it also increases the city's health by five. Units and buildings that can be purchased with faith are 15% cheaper in cities with a Cloigtheach.

UI: Ogham stone
    Unlocked at Writing. Can only be constructed on grassland or forest tiles. Provides +1 culture, faith, and science. Projects a ZOC around itself. Cannot be pillaged. Upon discovering Scientific Theory, yields +1 gold and an additional +1 science and culture.

This civ is meant to be representative of the fact that the Eóganachta weren't much of a military power, but rather gained and wielded power mainly through diplomacy and religious ties. They also treated lesser kingdoms quite well, which further strengthened their diplomatic power. And despite not having much offense, they had a lot of defensive structures and capabilities.

8. Firebug

Firebug Not-so Great Engineer

Oooh, the Irish. This is an unexplored area of Civ.

The reasoning behind picking King Fíngen mac Áedo Duib as the leader is that his reign was a prosperous one ("Munster in the time of Fíngen mac Áedo, its store-houses were full, its homesteads were fruitful.)

The Ceithearn, (pronounced Kern), was the bulk of the Irish military in Medieval times. They were skirmishers who threw spears. The Cattle herding came from Cattle Raiding being the most common cause for conflict in medieval Ireland.

Cloigtheach is "Round Tower" in Irish. Round Towers were prominent in Ireland and usually found near Monasteries or Churches. The Rock of Cashel was the traditional seat for Kings of Munster, and the oldest and tallest of the buildings in the Rock of Cashel is a Round Tower.

9. ldvhl

ldvhl ніщо

Two good designs out of the gate! Thanks, ruhrgebietheld and Firebug!

10. GPuzzle

GPuzzle Available in wax cylinder!

I am pretty satisfied with this one. Tied in the concepts I wanted, which were City-State alliances, gold generation, working Forts and Musicians as a focal point. Didn't feel overbloated as well, which I like.

11. Natan35

Natan35 Mayor of St. Natansburg

It looks a bit OP...

12. GPuzzle

It's not my final submission - I just wanted to get the basic concepts down. I'm going to fine tune it until I'm satisfied.

13. COF

COF Emperor

Spoiler :
    tiles adjacents to Forts produce an additional +1 Food and +1 Production

It is this part that is OP here, you effectively give permanent +1 Food and +1 Production to six whole tiles. Which is insane.

14. Urdnot_Scott

Urdnot_Scott Sultan

My attempt!

Inspired by the dynastic nature of the Eóganachta, this civ is designed around uniting the world by the benevolence of your king, pretty suiting for a civilisation referred to as 'the gentle dynasty' ever since. The UA gives you diplomacy bonuses when the empire is happy with your kingship, and making sure your citizens are happy makes them more content with said kingship, making for a circular, unique and fitting UA which I quite like. The UB is inspired by Irish castles, the Eóganachta largely ruled via a patchwork of other dynasties and the castle is supposed to represent that, with happiness bonuses thanks to the decentralisation and increasing its tribute whenever they're particularly happy with your rulership - yet again I feel like that emphasises the 'victory through benevolence' aspect of the Eóganachta which I quite like while also focusing on gold and happiness to maximise the UA bonuses.

Finally, the Kern is inspired by the age old Irish tradition of raiding and small-warbands over large pitched battles. At first glance it may seem oddly warlike but note that when you connect a new resource through this means, any city demanding it will instantly enter We Love the King Day - completing the circle that is this design! It also makes it a bit more profitable to keep your neighbours around, but weaker, so you can milk them for their luxuries every so often, indirectly representing the elaborate system of tributaries and vassals which made up the realm of the Eóganachta kings.

Any thoughts?

15. ldvhl

ldvhl ніщо

I think both your designs - Gpuzzle and Urdnott_Scott - are great!

Urdnott, I take it the Crannog is supposed to be a unique building and not a unique unit?

16. Uighur_Caesar

Uighur_Caesar Comandante en Jefe

It may still need to be fixed a bit but I think it looks good. I wanted to represent how the Eoganachta used diplomacy and wealth rather than military power to achieve hegemony in southern Ireland. The Galloglaigh isn't exactly the most accurate unit that I could have used but it helps with the design. Galloglaigh were Scottish or Irish mercenaries which is why you're supposed to gift them. The Cloigtheach were bell towers which is why there's a Great Work of Music slot.

17. Firebug

Firebug Not-so Great Engineer

:(

I'll just go over here then.

18. ldvhl

ldvhl ніщо

No need to be sad man, I got you covered! Your participation is appreciated!

19. GPuzzle

Yup, satisifed with it. Final submission, shouldn't be OP. On top of that, I think I accomplished my goals here.

20. Natan35

Natan35 Mayor of St. Natansburg

Some are OP, some are the opposite ...
    and some are Hiram's!