Civ Helps Friend Win Geography Bee...

Do you think the Civ series can help you learn geography?

• Yes

Votes: 16 72.7%
  • No

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters

NeonInfusion

I live for Conquests.
Well anyway, my friend and I are heavily into Civilization. We "discuss" strategies, try out scenarios, and the like. Anyway, we had a geography bee in our school, and my friend and I made it to the school wide. I...um...lost. But, one of my friend's winning questions was: "During the Civil War, which city became the capital of the Confederacy?". Well, he had played the Civil War scenario, and (probably) beaten it, so he answered correctly, and won.

Do you think the Civilization series scenarios help with the learning of geography?

Stop traing to find silly exuses just not to have to study :)

Originally posted by NeonInfusion
I already study. Civ helps me in spare time.

Good for you... when I was a younger I played civilization original and civ2... man learned so much... back in the day the civilopedia used to give a page or two full of text on each technology of the tech tree.

Civ was my inspiration to study! Civ, you were a closer friend than TV

that's why I continue to play to this day...

Originally posted by NeonInfusion
Do you think the Civilization series scenarios help with the learning of geography?
I'd like to think your friend might have know the capital of the Confederacy without Civ. OTOH, if they'd asked the second largest city in Zululand on a random Pangaea map, he'd still have won. :)

The Civilopedia certainly contains a lot of valuable information.

Edit: It certainly helps you learn history. In my English class the other day a Cossack was mentioned in a story. I told my friend, "A Cossack is just like a normal Cavalry except it has an extra defense point." Shows where my mind is on weekdays, 7:30 to 2:30.

LOL

Well, it can help somewhat, I suppose.

What was the capital of the Persian Empire? Persepolis.

On the other hand, there are enough spelling mistakes (especially in the Barbarian tribes -- Teoihuacan [Teotihuacan]? Mycenian [Mycenaean]?) to negate the helpfulness. Also, playing Civ as India won't tell you where Madras is in the real world.

I live in the Capital of the Confederacy, so that seems like an easy question to me. :D

But no, not so much on geography, since (unless you play a good scenario) the locations aren't going to be the same anyways. History it might do more for, but probably just if you read all of the Civlopedia entries and even then it's not very in-depth. an hour of the History channel would do more than 10 of Civ.

Originally posted by trumpeteer
The Civilopedia certainly contains a lot of valuable information.

Edit: It certainly helps you learn history. In my English class the other day a Cossack was mentioned in a story. I told my friend, "A Cossack is just like a normal Cavalry except it has an extra defense point." Shows where my mind is on weekdays, 7:30 to 2:30.

You mean it is 10 shields cheaper and has blitz? ;)

Civ has helped me get good grades in world history..well i always did but I learned so much more!!

Anyway..I still havent answered question in Sid history (EX: Who was the Americans fighting in the American Revolution? I answer: Rome..lol)

Well, I guess the City Names at the very leastt might be accurate, but otehr from that, I think it might be easy to get confused between Civ3 and "Real" life, whatever that may be . . .

Originally posted by DasScoot
I live in the Capital of the Confederacy, so that seems like an easy question to me. :D

But no, not so much on geography, since (unless you play a good scenario) the locations aren't going to be the same anyways. History it might do more for, but probably just if you read all of the Civlopedia entries and even then it's not very in-depth. an hour of the History channel would do more than 10 of Civ.

Yeah, but in ten hours of Civ I can have Hannibal bring his elephants over the Alps and successfully bring Rome to her knees instead of just watching Rome eventually wipe out Carthage on the history channel...

I made 5th place in the provincial finals a couple of years ago, and I did it without civ. :p

the city names are, well, hilarious, often enough, so is a LOT of pedia info (car an AMERICAN invention? hello?) :lol:

had they been more thorough, though, civ would be great for 'general knowledge' & history learning ;p

Top Bottom