Civ Ideas & Suggestions Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread

Having just watched the Civ5 intro video on Youtube, here's one:

Never make an intro video with speaking parts. Ever. Again.

I heard it can't be skipped, as well. That is torture.

After Civ4's intro, this one is a real let down. Someone said the trailer was better than the intro. I agree.

I heard it can't be skipped, as well. That is torture.
It can. The game loads in the background, click or press any key, and it cancels the intro as soon as enough of the game is loaded to do so. If it's that troublesome, you can disable the intro video entirely in the .ini file (though you'll have to stare at a black screen for as long as the video normally would've played).

There's enough of an intro before the speaking starts that I've never even gotten close to the first line before the game's loaded.

It can. The game loads in the background, click or press any key, and it cancels the intro as soon as enough of the game is loaded to do so. If it's that troublesome, you can disable the intro video entirely in the .ini file (though you'll have to stare at a black screen for as long as the video normally would've played).

There's enough of an intro before the speaking starts that I've never even gotten close to the first line before the game's loaded.

Oh good. Thank you.

I still stand by my point about the intro being horrible.

and i still say civ5's way of loading is horrible. civ4 loads before they start the engine. why cant civ5 do the same thing?

-Opportunity to exit the initial video.
-New empire (but not byzantine empire, It was the continuation of the Roman Empire and retained that definition)
-More different units/structures for all civs (for example, it is strange that Rome does not have its own building, how strange it is that has not cataphract)
-Faster production, slower research.
-More resources (strategic and luxury (amber, coral))
-Extended Tech Tree
-Victory Videos
-submarines can enter the territory of other states in peace

the Byzantine Empire will be included in the game. nothing you can do about it.

the reason why is think the Byzantines would be included is because the ottoman capital is Istanbul, not Constantinople as it was supposed to be.

The Ottomans, the Turks in general, are a civilization that conquered Constantinople. The Byzantine Empire is the continuation of the Roman Empire. Therefore, there is no need of the Byzantine Empire, because it is a repeat. You can safely put cataphract units in the Roman Empire, because it was a unit of the Roman Empire (100 AD). And ippodrono was a copy of what was in Rome.

right cause the Roman Empire ended at 1453... the commonly accepted date was 476. the eastern part sort of became their own country over time. it was different from ancient Rome in all but name, and citizenry.

that and Augustus Caesar looks horrid. it seems that this Caesar is a lot more feminine. i hope Justinian isn't as gay.

I agree that August has a horrible look "in the game". It is very sad. But his staues are very different from the orrible design of the game.
You forget that roman empire was divided from that genius of Teodosio. After, the west fallen in 476, the east in 1204. East roman empire, this was the name until the end, because that was the continuous of the roman empire.
Byzanthin empire was a derogatory nickname. The Empire was known to its inhabitants as the Roman Empire.

ok so what I noticed in civ 5.. your city looks like it evolved to the modern era when first settleing

it kinda looks like this

and wouldn't it be nice if the first early city should be like a small little village? just like in civ 4 if I remember ..

sometimes, when settling on the hills, it certaintly looks like there is only one or two houses.

well.. yea but wouldn't it be cool if the city would look likke that all the time? :)
I meen when first settleing,afte you hit the right era,and enought population your city would look like some modern hinky pinky.. get it? :)

might seem silly to you, but since Civ 2, i have enjoyed cracking a beer after a long game and watching the little movie that shows the map over time. Please bring back this feature, thanks.

Moderator Action: Merged into this thread. The_J

might seem silly to you, but since Civ 2, i have enjoyed cracking a beer after a long game and watching the little movie that shows the map over time. Please bring back this feature, thanks.

Moderator Action: Merged into this thread. The_J

:goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::)

An option to turn off Research Pacts

Seriously. I can bumrush through the tech tree fast enough without the aid of seven free techs every 90 turns.

I wish that generals earned XP from the battles that they influenced and could get some promotions that would affects units under their influence. as is, a new general has the same impact as a general that has fought dozens of battles.

Moderator Action: Merged into the small suggestions thread. The_J

I wish that generals earned XP from the battles that they influenced and could get some promotions that would affects units under their influence. as is, a new general has the same impact as a general that has fought dozens of battles.

RAND had those. They were called Commanders and it was pretty cool. They had an AoE like the generals in CiV and everytime a unit in their AoE killed an enemy, the Commander gained experience to be used for things like Morale promos or Logistics.

i made such a mod for civ4.
you can find a link in my sig (Commanders)

Needs to be a way to have limited stacking of units, I hate losing land units to naval units at sea, would love to go back to making transports with at least some ability to defend them selves.

Same goes for artillery.

Maybe rule like no 2 units of same type can be stacked and a limit of 2-3 units, so you could stack a tank, infantry, and artillery on one tile. Attacker could choose which combat unit to attack (so one could attack tank or infantry but not the artillery), even if only allowed in your territory.

Something to stop worker from on auto from crossing water, they go off to sea and get dead all the time by enemy ships, really annoying.

Ability to build roads and railroad over mountains with dynamite.

I haven't played civ IV or civ V, so I don't know what the AI tribes you play against, but...

The biggest "defect" of the civ III AI, imo, lies in that it never plays for any sort of victory condition whatsoever. You might get conquered or make a mistake, or the AI might fall into a space race victory if you don't know what you're doing, or the AI might happen into a 100k victory, but it never seems to pursue winning the game. One might say the civ III doesn't appear to have any strategy.

Top Bottom