1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ Ideas & Suggestions Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Camikaze, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Lance Dagger

Lance Dagger Chieftain

So my biggest wish for this game is letting the city owner choose the next tile to expand into. The starting tile would be your base tile plus one and then each growth after that you choose one contiguous tile. This would allow two cities founded next to each other like DFW, Minneapolis St Paul, it would allow for cities on borders like Yuma, El Paso. two cities could be founded next to each other and still reach maximum growth. you could have a city that looks like a 20 tile snake. It allows for free form growth.

and it would allow you to consider adding major and minor cities as a concept to the game as well. Your top 10 largest cities are your major cities. In order to fill in the land around them, you would then found minor cities that didn't affect your growth/expansion cap, but at some point, you would need to merge those minor cities into a major city before you could expand or build further minors.

Additionally, it would make borders and border projection a more important concept. a city would project a border around it and certain wonders and buildings would increase that projection from one tile to two tiles to 3 tiles basically until it met another civs border projection. now you might invade to project your border with troops or offer to purchase a land square or squares from another country or you can press those borders forward or lose ground based on tourism, or faith, or culture. because keep in mind until a city expands or you found a minor city on land in your border it isn't really your it is only projected to be yours by your border rating. Buying tile would only be a claim to ownership and could potentially be lost until a city actually choose that tile to expand into. At some point, you could or would gift or annex a minor city into the area of a major city once its border had contact. You can build and man a fort with a unit to project a border forward or purchase any unclaimed tile to add to your borders or claim for your borders. You could have wonders that allow you to push your borders out but remember until you actually colonize those tiles you might lose them.

The expansion will now chase resources. Cities will expand organically and absorb other smaller cities. Border and border projection grow independent of colonization.

2. Zorrukk

Zorrukk Chieftain

Probably already been suggested but when you first meet a Civ and if you decide not to exchange capital info, you should not be able to send them a delegation.

3. Civilwar20

Civilwar20 Chieftain

Really interesting ideas ! I think that could add some more spice to the game ! :D

4. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

The post right after mine works really well:
    Go to random.org, look for 'random lists,' punch in whatever civs you want to choose from and hit 'randomize.' Take the #1 entry on the list that comes up.

5. CoconutTank

CoconutTank Unapologetic Warmonger Supporter

I want to be able to buy air units with faith :( I don't know if it has to come from a city state, or a wonder, or a building, but I'd like the option to.

Knightfall likes this.
  6. PiR

PiR Warlord

When we get a new trade route, opening the panel of available routes to find which city is best to start the route can become painful as the game progresses and the list becomes very long: a sort by gold/production/etc. would be welcome there, as it exists on the menu that we use just after, when the trader is created and just the destination has to be chosen.

Also, the subtitles of diplomatic victory are not synchronized with speech.

Also, at the end of the game, we have to select the same civic and tech every couple of turn. This is a clic for nothing. I think it was automated in Civ 4.

Lastly for tonight, military engineers building railways can be fastidious, hex by hex. Some road creation like the worker in Civ 4 could be welcome!

White Spider 8 and Knightfall like this.
  7. White Spider 8

White Spider 8 Chieftain

When capturing a city and deciding to keep it I think it would be nice to be able to move it, maybe only one tile. As the new owner we have the right to decide where the City Center is, though obviously can’t move it too far from where everyone lives. Perhaps a loyalty penalty for 5-10 turns if choosing this option, until the populace gets used to the change. As well as the old city center playing some sort of role... open to suggestions for that.

Historic Site (unlocked with some Civic) worth culture and tourism if nothing else done to it.

Districts built on it take 20% less production.

Something... idk, but too often City-States and AI settle one tile away from a good spot and it’s so disappointing to have to demolish a potentially good city and commit genocide on the population within to open it up for a more useful City.

Knightfall likes this.
  8. CoconutTank

CoconutTank Unapologetic Warmonger Supporter

Oh, I'd like to see either a civ ability or policy card that lets us auto-chop everything on a tile when placing a district on it :)

We kind of have an existing ability, or at least a similar trigger/hook: the Public Transport policy grants gold when one squashes a Farm with a Neighborhood.

Edit: Speaking of Public Transport, maybe it could also grant bonus production for Neighborhoods. I don't know if the production should be scaled somehow, but it should represent the idea of public transportation making it easier for workers to get to and from places of work.

Knightfall likes this.
  9. Chekko

Chekko Warlord

A "Focus" policy slot, every government has one, you can only have one slot and it does not go into Wildcard slots. Focus policies are used for things like the idea to play tall. I'm thinking you should not be able to change that slot too often and every card is available from the start

A Custom Civ. A Civ that develops from your gameplay. This Civ records your start, how your environment looks like in your first city and gives you a buff with that. Maybe you can choose what type of buff in the category so you get what you aim for). Next is what perk you get. It will start in Classical Era and will pick something based from what your biggest historical thing was in Ancient Era. First in the world with a huge population? You get a perk about population and so on. Your Unique Unit is what unit killed the most units or earned the most promotions but randomly selected from its next upgrade to Modern Era-upgrade. Last perk is given at the start of the Medieval Era and selects a perk based on what you have focused on in Classical Era. And to avoid having all these possible perks and stuff just for one Civ there could be a fun game mode for every civ about these perks. And the background recording thing can be used to bring back the Map Replay thing Civ 5 had.

CoconutTank, Knightfall and PiR like this.
  10. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir Emperor

I don't know if someone had brought this up in the past, but currently we don't have anything related to bath-able hot springs besides a Hungarian Bath that can be build anywhere together with your EC, despite the fact that we have steam-popping geothermal fissures.

I would like to suggest a Hot Springs Improvement, unlocked by a Medieval Era tech or civic, that can only be build on geothermal fissures. It will give +1 Amenity and +1 culture, and +1 culture for every adjacent districts. Later, upon researching the Culture Heritage civic, they can offer another +1 Amenity and +2 culture; the culture output will also generate tourism.

Knightfall likes this.
  11. Knightfall

Knightfall Warlord

Sounds like it could unlock with Games and Recreation, as that seems kind underpowered right now, and it would be logical.

12. Meowzer

Meowzer Warlord

World War 2 scenario - 9 players, 18 city-states
    Civilizations do not change governments unless they surrender (switch to government of conqueror).

Alliances at game start:
    USA-UK (Military), Germany-Italy (Military)

Grievances at game start:
    Australia, CPC (heavy), UK, USA, ROC (heavy) against Japan
    UK (heavy), USA, USSR (heavy) against Germany
    CPC (heavy) against ROC
    ROC (heavy) against CPC

City-states loyal to UK at game start:
    Canada, Ireland, Egypt, Iraq, Sudan, Nigeria, Somaliland, South Africa, India, Burma

Other city-states:
    Mexico, Brazil, Spain, Finland, Iran, Saudi Arabia, West Africa, Congo

Australia (Democracy, Curtin - +100% Production in all cities for the next 10 turns after liberating a city, Digger)
    At war with Japan
    CPC (Communism, Tse-Tung - Farms yield +1 Production, (none))
    At war with Japan
    Germany (Hitler - +1 Military policy slot, U-Boat)
    At war with UK, USA, USSR
    Italy (Mussolini - +100% Alliance points from Military Alliances, (none))
    At war with UK, USA, USSR
    Japan (Fascism, Tojo - All units gain +2 Combat Strength, Zero)
    At war with Australia, UK, USA
    UK (Monarchy, Churchill - +1 Diplomatic policy slot, Spitfire)
    At war with Germany, Italy, Japan
    USA (Democracy, Roosevelt - +1 Economic policy slot, Mustang)
    At war with Germany, Italy, Japan
    USSR (Communism, Stalin - +1 Military policy slot, Hunchback)
    At war with Germany, Italy
    ROC (Merchant Republic, Kai-shek - Land units gain +10 Defense Strength when defending a city, (none))
    At war with Japan

Knightfall likes this.
  13. Charlie Gulf

Charlie Gulf Chieftain

What if players were given the option to commit various (fictional) political/war crimes during conflicts which can sway the political/cultural climate. These crimes could be covered up to avoid repercussion, however spies of other-nations are given an espionage option to dig for sensitive material.

Sirsquier and Spectyr like this.
  14. Spectyr

Spectyr Chieftain

Considering the game is going in a fantastical direction in terms of gameplay options another cool addition to the game could include natural disasters that are actually Mythical Monster Disasters that attack improvements. And you need to take care of them through combat to remove them or wait for them to time out.

Knightfall likes this.
  15. Skullblits

Skullblits Chieftain

1st you need a option to stop progressing so you can play in a certain era.

Encampments need toned down alot they are OP as hell.

Need a option to play without the death robots

Units need to be able to do more damage to citys.
    Because sitting there boming a city for 6 or 9 damage at a time takes forever and is boring.

Game could be great but atm it's just frustrating

Knightfall likes this.
  16. PiR

PiR Warlord

Are you attacking the city with the right units? :confused:

Knightfall likes this.
  17. Skullblits

Skullblits Chieftain

Yea arty and bombers. But this happend awhile ago. Perhaps they rebalanced it so they do more damage.

Knightfall likes this.
  18. RKP79

RKP79 Chieftain

A few suggestions for next update that will make me go less crazy:

Offset the view to the disaster in your own territory and leave it there, maybe until an "okay" is pressed. Ensure that the animation for the disaster and, MOST IMPORTANTLY, the updated resource graphics are visible before transferring the view away. 99% of the time there is a disaster and the view is partially blocked by a pop-up. I Acknowledge the pop-up and then the view is whisked away to an awaiting unit or worse, just the centered capitol view. I miss where it even occurred on my map or where the new resource perks are. Plus I want to see the cool volcano explosion... Another fix would be to cut away to the disaster like a wonder animation except it needs to include the resource update.

Create a notification in the lower right corner for when an active trade deal has expired. We get notifications for nearly everything else but I often have way to many trades active to notice when one goes away unless the other leader wishes to renegotiate. How many millions of gold have I lost over the years missing a few turns not realizing my (non-alliance) trades concluded?

Thanks

Knightfall likes this.
  19. PiR

PiR Warlord

When we are (re)positionning a governor, please allow us to sort cities by name or loyalty

Knightfall likes this.
  20. Ray Pearce

Ray Pearce Chieftain

Can we have an option in Create Game to start with the last settings used? I tend to either vary my selections as a tweak on my last game or just play the same settings.

Knightfall likes this.