1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ III AI stupidities

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by CivFan91, Sep 20, 2005.

1. gunkulator

gunkulator Emperor

The only thing I've seen that gets the AI out of Democracy is if they are having unit support problems (or they are overthrown). The AI doesn't like to run a deficit. At Emperor and above, the AI can switch gov'ts rapidly anyway so being religious doesn't factor in.

2. Gilder

Gilder Deity

I've seen them build battleships, destroyers, even subs, but not transports. They stick with Galleons in my games.

3. gunkulator

gunkulator Emperor

Sink a few of those galleons and you'll see transports. In fact, once they have the right tech and oil, they can't build anymore galleons.

4. Bungus

Bungus Archont of Cootertown

Hahahaha.. In conquests though they like fascism when war breaks out. And the Republic to Democracy switch is only stupid because Democracies are only marginaly better.
    Most of the AI's defincencies can be worked around with some knowledgable use of the editor. For AI hardly upgrades, because of the high upgrade cost. If this is lowered, the AI upgrades all the time, if they have the cash. Many units don't see use (by the AI) in the standard game because of theit stats or the way they are flagged (artillery aside). If you build the game around the AI and know how it works, you can make it behave twice as smart. Surprisingly, the original developers didn't do this though. But its possible for us to.

5. CivFan91

CivFan91 Emperor

More of a cheat than a stupidity: Even on Chief, where everything goes your way, the AI has never experienced War Weariness. In fact, I have rarely seen the AI go into disorder, period. Even if I've detroyed a city's Temples, Cathedrals, etc., and has no Wonders, and is size 8. Oh, and they are in Republic. Never once did they riot.

6. Bungus

Bungus Archont of Cootertown

I've never heard of that before. Are we talking about conquests?

7. CivFan91

CivFan91 Emperor

We can talk about any version of any release. I happen to play (and love) Conquests V.1.22. Of course, on C3C, the AI cheats and sees where you are at all times. Adds to the difficulty, IMHO.

8. Morcant

Morcant Chieftain

The AI never learns not to mess with a human player when he is a super power.

France had better not jack up the price of 3 lux for Iron, horses, spices, dyes, and 55gpt (i'm the one paying 55gpt). They damn well know what happend to persia... :mischief: (compleatly conqured in 3 turns for making spicses and dyes too much money, 10gpt at the time)

9. CivFan91

CivFan91 Emperor

If you are playing Sid and the AI outnumbers you 100 to one, it will not blast you off the planet like it should.

10. tR1cKy

tR1cKy taking over the world

Er... they do suffer war weariness, and heavily. This is from my replayed GotM 43:

The apparent absence of war weariness in your games must have another reason. Actually, in Republic, it takes a while for WW to kick in, expecially if it's you to declare on them and not the vice-versa. It is possible that your wars are too short, of the damage you inflict on the enemies too little. Who knows?

11. CivFan91

CivFan91 Emperor

Yeah, maybe they're too short to see a WW city. I prefer lightning strikes with superior units, instead of wars of attrition, because the Battle Random Number Generator is so awkward.

It lets me win desicively one time, and then my same unit, with same HP, does the same battle against another of the same unit, and it loses! Not as outrageous as spear vs. tank, since I was in IA, but you'd think a Crusader can beat a Barb Horseman, even if he is on a hill.

12. Choffy

Choffy One more turn

Most stupid thing for me : To do not connect horse and iron when available.

13. TimBentley

TimBentley Deity

14. oldStatesman

oldStatesman Cybernaut

Do you have a suggestion for mods that do this? I don't have the time, but would like to play one...TIA! :)

15. CivFan91

CivFan91 Emperor

I'll make the game harder after I win a few on Sid level. Being newer to Conquests, I am playing at Regent... go figure. :p

16. Civlord

Civlord King

I hope Civ4 is better.

17. Own

Own Grasshoppah

Not exact, didn't feel like copy/paste, but really I'm just mentioning this because of the stupid 10 character limit.

18. tR1cKy

tR1cKy taking over the world

Want to know a fresh AS stupidity? I'm playing a game right now. One of the opponent civs are the Aztecs. They have the biggest landmass and the better terrain. They have spare sources of silks, incense, iron and saltpeter that they could trade for money or other luxuries they need. Well, i'm in 1090AD now and they're still unconnected with the other civs! Yes, they didn't build a single road to link with the others, they didn't build a single harbor! And so they can't trade anything and their economy is hopelessly broken.

If i wouldn't be going for 20K i would already crushed them. But i'm doing it anyway. They're simply too stupid to survive.

19. CivFan91

CivFan91 Emperor

Once, I tried to put NoAIpatrol=0 in thr .ini file, but i misspelled part of it, and all AI units cleared their cities at all times. A bug really, of my own making, no less, but it was really funny.

20. Own

Own Grasshoppah

What was the typo :) ? I'd like to try that out.